think this would work?

Kman

My first plan was to purchase RF7-RC64 for my front three once my room is done. I don't have a false wall,  so speakers will be exposed. no biggie. But was wondering if I could save some room up front and maybe have a cleaner appearance. So was wondering If I have some enclosures built along the side of screen instead that would house some RB81ii's instead. having the front portion enclosed with some black speaker cloth to hide the speakers. I saw these pics online and was wondering if would be a good idea or not. will it affect the sound quality of the speaker a lot you think. Or maybe just stick to my original plan?

side note-not sure its relevant. room is 14.5 x 23, surrounds will be RS62II. rear surrounds will be same or maybe RB61iis (haven't decided yet). main part of ceiling is 10ft. with 8ft. Tre ceiling encompassing room. I don't have subwoofers or receiver/amp picked out as of yet. 

f1w076.jpg

2j4amj5.jpg

Edited by Kman

If you're willing to EQ those, I'd actually recommend placing the speakers flush with a baffle, not a cavity like shown in the pictures.  That cavity around the speaker will create a FR dip problem, even though it's lined with foam.

Also note that baffle-mounted speakers don't behave the same as free-standing speakers - so the comment about "re-EQing" above isn't just there for effect - it's real.

Chris

• Like 1

yeah- figured the sound would suffer-even with the surrounding foam and the fact they are from ported.  only way like you said would be to encase all three sides with some sort of fabric-like a lot of people do on their side columns in home theaters. 

Too bad you can't move the ports to the front. 

You might could re-plumb the ports around to the front baffle using a stiff tube the diameter of the port that's u-shaped--such as PVC fittings & pipe. The added length of the port will change the acoustic resistance, inductance, and phase a bit of the bass port, but it might be worth a try. It's cheap to try if you can find a reversible way to connect to the existing ports.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

seems like the amount of work to do this with little payoff ( besides aesthetics) won't be worth it then. only other option is build columns upfront and incorporate in-walls speakers. I think that would require even more work though- would have to build a box around them and surround box with column-since I cannot place them into screen (already boarded and plastered). Looks like I may stick to original plan-which isn't so bad I guess, just takes up a lot more room upfront.