The joys of outdoor La Scala's

jimjimbo

20 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Well, I was at it again, enjoying LaScalas outdoors! This time for a company picnic. Turned all four loose for this one since it was a large area. Didn't get to crank 'em (family picnic) but did receive many comments on how clean and clear the sound was even from far away.

LS4.thumb.jpg.8378fd9bd0418284f8f53b3da7fe5f89.jpg

=== looks like a fun adult Easter Egg hunt — I need a bigger basket -

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

It is springtime, so I am reviving this thread again. I promise this will be the last time I do.

I have mentioned previously in this thread that I frequently take my LS's out to the country are let them run wild. The main reason for these excursions was to take my best friend out to his river house for a change of scenery and some fresh air as he battled cancer. After a ten year fight, cancer finally took my buddy (of over 54 years). Three of us that would take him out there were able to get away this past weekend to unwind and search (in vain) for some closure. To keep this field trip on a positive note, I brought all four of my La Scala's and we had our own little concert in the woods. Bittersweet at best. "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd was the highlight/lowlight of the festivities. 

The speakers didn't disappoint as it was the first time I hook all four up out there where we can get as loud and obnoxious as we want (and we did)!

@codewritinfool suggested I add his two and his THTLP sub for the next trip! Look out!

4scala.thumb.jpg.44c065863793f82959c105658ed99387.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 11/4/2015 at 7:35 PM, jimjimbo said:

We had what will probably be one of our last really, really nice days and evenings here in N. Indiana, so our small circle of neighbors decided to have an impromptu cookout, firepit fire, and tunes, courtesy of (you know who....)  Once again, set up my refrubed beater La Scala's out in the driveway, streaming Spotify Premium through a nice Yamaha receiver.  Every time I do that, I come away with an appreciation of how great these speakers really are....nothing to worry about as far as room size, reflections, bass traps, etc, etc, etc....just pure quality.  Great time.

Oh SWEET!!

I have my La Scalas hopelessly IN MY BASEMENT but just bought two 40ft 14GA speaker wires to run two JBL Control X weather resistant speakers! They won't supplant the La Scalas but they should be a vast improvement over the crappy computer speakers I'm currently running out in my Screen Room for outside!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Demander Of Decent Sound Just About Everywhere!

The key is not to sit close. The further away the better. I took a hike into the woods to see just how far i could hear them. I got tired and turned back. Still loud and clear.

This pic gives you an idea of proximity. Once the fire burns down, we move up into the chairs shown.

BF.thumb.JPG.6f85b8a76d42b836e0348d9827174505.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mookie similar story here but not to that point thank goodness. A few years back a buddy of mine was in a very dark place. I gave him a set of Chorus 2's as he always enjoyed music. He credits this to saving his life. Music does transcend boundaries. I hope this gave you guys some closure, luckily for me I still got my buddy and we crank the sh&t out of those C2's every change we get!

Those 4 scala's look awesome by the way!!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, MookieStl said:

The key is not to sit close. The further away the better. I took a hike into the woods to see just how far i could hear them. I got tired and turned back. Still loud and clear.

This pic gives you an idea of proximity. Once the fire burns down, we move up into the chairs shown.

BF.thumb.JPG.6f85b8a76d42b836e0348d9827174505.JPG

=== that’s not a fifth LS in the middle of that fire, is it? A fire suppressant is close by - right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rockhound said:

Mookie similar story here but not to that point thank goodness. A few years back a buddy of mine was in a very dark place. I gave him a set of Chorus 2's as he always enjoyed music. He credits this to saving his life. Music does transcend boundaries. I hope this gave you guys some closure, luckily for me I still got my buddy and we crank the sh&t out of those C2's every change we get!

Those 4 scala's look awesome by the way!!

Good story. My buddy was given two years to live and made it 10! Music was a big part of his life and we made sure he was always surrounded by it. Made his journey more enjoyable. Also provide him with the other "best medicine", laughter. We always laughed til we cried when we would get together. Mostly old stories from our younger days. The older we got, the better we were!

• Like 3

On 9/17/2018 at 6:29 PM, joshnich said:

The first time I heard Klipsch was at an outdoor party. They were Cornwall’s not LaScalas but I still remember how remarkable the sound was. I bought my own pair shortly thereafter! 

Probably around 1973 I believe. 

J

Me too.  Closer to 1986/87.  I didn't know what they were.  I know I liked the sound and I remembered the V front.  That single event factored in to my putting a big Klipsch logo on my splits.  Big enough that ANYONE that happens to hear them in the future doesn't have to wonder what they are.  They can take a photo from a long way away and still be able to read the logo, go home, and type in KLIPSCH and find the site.  Then order some.  That's my theory, anyway.

• Like 1

Does anyone here remember the pictures of the Mazda Miata with a pair of La Scalas on the rear deck?  They were on a blanket, and I think it was done just to take the picture, not to actually drive around with those big guys unsecured.  It did look very cool.

Coytee once said that La Scalas were the ideal college dorm speakers for two reasons:  they're too big and heavy to steal, and they're stable enough to allow drunk girls to dance on them safely.  That must have been a pretty fine party!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Islander said:

Does anyone here remember the pictures of the Mazda Miata with a pair of La Scalas on the rear deck?  They were on a blanket, and I think it was done just to take the picture, not to actually drive around with those big guys unsecured.  It did look very cool.

You’re correct.  We never drove around with those on the rear deck lid.  Note how they made the little MX5 almost do a stationery wheelie.

Although they never played while on the car, they have been played outdoors.  As others have said, the outdoor sound is amazing.  What is lost in low bass (not really much there indoors either) is more than made up for by the reflection-free midrange and treble.

post-6832-0-93440000-1423926401_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The  MX5 was horn loaded even without the La Scalas.  Look carefully and you’ll see the tip of the red air horn in front of the oil cooler.  That Italian air horn made a statement; the door buzzer Mazda provided did not.

post-6832-0-00640000-1463065100_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1