paul stuff

Chief bonehead

• Moderators

Now back to our regular programming....cd horns were very popular at the time. We were looking at some cinema opportunities. My little acoustic brother mr Kerry Geist was looking into it. We got some of the popular horns at the time. And because of the constant polar response we got similar horns. Good polars. Poor acoustic impedance. Poor freq response. So what to do. I talked to paul and he of course reminded of his design goals. And he refused to tell me what he would do. He did give me some references to read. But he told me that he would not give me too many. He wanted a different conclusion. And as such said that reading too much would cause me to come to the same conclusion they did. Then one day dr Bruce Edgar came to visit paul. Paul called me into his office and dr Edgar asked me what I was up to. I told him that I was looking as some sort of combination of equations to try to ease some of the cons of dc horns. And dr Edgar said I have an article I want you to read.......and an avalanche started.

Can't wait to hear about the article.

Myself for one was interested in meeting Paul, but not knowing how he was never made an attempt to contact as what could I personally offer that would have been of interest to him? ................................................

Good night my friend.... Rog

Actually, Mr. Paul and Miss Valerie were very receptive and kind hosts to visitors.  We were quire surprised.  I had hoped he would attend a gathering we planned in Hope, but we were welcomed to their home and he told audio stories. 

He wasn't much into fancy cables.  I think he'd be kind to my face, but laugh at my braided CAT-5 speaker cables.  :D

• Like 1

Roy,

Thanks for posting these stories. I've been at the same employer for almost 20 years now and find it sad that our management has forced out people who have so much skill and information, i.e., things you can't always quantify but so profound and valuable in getting the job done. School/learning never ends and I'm sure you must miss Mr. Klipsch very much.

Bruce

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Nothing like arriving to the party late, but I couldn't help commenting on Dr. Who's suggestion that Paul may have been a tad too "quick on the draw" with his BS flashing.  Chief Bonehead said PWK was in his 70's when he met him.  Actually he was in his early 80's.  This means that he had been exposed to BS for over 50 years at that point, and it wasn't just in the audio field.  At General Electric (1927) he was exposed to "perpetual motion" in an advanced in-house engineering course.  It was a joke, but clearly BS.  In the 30's his geophysics experience in Houston was also punctuated with BS, as reflected in correspondence with both the #1 and #2 men in the history of geo-chemical oil prospecting.  Can you imagine the BS he dealt with in the Army?  Particularly for a guy in his late 30's?  Then he enters the extremely fledgling audio field, one that necessarily combines science and art.  What a mess just ripe for snake-oil!!! 

My point is that after 50+ years of constantly dealing with BS, I can understand if his trigger finger might have grown a bit quick.  In my experience, if you approached him on a "considered level", he would always engage the subject and generally guide you into disproving your own "theory".  But a cavalier, unsupported statement just might deserve a quick draw of the yellow button!

• Like 5

What Roy has said reminded me of when I was in college. I worked maintenance at the local brick factory. The owner came to me one day and said, "Mike, I want you to go over to the new shop and build me a couple of metal work benches." I told him, "EK, I don't know how to weld". He said, "Mike, did you not hear me? I want you to go over and build me a couple of metal workbenches.". I reiterated me statement about not knowing how to weld. He then said, "Look, go over there and build the damn benches. Look around you, there are men here with 40 years experience. Talk to them about what you need to learn." After I graduated and went to work for him full time, he pulled the same thing. "Mike, I need you to design the new addition to the factory. Get to work on the drafting table and lay out the building and the rails for the kiln cars. The engineering library is behind you." The project was about a year from start. Not only did I learn how to weld and how to cut a nut off a bolt without damaging the treads on the bolt, I laid out a very large building, along with structural specifications and drawings to match up the existing rails with those in the new building. 

Learning never stops!

When I first met PWK in 1976, I has some very interesting discussions about the Bell Labs research into 3 channel (phantom channel) playback. Turns out my cousin who introduced me to the Bell Labs research in 1970 also knew Paul (my cousin was a full bird colonel). My cousin demo'ed his console that he designed and had handbuilt in Formosa with the three channel set up. He paid Chinese labor 10 cents an hour to build the most ornate console I had, or ever have seen since. This was inside the mansion that had been owned by Chester Lauck (of Lum 'n Abner fame) in Mena.

This was inside the mansion that had been owned by Chester Lauck (of Lum 'n Abner fame) in Mena.

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but not a lot of people have any clue who Lum 'n Abner were anymore.  I had the honor of meeting one of them...sadly can't remember which one...at college in Magnolia in the late 60s.  Only quote I can remember is one of them responding when questioned about what they thought about radio:  "I don't hold with furniture that talks."

Great people and the kind of program long gone.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

• Moderators

Nothing like arriving to the party late, but I couldn't help commenting on Dr. Who's suggestion that Paul may have been a tad too "quick on the draw" with his BS flashing. Chief Bonehead said PWK was in his 70's when he met him. Actually he was in his early 80's. This means that he had been exposed to BS for over 50 years at that point, and it wasn't just in the audio field. At General Electric (1927) he was exposed to "perpetual motion" in an advanced in-house engineering course. It was a joke, but clearly BS. In the 30's his geophysics experience in Houston was also punctuated with BS, as reflected in correspondence with both the #1 and #2 men in the history of geo-chemical oil prospecting. Can you imagine the BS he dealt with in the Army? Particularly for a guy in his late 30's? Then he enters the extremely fledgling audio field, one that necessarily combines science and art. What a mess just ripe for snake-oil!!!

My point is that after 50+ years of constantly dealing with BS, I can understand if his trigger finger might have grown a bit quick. In my experience, if you approached him on a "considered level", he would always engage the subject and generally guide you into disproving your own "theory". But a cavalier, unsupported statement just might deserve a quick draw of the yellow button!

Better late than never. Isn't there a speaker ad that inspired the B.S. retort? Eventually became the button?

• Moderators

Now back to our regular programming....cd horns were very popular at the time. We were looking at some cinema opportunities. My little acoustic brother mr Kerry Geist was looking into it. We got some of the popular horns at the time. And because of the constant polar response we got similar horns. Good polars. Poor acoustic impedance. Poor freq response. So what to do. I talked to paul and he of course reminded of his design goals. And he refused to tell me what he would do. He did give me some references to read. But he told me that he would not give me too many. He wanted a different conclusion. And as such said that reading too much would cause me to come to the same conclusion they did. Then one day dr Bruce Edgar came to visit paul. Paul called me into his office and dr Edgar asked me what I was up to. I told him that I was looking as some sort of combination of equations to try to ease some of the cons of dc horns. And dr Edgar said I have an article I want you to read.......and an avalanche started.

Can't wait to hear about the article.

Still waiting on the story of that article.

• Moderators

Wouldn't it be great if there was one central location for all of the stories about PWK could be collected in one place and accessible to those who are interested in the man and his products? Collected both in a physical sense, and accessible online.

Wouldn't it be great to have a section on this forum where you could "Ask the historian" any question you wanted about PWK and it would be answered by a combination of someone with personal knowledge of the man or events and reference to historical archives or interviews?

• Like 3

Wouldn't it be great if there was one central location for all of the stories about PWK could be collected in one place and accessible to those who are interested in the man and his products? Collected both in a physical sense, and accessible online.

Wouldn't it be great to have a section on this forum where you could "Ask the historian" any question you wanted about PWK and it would be answered by a combination of someone with personal knowledge of the man or events and reference to historical archives or interviews?

I believe this would be an awesome place to put such an archive. I know it's outside of this forum....There is a lot of old audio related info here if you dig into it.

https://archive.org/

https://archive.org/details/audio_magazine

Edited by Steve_S

• Moderators

Nothing like arriving to the party late, but I couldn't help commenting on Dr. Who's suggestion that Paul may have been a tad too "quick on the draw" with his BS flashing.  Chief Bonehead said PWK was in his 70's when he met him.  Actually he was in his early 80's.  This means that he had been exposed to BS for over 50 years at that point, and it wasn't just in the audio field.  At General Electric (1927) he was exposed to "perpetual motion" in an advanced in-house engineering course.  It was a joke, but clearly BS.  In the 30's his geophysics experience in Houston was also punctuated with BS, as reflected in correspondence with both the #1 and #2 men in the history of geo-chemical oil prospecting.  Can you imagine the BS he dealt with in the Army?  Particularly for a guy in his late 30's?  Then he enters the extremely fledgling audio field, one that necessarily combines science and art.  What a mess just ripe for snake-oil!!! 

My point is that after 50+ years of constantly dealing with BS, I can understand if his trigger finger might have grown a bit quick.  In my experience, if you approached him on a "considered level", he would always engage the subject and generally guide you into disproving your own "theory".  But a cavalier, unsupported statement just might deserve a quick draw of the yellow button!

Jim Hunter!!! It's great to see you here!!!

Christy

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have put in a suggestion to Chad and the mods about a PWK Legend forum.

Dave

It is already handled, but thanks for the thought.

I even have volunteers who knew PWK, were hired by PWK, and have videos and audios of PWK who are willing to sit in and answer questions.

Just a matter of whether people what to tap into the "source" or not.

I am limited as to how much I can say at this point.

Travis

Edited by dwilawyer
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Dave

I even have volunteers who knew PWK, were hired by PWK, and have videos and audios of PWK who are willing to sit in and answer questions.

Travis

I will add...in the next few weeks we are going to have some very exciting news on a number of fronts as it relates to Klipsch! I've never been one to not "speak up" but at this point my mouth is "wired shut"! Can't wait to share all of the new developments with everyone!!!

• Like 2

Dave

Travis

I will add...in the next few weeks we are going to have some very exciting news on a number of fronts as it relates to Klipsch! I've never been one to not "speak up" but at this point my mouth is "wired shut"! Can't wait to share all of the new developments with everyone!!!

Cannot wait to see what comes forth....I suggested the above simply because I think Paul is an American icon and should be placed in there

• Like 2

• Moderators

Dave

Travis

Cannot wait to see what comes forth....I suggested the above simply because I think Paul is an American icon and should be placed in there

I am going to forward that link to Jim Hunter in case he doesn't see it here.

• Like 1

Well that's just mean! You can't do such things to us fragile people. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Well that's just mean! You can't do such things to us fragile people. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol! This group of forum members being described as "fragile" has never occurred to me!!