Ceiling speakers to match RF-7s for Atmos?

maseline_98

I'm looking to upgrading my system to a Dolby Atmos. I currently have the original RF7s, RC7, RS7s and emotiva UAC 8.2s as the rears. I want to move to Atmos application by adding 2 more front-ceiling speakers but the emotivas are no longer being sold and I couldn't find a secondhand pair. Does it really matter which ceiling speakers I use? I liked thr emos because they have pivoting tweeter(and i picked them up for $112 shipped for the pair). Should I continue to look for another pair or try something else? Im not sure if matching timbre makes that much difference for ceiling applications.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Maseline,

I am looking at the same thing and I have RF-7IIs.  I think I read in another Atmos post that these would be nice. http://www.klipsch.com/CDT-5800-C-II The tweeter moves too, but I don't think you would want to move it.  Having the ceiling speaker directed downward is the effect you are looking for.

Nismo or Jay might be able to give you some good direction.

Edited to include the link properly.

Edited by Pathos

I spent quite a bit of time researching and decided on the units in my signature below.  I'll be installing these shortly and share feedback as well.

looking forward to your findings on the CDT-5800's. Have room wired up for 3-pair in the ceiling but won't get to hooking them up for a while. 

• Like 1

The 5800s look great(and mostly likely sound great), but a bit out of my price range(especially for the application). I bought my whole reference set(used of course) for $1700 shipped(add $750 for deanG upgrades). I probably can't justify spending that much just ceiling speakers...and there will definitely not be a WAF for those....I was thinking around $400 for a pair with power. I spent $250 for the Emos and a Adcom GFA-5300. I guess my problem is that I usually buy used components and ceiling speakers are rarely sold used.