B&C DCM50 Response "Anomaly"

John Warren

I consider the TAD TD4002 as one of the best advancements to my system that I have made.

If I ever get another pair of K-402's, the very best mid/treble horn I've ever tried and owned (e pluribus unum), I would have TADs in it. No need to upgrade drivers after that. Especially since the K-402 starts to lose it's amazing pattern control below 600 Hz. It's a perfect match for that horn.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Very Interesting comparison data. Looks like the BMS would be a step up over the B&C and the Radian/Truextant Be an order of magnitude step versus the BMS or B&C.

I'm especially impressed with the Radian/Truextent Be  performance and would love to listen to it versus the TAD TD4002.

I consider the TAD TD4002 as one of the best advancements to my system that I have made.

I didn't realize that Radian was stocking these units - http://www.usspeaker.com/radian%20951Bepb-1.htm

When you look at the stiffness/density of beryllium vs. titanium or aluminum alloy, you'll quickly see why it is so much better in terms of performance as a diaphragm material: about 8x or more...much, much better than titanium. 

The cost of the Radian with Be diaphragm is about half-to-2/3 of TAD 4002 drivers (new), so this is something to really look at, too.

I agree with Mike: the TAD 4002 drivers were the single biggest upgrade to the Jubs that I've experienced thus far - by a wide margin to everything else, except maybe putting a little absorption material around the K-402 mouths on the side walls and between the speakers--which gave me imaging performance for the corner horns--this was a toss-up with the TADs in terms of improvement in sound.  The improvement using TADs is not even close vs. the K-69-A performance from a listening standpoint.

Chris

Perhaps a BMS 4592ND (dual diaphragm) would be better for crossing as low as 300 Hz, crossing again inside the driver at 6.3 kHz, both using 12 dB/octave filters.  The Radian is a 2" dia. throat driver.

Chris

That combination looks to have some design issues, at least to my eyes:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?31657-Truextent-diaphragms-measurements

The Be diaphragm material properties are so much better that they should trounce the Ti diaphragms--if the design was executed as well for the Be as the driver is for the Ti (with elastomeric coating) diaphragm. 

That thread by POS on audioheritage.com shows that they don't however.

Chris

The single diaphragm version of the BMS drive goes just as low as the Coca-Cola version. Still, Im not a proponent of running something at the edge of its operating parameter.

Be is so expensive, you have to take extra measures to protect it. I'm really surprised that you active guys aren't running a 50mfd capacitor between the driver and the amp. Is that the right value, I don't remember!

Can the Radian 950 be used in a 400hz 6db slope in LS?

Agreed. Although when I had the monster Klipsch K-1133 driver on my K-402 horns, I didn't try to ram PEQ into it like you have to do with all 2-way systems. Using three way with titanium is fine because you are not using the nasty top end. Berylium works great, but not below about 500 Hz, however you won't need a tweeter, hence the trade off.