New to me, first pair of Heresy's

jason str

Not really thrilled with my first pair of Heresy's.

Fixed a rattle already, one of the rear covers was rattling and a few new screws fixed that problem but they sound kinda lifeless compared to other sets i heard over the years.

They have the K-22, K-55, K-77 so the basics for decent sound should be there but to tell the truth my KG-4's have a nicer more open sound.

Capacitors may be way out of spec, this will be my first task before smearing a few coats of lipstick on them to spruce them up.

Maybe i just expected too much.

Does the K-55 have the seal between the driver & horn on these ?
Yup. Bob's got 'em.

Skies the limit for re-assembly errors from previous ownership. People simply like to mess with them...Polarity check good? Does the filter network look like it's been tinkered with?

If you've got an impedance meter, I can PM you sweeps for a good K77M to compare against. I don't have any data for the 55 squawker on the 700 horn, nor the 22 woofer.

KG4 is a different animal. The 3-way is going to sound a bit different than the 2-way right up front.

• Like 1

Does the K-55 have the seal between the driver & horn on these ?

Yup. Bob's got 'em.

I will pull them apart and have a look.

Skies the limit for re-assembly errors from previous ownership. People simply like to mess with them...Polarity check good? Does the filter network look like it's been tinkered with?

Just had a quick peek when i pre-drilled the holes for the new back panel screws, i will go into more detail tomorrow.

If you've got an impedance meter, I can PM you sweeps for a good K77M to compare against. I don't have any data for the 55 squawker on the 700 horn, nor the 22 woofer.

I have my trusty snap on digital multimeter.

KG4 is a different animal. The 3-way is going to sound a bit different than the 2-way right up front.

Most of my Klipsch products have been 3 way's, normally that is what i gravitate to. Wish i still had my La Scala's but i fell on hard times and had to sell, still have the Chorus II's though.

Jason,

Something must be a little off kilter IMO.  My Heresys have rebuilt crossovers and CT-125 tweeters so I can't really speak of out of spec performance.  With that said, I have owned Quartets, fortes, Heresys, and Heresy II's all at the same time and still own the HI's and HII's.  Don't get me wrong, the fortes and quartets are incredible speakers but I think the Heresys just have something special that I can't really put my finger on.  They just sound really good and "accurate" to me.

You may have an air leakage thing going on so some weather stripping for the rear panel may be something to consider.  When Marshall and Mike refreshed my Heresy crossovers, we added weather stripping to make a tight seal.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

I flowed a bunch of wood glue into the joints inside the cabinets as well.  Did one side at a time so gravity would help... just glued the bottom joints and once it dried turned the speaker to the next side.  Old caps can really make these things sound dull too.

• Like 1

Good idea, i have plenty of PLx3 on hand.

Crossovers first i think, parts are cheap (1% Daytons) and my guess should be the biggest improvement.

Cabinet leaks will be taken care of but most likely not the problem I'm experiencing.

If when all is done and these work out i will re-cone the K-22's if Klipsch still stocks the parts, the cones look as dry as 80 year old hooker cooch.

I rebuilt a pair of abused Heresy's (dog attack) earlier this year. They sounded good but not great so I got the crossovers recapped by Bob and it made a huge difference. Yours are about the same age as mine, so it may be the answer. If you can do basic soldering, the kits are very reasonable, or send them to Bob and he will turn them around quickly and at not a whole lot more out of pocket.

• Like 1

I rebuilt a pair of abused Heresy's (dog attack) earlier this year. They sounded good but not great so I got the crossovers recapped by Bob and it made a huge difference. Yours are about the same age as mine, so it may be the answer. If you can do basic soldering, the kits are very reasonable, or send them to Bob and he will turn them around quickly and at not a whole lot more out of pocket.

Over the years i have sent countless friends and forum members to Bob but i have no problem doing my own repairs.

Parts are under $10 so no biggie.

With a multimeter you'll also need a tone generator and bridge resistor.  Not a biggie, but just a pain in the butt over having a woofer tester.

Wish i still had my La Scala's but i fell on hard times and had to sell, still have the Chorus II's though.
I forgot all about that :blush2: ....with the THT and all. You got rid of them? 13.gif Bummer.

With a multimeter you'll also need a tone generator and bridge resistor.  Not a biggie, but just a pain in the butt over having a woofer tester.

I could burn some tones i guess, what's the bridge resistor consist of ?  Just a resistor ?

Wish i still had my La Scala's but i fell on hard times and had to sell, still have the Chorus II's though.
I forgot all about that :blush2: ....with the THT and all. You got rid of them? 13.gif Bummer.

Yea, kinda bummed out still over the sale, i miss the minute details of the La Scala.

Have a new THTLP ready to construct for myself so no huge loss over the sale of the old one, probably building an 18" x 18" x 72" version 12" driver but not 100% sure as of yet but all the parts are here at least.