Recommended Blu-Ray player

007nco

Depends on how long I can deal with the issues on the gaming systems.  May look for a used OPPO if can find a good deal and sell after better stuff comes along.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-oppo-digital-bdp-83-se-in-excellent-condition-2015-10-28-digital-92067-rancho-santa-fe-ca

Very good deal, IMO.

Bill

A year ago I had considered upgrading my 103... to the 103D. However, hdmi spec for both the 103 & 103D use the old 1.4a hdmi spec from 2010 (1.4a, among other things is limited to 8 bit color, lesser bandwidths, etc.). The later hdmi 2.0 spec has been out since 2013 & offers higher bandwidth that supports 12-bit color, 32 audio channels (Atmos), & higher bandwidths up to 18Gbps  (and many other audio & video features).  The current version is hmdi 2.0a, which provides even more benefits including support for HDR enabled TV's (4K).

And completely separate, is HDCP 2.2 (copy protection) which is not supported by either the Oppo 103 or the 103D. Before I dropped any $$ to upgrade, I wanted to see if Oppo had any plans to offer new models that meet with with both hdmi 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 compliance. At the time I was informed that it would be late 2016 before anything from Oppo will be available with support for hdmi 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 with a future UHD player.

If I were you, I'd grab a more budget friendly interim piece for now... & spend $$$ with a future UHD 4K player when they get released. Tomorrow, I'll touch base with Oppo & see if there is any new info or time frame with a future release. 

Email:

Hbkceh.png

• Like 1

Honestly, if you are outputting to HDMI and watching Blurays, I don't see the point of anything beyond a sub-$100 Sony player.  I have two.  They have worked well for a few years.  They are disposable if they ever break down. They gets the bits off the disk and onto the HDMI transport.

I like my Sony BDP-S790 it's fast and delivers a sharp picture.  Why not get a player from the company that developed the Blu-Ray disc.  I thought about an OPPO but just could not justify the cost unless I could see that it is truly that much better than my Sony.

Honestly, if you are outputting to HDMI and watching Blurays, I don't see the point of anything beyond a sub-$100 Sony player.  I have two.  They have worked well for a few years.  They are disposable if they ever break down. They gets the bits off the disk and onto the HDMI transport.

I have owned my Panasonic DMP-BD30 since 2008 and it has never missed a beat.  Fast loading(for then), sharp picture, never freezes or refuses to play anything.  It msrp'd for $499.00 but I bought it open box at BB for about $185.00.

Throw away players today are nothing like throw away players back then. 

I can say money very well spent.

Bill

Another plus about the 103 (and I think the 105 is the same) you can plug a Roku stick into the front of it and have the Roku Version of the apps and/or apps that the Oppo doesn't have yet.

The Netflix app on Roku works pretty well.  I have never had a problem with that.

103D here.  People forget that besides Blu-rays, the Oppo plays just about any file type.  Whether it be video wrapper or audio.  I have my entire music collection ripped to flac, including multi-channel SACD and DVD-A albums and being able to play those flawlessly is huge.  That alone made the purchase worth it for me.

I own the Oppo 103D and use it with an LED Tv. I wasn't sure if I would notice a difference but surprisingly I can and it does give off some nicer details. Run the darbee at 35-40% anymore and you start to see artifacts imo. I love the player and it just got an upgrade for Tidal which I also run through it. Sweet!

I like my Sony BDP-S790 it's fast and delivers a sharp picture.  Why not get a player from the company that developed the Blu-Ray disc.  I thought about an OPPO but just could not justify the cost unless I could see that it is truly that much better than my Sony.

I own the Sony S790 in a small system the Oppo 103D in the main system. Both are great players but the Oppo has the edge especially with the darbee version. If your on a budget the S790 can be had for much less and will satisfy.

I have a 103 and a one terabyte harddrive that has all my music, pictures, and videos on it plugged into the 103.      

I also have the Sony S790 and run a hdmi cable into the 103.  Also I run my ps3 into the oppo(two hdmi inputs and two hdmi outputs) so I have one hdmi cable to my tv instead of three.

103 also has three usb ports.    

The Sony S790 is great choice if $500 is too much.  

Another vote for Oppo. I have a 103 in our HT and it's excellent, both in terms of SQ and and overall quality. Bought it new. Also picked up a used Oppo 95 for separate 2 ch system based on reviews and comments about SQ. It is excellent (although admittedly underutilized) and the overall quality is far better than the lemon Marantz cdp I returned after it proved defective right out of the box.

• 2 months later...

So what did you end up with?

I got the Sony below in my signature and actually like it a lot more than the XBOX ONE or the PS3 I have had in the room. Sort of a "hold me by" unit while I wait for the 4K BDP and the 4K TV's to match up so to speak. The 75" Samsung has been getting pretty good in price at the local Costco store and tempt me every time I visit. :ph34r: I have some acoustic and finish work to do for the interim, the fun never ends! Edited by 007nco
  • Like 1

2nd hand OPPO BDP-83...I bought it in excellent condition about 6 years ago when I had an issue with the loading mechanism...I tried to get the captured DVD out myself and despite my best efforts, I ham handed it and got the DVD free but now the door wouldn't work...took it out of the rotation.

This thread along with some others on here encouraged me to send an email to OPPO...I received a reply within hours...sent the player back home for repair and within hours of FedEx saying to was at OPPO, I received another email saying my player was on its way back to me repaired...

I just received the player back from OPPO, less than a week after sending it by FedEx Ground (5 days) and it works great...I only paid shipping to OPPO...they repaired and sent it back to me no charge...and this is how they do customer service, I didn't ask for any favors just an estimate for repair.

OPPO would be my recommendation.

Bill

• Like 1