New to me, first pair of Heresy's

jason str

Well.....

Good news & bad.

Good first i guess. Woofer dust cap repair fixed all the racket on the K-22. Happy Happy Joy Joy

Now the bad. Tweets are bad, borrowed a set from a friend for testing and these things sound pretty good.

Called Bob this morning to see if he had any NOS diaphragms or something worth while but no dice and i don't have the cash for a new set unfortunately until something sells.

So, here i sit in limbo unless somebody has a set of good NOS diaphragms for my K-77's.

Seal the backs.....and add a layer to the inside of the panel to stiffen it up more. The caps and polarity probably are jacked with. Rick

I was suprised to find the rear panel is only 1/2" plywood, bracing could be an easy fix i guess.

if you build two you will know otherwise you are kidding yourself.

Here is my H3 retro brace job that's 3/4" white oak the horizontal baffle brace between the woofer and K701 is wide to allow for woofer check out.these cabinets are air tight and very solid now with two full length verticals on both sides and back and a single on the top and the bottom all panels are tied together side to side front to back and top to bottom. Every corner seam between panel to panel now has a 3/4" batten. These speaker have real impact capability now.

I may run 2 strips down the back on the inside 1/2" or so from the K-55 with a center support & some minor wedges between the squawker & woofer cone but not going overboard as i don't feel its needed with Baltic Birch.

Kidding myself ?

When i was younger i felt the same way you do and used 1" stock and doubled up the motorboard, now i know better.

If i was using the Heresy to hold up a building i would add support but these small panels of 3/4" BB braces are not warranted.

we will just have to agree to disagree. time only continues to convince me of the advantages in building a minimum flexing cabinet.

I will be interested in hearing your opinion of the speakers once they have working parts. I like the eminence tweeter better than the k77.

Won't ship for a week, until we're back in the States.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea, i have plenty of PLx3 on hand.

Crossovers first i think, parts are cheap (1% Daytons) and my guess should be the biggest improvement.

Cabinet leaks will be taken care of but most likely not the problem I'm experiencing.

If when all is done and these work out i will re-cone the K-22's if Klipsch still stocks the parts, the cones look as dry as 80 year old hooker cooch.

You should replace the caps.  I doubt that the woofers need to be reconed. 

Yes there is a red rubber washer between the K-55 and the horn throat.  Most any will do if it doesn't obstruct the throat. 

Here is what I run in my rear channel Heresies. 

post-43-0-25000000-1447818554_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Albright
  • Like 1

Good idea, i have plenty of PLx3 on hand.

Crossovers first i think, parts are cheap (1% Daytons) and my guess should be the biggest improvement.

Cabinet leaks will be taken care of but most likely not the problem I'm experiencing.

If when all is done and these work out i will re-cone the K-22's if Klipsch still stocks the parts, the cones look as dry as 80 year old hooker cooch.

You should replace the caps.  I doubt that the woofers need to be reconed. 

Yes there is a red rubber washer between the K-55 and the horn throat.  Most any will do if it doesn't obstruct the throat. 

Here is what I run in my rear channel Heresies. 

Crossovers have been recapped, found out the tweeters are not working properly & waiting on a set from Bruce (Marvel).

Washers are OK.

Waiting to hear them with the stock crossovers before doing anything else.

Wow you really braced the backs. I think a simple extra layer of ply would have been easier . Isn't that extra wood gonna change the volume of the cab.?Rick

There is less wood involved in the bracing than there would be if i put an extra layer of 1/2" ply on the inside and the bracing is many many times stronger.

Easier is not always best.

So less volume & stronger = better in my view.

Edited by jason str

Let me start with a big thank you to Bruce (Marvel) for the set of Bob's CT-125 tweeters, they came packed nicely and arrived quickly.

Big improvement from how they first arrived, the new tweeters have a sound that blends well with the midrange, cymbals have a nice crash, a good soundstage with an open and airy sound very different from any K-77 i have heard. Sound is very in your face but this should change with future crossover modifications.

Missing is some detail the K-77 provides though the 125 sounds as if it reaches higher in frequency.

Crossover mods are surely needed, the woofer needs a bit more volume compared to the mids & highs.

That dustcap came loose again so i picked up some epoxy when i ran out for weatherstripping and a few extra screws (8) for the back cover, olny one screw was in the top and the bottom of the cabinet to hold on the panel, now there is three.

Next should i perform the crossover modification to bring down the squacker & tweeter or pick up a pair of Delta Pro 12A's, i don't really need anything below 70 Hz as the sub takes over anything below 80 Hz and i think the Delta will provide more detail in the midbass.

Great sound from a small cabinet for sure but there is still room for improvement, step by step they will eventually shine.

Sorry about the sub par pictures, this camera is garbage and has no flash to boot.

post-28570-0-67640000-1447992520_thumb.jpost-28570-0-43000000-1447992557_thumb.j

Jason,

I'm glad they arrived ok. I would do the crossover mod from the link I sent you. Most everyone I know who has tried that likes it. The K55 is way too hot for my tastes and bringing the mids down will make the bass seem much stronger. Like Dean has pointed out, many do the same on their LaScalas, so you don't get the buzz saw in your head feeling. I think the tweeter sound way better than the K77s, ymmv.

Just keep us pdated.

Bruce

• Like 1

if the current woofers are working properly, the switch to the Delta's would be only a slight improvement. Not a great bang for the buck IMO but an improvement none the less. With all of your experience with subwoofers, I would experiment with changing the crossover point a little first. I never found my Hersey's lacking in that arena, adding a sub always filled any voids I felt there were. Turning the K55 down a bit may a better answer. Either way, I am sure you'll have fun with it.

• Like 1

Id like to see a clearer picture of the seal material installed please. :)

Are you planning on making bracing kits? Cornwall version?

Are my camera skills not professional ? You really can't see the sealing material ?

LOL. :D

Kidding of course.

What i used is window air sealing foam from the local Ace hardware, 1/4" wide x 1/8" High.

I just run it like it was a pinstripe overlapping the ends then cutting them both at the same time and removing the excess and lining up the ends to make a leak free seal.

I miss my La Scala's dearly, if i was going to build anything it would be a pair of those but not going to happen in the near future.

Jason,

I'm glad they arrived ok. I would do the crossover mod from the link I sent you. Most everyone I know who has tried that likes it. The K55 is way too hot for my tastes and bringing the mids down will make the bass seem much stronger. Like Dean has pointed out, many do the same on their LaScalas, so you don't get the buzz saw in your head feeling. I think the tweeter sound way better than the K77s, ymmv.

Just keep us pdated.

Bruce

I tell you both have their strength but the 125 has the edge, they are keepers.

The crossover mod will be the next step.

Edited by jason str

if the current woofers are working properly, the switch to the Delta's would be only a slight improvement. Not a great bang for the buck IMO but an improvement none the less. With all of your experience with subwoofers, I would experiment with changing the crossover point a little first. I never found my Hersey's lacking in that arena, adding a sub always filled any voids I felt there were. Turning the K55 down a bit may a better answer. Either way, I am sure you'll have fun with it.

Yes i agree not a great bang for the buck but it may be an option in the future, after hearing Claude's super heresy set i knew it was a great option to think about.

I am running a Table Tuba with the Heresy's and it works fantastic but its the woofer that now sounds like the weak link so croosover mods first then another evaluation.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1