RF7-ii's and their future - seeking wisdom

TheFiend1

Although, my goodness, that's a $1,300 class D amp that only has 250 watts per channel.

Holy crap I think I was looking at a different model and got them confused. To be honest a $1000 is at the very top end of what I want to spend on an extra amp. I am really attracted to the idea of buying a matching Marantz amp to pair with the 7010 but im open to looking elsewhere as long as the look is attractive as well ;)

Is it considered a no-no when mixing amp classifications in the same system? Can I mix the Marantz SR7010's AB amps and a Rotel Class D amp?

I don't think that will be much of a problem unless the sound signatures are completely different.

I know what you are really seeking is a Marantz 200w/ch stereo amp but here is a very clean looking 200w/ch x 5 Outlaw Audio amplifier.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5301989688.html

00s0s_g2x2IJgRJCj_600x450.jpg

Bill

Although, my goodness, that's a $1,300 class D amp that only has 250 watts per channel.

Holy crap I think I was looking at a different model and got them confused. To be honest a $1000 is at the very top end of what I want to spend on an extra amp. I am really attracted to the idea of buying a matching Marantz amp to pair with the 7010 but im open to looking elsewhere as long as the look is attractive as well ;)

You're probably overthinking the power issue with Marantz. I've heard the 7055 on some 90 db efficient Monitor Platinum speakers crossed over at 40 hz and it about blew me out of the room with the scene on IronMan 2 where Whiplash was shocking the cars. Just insane and very full sound. Your 7's are much more efficient than those. If you can afford it I'd match the Marantz in a heartbeat.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The speakers are about a foot away from the wall. I was always told that if the bass port is in the rear to place it atleast 8" away from the wall - and the RF7ii has 2 huge bass ports back there.

You're right.  I forgot about the rear firing ports. 

The Pioneer SC Series will have more than enough power and considering it is Class D3, will have significant ability to drive the low end of RF7s

I have an earlier SC-1222 that I have run with my KLF-30s.  It will drive those KLF-30s(comparable impedance and efficiency to the RFs) strongly on the bottom end and literally blow you out of the room.  My room is 22x22x9 which opens to a wide open gallery / kitchen area so a very large space to fill.  Concert levels, yes from a receiver I bought new for $400 (MSRP $1100 at the time).  I'm not saying a separate amp, such as the Rotel with IcePower modules or the Marantz might not be better (possibly a drop for the extra cash) but I will say the Pioneer acquits itself quite well compared to my Emotiva XPA-2 which is also no slouch.  I have run the pre-outs of the Pioneer into the XPA-2 for a while and found it not enough better (if at all) to keep the complexity and huge amp sitting there in that configuration.  The Emotiva may have been better if I fed it with a very good front end though now you are talking a lot more money for a little return.

Edited by pzannucci

Rotel also has a cheaper class D amp (RB-1572) rated at 250 watts but I think that might be too much power.

Nah, it's not like you have to use all of it. :)Although, my goodness, that's a $1,300 class D amp that only has 250 watts per channel. I'd be looking at Crown DriveCore 2's before I spent that. I'm running 18's off the 2502, plenty of power for towers. Most people love them for hi-fi applications, only bad thing I've ever heard is that when using super high efficient cinema speakers like 100+ db actual efficiency, there's more of a noise floor in terms of hissing than is ideal. Otherwise, you could get a cheap Crown 1002 that would hang with that kind of power. Some places even have the old 1000 on blowout for like $199. If you spent $1,300 on a class D amp it better be flat at 5 hz at 4,000 watts or something such as SpeakerPower.
The Crown XLS1502 or 2502 would be all the power you need and you'd save a lot of money. I will eventually be buying 2 of the XLS1500s or 1502s for my LCR. I like the 1502s better because they're black and have a sensitivity switch. Edited by Rowan611

Thanks everyone for all the amazing input! Top notch community here amongst Klipsch users :)

Ive taken about 2 weeks to demo the Marantz 7010 and just started demoing the Pioneer SC-97 and I have to ask - is it typical to have such a different sound signature? Im not sure exactly how to describe this - but the Marantz 7010 sounds much more "airy" than the SC-97. Almost like im listening to scenes inside of a hallway. Originally coming from an older Pioneer Elite, I was surprised of the sound difference between the 2. I calibrated the 7010 twice in case something wasnt quite right the first time, but got the same result in both instances. It is most noticeable with dialogue. The SC-97 doesnt have that sound either - its closer to my older Elite. The effect im hearing is slight but I cant get past it haha.

Honestly, I prefer the sound of the Elite... but - the Marantz looks nicer, the menu is nicer, and has more output channels than the SC-97 (and also hotter than the SC, both figuratively and technically smile.gif). So im freakin stuck. I know its hard to understand what im saying, but is there a way to tweak the AVR to sound differently to match the Elite or is that always the way the Marantz is going to sound?

The new room-setup and thus the placement is the key. In my case, Audyssey did a trick.. Not sure, if you've a possibility to run something similar via Marantz or Pioneer.

Hey pite! I noticed your equipment down in your signature and am reaaaaally interested in seeing a picture of that setup you got there :D It must be amazing.

I recently changed my room layout and had to run MCACC a few times get the sound just right but, has always the Pioneer is delivering a clean, pure sound with a black floor.  Nothing extra, just what was recorded.  MCACC just has the ability to get the sound and room mated very well.