KG4's upgraded with Crites titanium drivers and new crossover networks

77VanillaSky

I have a pair of 1984 first gen KG4's (even though they are listed as starting production in 1985, the labels on the back say 1984). I never liked these speakers! They sounded very harsh and edgy, yet yielded a very good sound stage, but they just fatigued my ears. Five years ago I read on one of the Klipsch forums about Bob Crites having designed and contracted a fabricator to make a titanium replacement for the phenolic horn drivers showing scope readings of a virtually, very flat response on supposedly sounding much smoother and liquid. For about $50 I ordered the pair and swapped them in and everything that people were saying was true. Very smooth, open, and airy, but without the jagged harshness. It was like listening to a completely different speaker -- one I fell in love with and became my main speakers.

A couple of weeks ago, I read about the capacitors loosing their life around the 20 year mark and it hit me that the caps in my 1984 KG4's are now 31 years old. When back to Bob Crites' website and for $100 I could send him the original networks for a cap replacement, or for $200 I could receive new networks with all upgraded materials including new chokes, etc. -- I opted for the latter. I ended up removing all of the old “stacked-up” networks of this first gen that had everything glued up in a pile on the back of the input panel – turns out that the choke and transformer? (coiled bobbin) just popped off the plastic input back panel by prying a flat head underneath them and giving a little twist, removed the 3 screws, popped off the one cap that was glued, and cut the wires to the terminals.

Then new network board fits on the wood floor of the bottom of the cabinet attached with velcro. After I finished wiring the first cab, I decided to do an A/B comparison between your network and the original 31 year old network. I conducted a very good test condition by putting on a mono LP, The Kingston Trio, and threw the balance knob Left/Right to compare them back and forth… let me tell you something, it was a dramatic difference! The old network sounded like the banjo was being played underneath a quilt. So, even though the speaker cab with the new network sounded brighter, and more open and airy, I would say it wasn’t adding anything, but simply allowing what was naturally in the recording to come through, whereas, the 31 year old network was not allowing all the highs to pass through to the horn. When I listened to the speaker cab that still had the original network, it was a kin to turning the treble control about 3/4’s the way down. As far as the bass, I’m not sure if it’s in my head or not, but it sounded a little tighter – just as strong as before, but with a little less resonance.

Once again, Bob Crites has amazed me with his quality designs and engineering. I now have the ultimate KG4’s with Crites’ titanium horn drivers and upgraded, new networks! BTW, they are works of art just to look at (see before and after pics). And because the new networks are mounted on new cedar boards, they smell good too! I’ll never have to worry about moths in my speaker cabs ;)

I'm sure all of you know about Bob's Klipsch upgrades and maintenance services, but just in case you don't:  www.critesspeakers.com

Original 1984 network: post-61926-0-10220000-1447191593_thumb.j  New Bob Crites network: post-61926-0-97620000-1447191622_thumb.j

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, satwilson said:

I know this is a dead thread. Anyway,  have a pair of KG4, Crites tweeter and crossover upgrades/ FS, KC AREA, Pickup only.

If you haven't already, post them in the Garage Sale area.  Please post pictures as well.

• 2 years later...

Dead thread perhaps, but it’s nice to know what’s out there for the KG4. I realize it’s not set up for a squawker, so the tweeter horn and the woofers need to compensate.

I’m wondering how a Crites modded KG4 would compare to, say, a Heresy I.

How well would a stock (or modified) KG4 work with an old Legacy (e.g. Heresy I) in a surround system?

Same question, but with second gen legacy (Forté or Quartet)?

Thanks 

No comparison, Heresy wins hands down.  I had Bob rebuild the networks in a pair of KG4 and also changed to titanium tweeters.  Both made an improvement to my ears but couldn't hold a candle to any Heresy. 

Taking nothing away from the KG's but they would not beat out a properly functioning Heresy & up three way models. Nor were they interned to be, each of us have our own tastes and that is what helpes make America great – having the choice.

• 1 year later...

Does anybody know of a proper replacement woofer for the KG4?  I have a pair that I have owned since new.  I picked up a used pair of Adcom GFA-565's and when I hooked them up to my KG4's they pushed the drivers out and they glowed red.  Now the drivers are junk.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.   

2 hours ago, bmwguru said:

Does anybody know of a proper replacement woofer for the KG4?  I have a pair that I have owned since new.  I picked up a used pair of Adcom GFA-565's and when I hooked them up to my KG4's they pushed the drivers out and they glowed red.  Now the drivers are junk.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.   

Welcome to the Forum!

You have to decide if 84$ a piece is too much:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/150494161745?hash=item230a26ab51:g:T~oAAOSwoydWqBd~

I´ve read on this forum that Midwest Speakers is a decent supplier. I hope You will/can bring those KG4s back to life.

16 hours ago, bmwguru said:

have you had the adcoms tested &/or do they work right?  the 565 are known to have bad capacitors that short out the PCB & can cause damage to speakers.  these older adcoms dont have any protection circuit & when they go they will take out any speakers connected to them.  if the woofers pushed out & glowed red, the amps definitely have some issues.  

check wth simply speakers to see if they can recone your original woofers, if not search for some used ones or buy the repros on ebay. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 10:12 PM, bmwguru said:

& until you verify the amps are in good working order... dont hook up another set of speakers to them! or the same thing will happen.  

there is a guy that specializes in repairing these older adcoms & makes new boards at very decent prices... if the caps leaked its very likely the boards are damaged beyond repair.  i have his info saved on my home PC if you want to have the adcoms repaired & can pass it on when i get home later.   

• Like 1