sony STR-dn1040 hook up question

RickyClev34

Hey what's up guys I've got a quick receiver set up question I was hoping to get some help with. I'm an owner of a Sony STR-DN1040 and Samsung un65ju7500. I want to make sure I'm setting up everything correctly to optimize my HT. Previously I had my receiver hooked up via optical cable but wanted to use HDMI and the 4k up scaling the Sony has.

I tired using arc to the TV then my cable box to the video one 4k hdmi input on the receiver. After turning on the 4k up scaling and other hdmi options I turned on the cable and I felt I could hear a difference in quality. I quickly went to my Netflix to get comfortable and finish watching Daredevil and no audio ! I tried changing the the hdmi inputs to about every setting and still nothing. I went back to optical and the sound returned.

I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my system and you guys have always been very helpful in the past. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by RickyClev34

I think the problem is that you own a Sony.

:D

Jk

Anyway, in my experience with ARC, there are some settings that need to be tweaked on the TV. Not sure if I read your post correctly, but it sounds like the ARC is the issue. Check your tv manual as they are almost all different.

Zang shots fired ! hahah you got me.  The Sony really does a pretty decent job but I do plan to move it to my bedroom and upgrading sometime soon.    I just upgraded my center and rears to a RC-7 and a pair of RS-7's a few weeks ago so my budget is a little tight atm.  I'll look more into TV settings today.  

On the upgrading the receiver topic it looks like the Denon X4000 could be the best bang for the buck having audyssey xt32 is a big plus for me.  

If things work with the optical, no difference in sound quality.  I own a Sony avr and it has been problem free for over 5 yr.  Sony is not popular with audio people but, they are not as boutique as some of the other brands.  You should be good to go.  What is your system/speakers?

Sony Str-DN1040, Samsung UN65ju7500 , RC-7 center , RS-7 rears , RB-61ii's L/R and PL-200 sub.  I know the sub needs improvement and the RB's are being over powered by the center... I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the rears and center at the time.  They replaced an RC-52ii and I had a pair of F-20's as rears.  Looking to move them to my bedroom for a little 3.0 set up.  

Keeping an eye out for a good deal on a pair of RF-7's, sub, or receiver so my sony can go in my bedroom.   

looks like I found my answer maybe this will help someone else in the same situation.  I'll try once I get home from work and update.

"My Sony manual says to use HDMI if the TV is ARC (Audio Return Channel) compatible so the TV sound will be output from the external speakers. Then I read the Samsung manual and it says ARC (Audio Return Channel) is only available from HDMI IN 2. I changed the HDMI cable from port 1 to port 2 on the Samsung and Netflix audio is working now!
I do not have the optical cable connected." 

• Like 1