Rear surrounds for lascala

carolinacat

Im sure this has been asked but...I have 7 home brew lascala that I use to have a dedicated room for. I've moved to a new house stuck them in the attic for the last few years and bought RF7II and rc64 for down stairs use. I prefer my lascala. I've decided to sell the RF7II and RC64II. Plan to use 3 of the lascala down stairs in the family room. Wondering what to make or buy in there place. The rear surrounds don't do to much....but I don't want tin cans and string back there either. The 2x2 foot print is the issue for me using what I have. Any recommendations.

Edited by carolinacat

I don't have a rear wall really. The room is 15Wx41L lcr are on the front 15w. I'm planning on sitting 20 ft back. Rest of room is dining area. I have a MCM sofa I'm having recovered I need to go pick it up and actually have it in the room the I can plan better.

Edited by carolinacat
  • Like 1

I don't have a rear wall really. The room is 15Wx41L lcr are on the front 15w. I'm planning on sitting 20 ft back. Restest of room is dining area. I have a MCM sofa I'm having recovered I need to go pick it up and actually have it in the room the I can plan better.

I want a Klipsch MCM sofa...

• Like 1

I sort of fell into this, but I use four Academys for surrounds and rears.  I had bought an Academy for a center, then went with a DIY chopped LaScala, built a second for a 5.1 setup and then had two Academys drop on a local list for $300/pair and I had the 7.1.   A bit bulky to mount and hang but the sound is great :D

• Like 1

I have 2 Heresies as my rear corners (each sitting on a VMPS sub for a stand) and also have no rear wall near them. My center channel Heresy has a modified crossover as near to my La Scala's modified Type AAs as practical. If you are concerned about the difference in sound between the 2 you can change the Heresy's Type E. I can look to see if I have a schematic of mine.

I'm planning on sitting 20 ft back.
There isnt an acoustic law that says the surrounds have to be situated behind you.

Another :emotion-21: for Heresy or Pro surrounds......and put'em in front if you simply cannot place them behind.

Before I went to 7.1, my surrounds were mounted behind.  The now serve as my rears.  I think to the side of the listening position is preferable.  

• Like 1

There isn't an acoustic law that says the surrounds have to be situated behind you.

I think that Tom is alluding to putting the "surrounds" forward of 90 degrees in wide positions.  The following figure from Toole's book shows the effects of different surround layouts from the perspective of "listener envelopment" (LEV) performance from listener tests in a controlled environment.  Look at configurations ( b )  and ( c ).  Configuration ( c ) is actually the layout preferred by Dolby and THX for a 5.1 surround layout, while configurations (d) and (i) are ITU standard layouts.  I believe that configuration ( b ) is the one that tied with the ITU performance in terms of LEV.

Figure 15-5.GIF

Interesting, eh?  It's certainly something that can be tried with little cost, and it can take advantage of the forward room walls to increase bass performance without increasing bass distortion or requiring large baffles to mount to.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I believe that configuration ( b ) is the one that tied with the ITU performance in terms of LEV.
:emotion-21:  That's how cinemas do it. 

Although it appears totally counterintuitive, it sounds fantastic (better than from behind IME) and doesn't require any space to the rear of the listening position.

There isn't an acoustic law that says the surrounds have to be situated behind you.

I think that Tom is alluding to putting the "surrounds" forward of 90 degrees in wide positions.  The following figure from Toole's book shows the effects of different surround layouts from the perspective of "listener envelopment" (LEV) performance from listener tests in a controlled environment.  Look at configurations ( b )  and ( c ).  Configuration ( c ) is actually the layout preferred by Dolby and THX for a 5.1 surround layout, while configurations (d) and (i) are ITU standard layouts.  I believe that configuration ( b ) is the one that tied with the ITU performance in terms of LEV.

Figure 15-5.GIF

Interesting, eh?  It's certainly something that can be tried with little cost, and it can take advantage of the forward room walls to increase bass performance without increasing bass distortion or requiring large baffles to mount to.

Chris

Chris

What I'm getting out of this, is to run 3 across the front, and 2 at about 120 south of center.

So would I then elevate the rears so the horns would be at ear level?

And if I go to 7 would I then put 2 in a more traditional rear position (ear height horns) and the 2 surrounds at 120 off center also at ear height?

TY

Mark

So would I then elevate the rears so the horns would be at ear level? And if I go to 7 would I then put 2 in a more traditional rear position (ear height horns) and the 2 surrounds at 120 off center also at ear height?

LAYOUT%202.gif

I believe that the typical installation is like the above.  The further forward the surrounds, the more effective they will be in creating LEV.  All midrange horn mouths can be at ear level or slightly above.

There are some that like the dipole or bipole surround concept (I don't, however...for reasons related to multichannel music reproduction in which every channel in the room fulfills equal duty as a music source).  These folks typically like their surrounds mounted much higher on the side and back walls such that their delayed wall bounce off the front walls can add echo or depth.  This is artificial depth in my book and is dependent on the size of the room for the characteristic bounce delays.  YMMV.

Both Dolby and THX (HT version) actually recommend the midrange driver heights to be located at or slightly above ear level when seated. 

The newer Atmos layouts seem to just add height speakers in the ceiling...

0817_dolby1.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris A