Here is one for all you Bourbon drinkers

MyOwn

Flavoring cheap bourbon with common kitchen items is wrong on so many levels

I don't always flavor my bourbon with cheap kitchen items, but when I do, it's with mint and sugar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_julep

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Flavoring cheap bourbon with common kitchen items is wrong on so many levels

I don't always flavor my bourbon with cheap kitchen items, but when I do, it's with mint and sugar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_julep

I wish I had a dollar for every time I turned the corner at Metropolis Lake. 

Mint Juleps and a woman put me in the Bardstown, KY jail for the night a couple of years ago! 

It's now a B&B.  HarHar! 

• Like 2

Interesting, especially considering Metropolis Lake is at the end of a dead end road that is pretty straight and doesn't really have any corners you'd turn down when you got to it. ;) Are you saying you worked at the Shawnee Steam Plant, or lived off of Metropolis Lake Road? It is in fact a real nice place to visit if that's all you meant.

I started drinking Makers in 97 when I was deleting (depleting?) the course's inventory. It wholesaled for $4/bottle, I said WTF and a few of us tried it. Good stuff until the red wax caught on with the in crowd, now it seems like the quality has gone down. Either that or the bottles were from 81 and had aged nicely. I might have 1 still around, if I do, maybe Carl will meet his Maker in Hope

Mark

Flavoring cheap bourbon with common kitchen items is wrong on so many levels, it's much more fun to just find a good cheap bourbon and skip the chemistry experiments...

http://evanwilliams.com/

There you go.  You're welcome!

I believe you can much better with a dram of this stuff which uses good Canadian Rye:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/scots-left-reeling-as-canadian-whisky-named-worlds-best/

Of course, it's just highly illegal in Kentucky, there's even a law that allow them to seize your land if you're caught.

Ain't that something?  Sounds like your politicians are in the back pockets of the big whiskey makers.  Will raising your own cattle and chickens be outlawed next?

I've been assuming the laws are just outdated but I haven't considered this aspect.  I just can't believe that in the land of the free, a Kentucky resident who lives down the road from this Kentucky business, would get in MAJOR trouble if they get caught even just purchasing and transporting their equipment, much less using it.  

http://www.hillbillystills.com/

Some people think they can say it's a water purifier and get away with it, not sure if that excuse flies or not.  

Also I originally made that comment to something I thought was directed at me but it may not have been.  

My great grandfather was a real Kentucky moonshiner.  He'd get drunk and do crazy mess.  Tied two cat's tails together then threw them over a clothes line and watch them fight to the death for fun.  Stabbed an employee with a screwdriver in the stomach, up to the hilt.  It just gets worse from there and it's probably as bad as you're thinking.  I still have his apple press that he used to make apple pie shine.  

You probably shouldn't be drinking bourbon of this quality if you need to add stuff to it to be palatable. I know it is an experiment, same stuff they do trying to age red wine from swill to Napa Cab in a few minutes. The best bourbon under $20 a bottle I have found is Four Roses Yellow label, tough to beat for an Andrew Jackson. Price creep is starting to hurt the bourbon market, but you can still find excellent quality whiskey for under $50. Weller, Four Roses Single Barrel, Angel's Envy, mentioned earlier, Elmer T. Lee--although that has gotten scarce since old Elmer passed away. Plenty of good stuff floating around.

Allegedly one can also take sub-standard Vodka and filter it through charcoal and magically turn it in to much better vodka.

http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-crappy-cheap-vodka-taste-like-good-stuff-0152103/

I'm not a vodka drinker so I've never tried this but it makes sense. Perhaps additional filtration of low-end bourbons through charcoal might have the same effect.

On the rare occasions that I consume Bourbon I prefer the better stuff. I'm especially fond of Makers Mark 46. Good thing I can't afford to indulge very often.

Edited by teknoid
  • Like 1

Interesting, especially considering Metropolis Lake is at the end of a dead end road that is pretty straight and doesn't really have any corners you'd turn down when you got to it. ;) Are you saying you worked at the Shawnee Steam Plant, or lived off of Metropolis Lake Road? It is in fact a real nice place to visit if that's all you meant.

I was based in Chattanooga, in Engineering, but had assignments at. SHF, Shawnee Fossil Plant beginning in 1988. I worked on environmental stuff and the waste disposal areas.

• Like 1

My great grandfather was a real Kentucky moonshiner.  He'd get drunk and do crazy mess.  Tied two cat's tails together then threw them over a clothes line and watch them fight to the death for fun.  Stabbed an employee with a screwdriver in the stomach, up to the hilt.  It just gets worse from there and it's probably as bad as you're thinking.  I still have his apple press that he used to make apple pie shine.  

Mine bought moonshine ;)

I was based in Chattanooga, in Engineering, but had assignments at. SHF, Shawnee Fossil Plant beginning in 1988. I worked on environmental stuff and the waste disposal areas.

I have lived on or near Metropolis Lake Road since 1998. You've probably driven right by me a whole bunch. I started a kayak rental service for the lake, hence the name.

Allegedly one can also take sub-standard Vodka and filter it through charcoal and magically turn it in to much better vodka.

http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-crappy-cheap-vodka-taste-like-good-stuff-0152103/

I'm not a vodka drinker so I've never tried this but it makes sense. Perhaps additional filtration of low-end bourbons through charcoal might have the same effect.

On the rare occasions that I consume Bourbon I prefer the better stuff. I'm especially fond of Makers Mark 46. Good thing I can't afford to indulge very often.

I love an awesome vodka, Ketel One is very good. I found this to be horrible, but the bottle is cool LOL

Crystal Head

post-61223-0-24800000-1448404722_thumb.j

Edited by Steve_S