The joys of outdoor La Scala's

jimjimbo

We had what will probably be one of our last really, really nice days and evenings here in N. Indiana, so our small circle of neighbors decided to have an impromptu cookout, firepit fire, and tunes, courtesy of (you know who....)  Once again, set up my refrubed beater La Scala's out in the driveway, streaming Spotify Premium through a nice Yamaha receiver.  Every time I do that, I come away with an appreciation of how great these speakers really are....nothing to worry about as far as room size, reflections, bass traps, etc, etc, etc....just pure quality.  Great time.

If playing the Woodstock album outdoors you may want to skip past Country Joe McDonald and the Fish.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am off to prove your theory on La Scalas and the great outdoors! Got old pallets to start the bonfire and my new salvaged LS's loaded up and ready to go to the country! Going to be a little colder than planned but we probably wont notice.

attachicon.gifpallets.JPG

I think you will be pleasantly surprised....have a great time!

Huge success! We had a short listening session on Friday night. Then weather did not cooperate for most of the day Saturday with cold, rain and even a little snow! Good thing I made the covers for them! By Saturday evening, the rain was gone, the covers came off, the bonfire was lit and we had a blast. None of the guys had even heard of Klipsch much less the La Scalas (we lead sheltered lives). They could be heard for miles. I was very impressed with these old speakers and how they performed.

• 1 year later...

Resurrected Jim's old thread because I was out in the country this weekend with old friends and dragged my LS's out for the bonfire. Did this two nights in a row and listened for hours on end, long after the fire burned down. If you ever get the chance to listen to these speakers outside, go for it. Jim's neighbors will attest to it. The wildlife near us this weekend didn't know what to think. Took this photos in total darkness with just the light from the fire that was 150 feet away.

lsbonfire3.thumb.jpg.c97fa4da5b21df15387e698a63972607.jpg

• Like 5

I had to settle for La Scalas outside over the weekend while painting the garage.  Normally I would have used my DIY boom box, but my son borrowed it for a picnic, so I had to make do with the La Scalas.

The sound was superb.  Even when behind the speakers they sounded very good.

My excuse was to get the recently Duratexed La Scalas out in the sun to cure the finish.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 7/10/2017 at 8:25 PM, DizRotus said:

I had to make do with the La Scalas

Oh that's rough, how did you put up with it. 

This is from a old thread, someone brought a pair out to the desert and camped out. 

speakers desert.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 7/10/2017 at 8:02 PM, MookieStl said:

Resurrected Jim's old thread because I was out in the country this weekend with old friends and dragged my LS's out for the bonfire.

I think you need to do this more often than every 2 years.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dtel said:

I think you need to do this more often than every 2 years.

Oh, I have a couple of other times. I also have set him up pretty good with some outdoor speakers (JBL Northridge and Klipsch KHO7s) so we always have music to listen to while outside. We've been friends for over 50 some years and his health is failing, so a small group of us go out there to help maintain the property. The LS's are just for a treat. Hopefully in the fall I am going to double up on them. I also have a pair of LSI splits. With four of them rocking, it will be an experience.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I also have a pair of LSI splits. With four of them rocking, it will be an experience.

The splits are my favorite LaScala, after the ll version which I wouldn't drag outside. That's some good looking LaScalas in the picture.

I think it might be because many year ago Colter bought a pair of splits about 3 hours from me and I picked them up for him, and listened to them for a few months until he could get them. 

Later I built a similar pair of the tops to go on top of a couple extra mwm bass bins I had for yard speakers, it's like a split LaScala but with more bass. They do sound good outside in the yard but a little harder to move, it takes two people or the tractor. Plus the yard speakers or LaScalas with a 12V t-amp and an Ipad or phone can be completely portable, very handy.

That's a very nice thing to do for a friend. :emotion-21:  

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 10:01 PM, dtel said:

Oh that's rough, how did you put up with it. 

This is from a old thread, someone brought a pair out to the desert and camped out. 

speakers desert.jpg

looks like a scrubbed picture ...that did not make it on

Pink Floyd's wish you were here

• Like 1

The first commercial sale of LaScalas, VERY EARLY ON...was FOR USE OUTSIDE!  Actually, the speaker was still in DEVELOPMENT, when that sale occurred!

Winthrop Rockefeller was running for Governor of Arkansas, and wanted a Klipsch speaker which could sit atop a flat trailer outside as he "stumped the state" at local Bar-B-Ques and such around the state.  He wanted something that would work as a PA speaker system for both his own speeches and the live bands (generally country or bluegrass in those days!) which would be playing from a large flat-bed trailer being used as a "stage" at the events.

I am not sure exactly sure which year he first wanted the speakers, but it was likely as early as 1964 for his first (unsuccessful) run for Governor, or in 1966 when he ran and won the governorship of Arkansas.

So, his purchase was the first...and what he got from Klipsch were LaScalas (maybe not the final version, though!)...and they were used for outside performances and speeches.

LaScalas always sound great outside!  Maybe because that particular usage was a major PART of the "design parameters" in the LaScala development phases????

• 11 months later...