RF7II setup or THX setup for home theater

Kman

Initially I was going to go with RF7II-RC64 up front along with RS62II's for side and RB61II's for rear. But room up front near screen seems to be dwindling down with the built in cabinet starting to take shape. It seems the towers would be a bit closer to the side walls than I wanted. not sure if this would be a huge issue. I was thinking of maybe building some type of columns on the side of the screen with two sides being fabric panels and placing RB81's in themfor the mains instead.

But again acoustically not sure how this will sound.

So I started looking into the THX line -the 525's or maybe 650's. It seems these could possibly work inside the column idea ( again I have no false wall). I have never heard these though and not sure how they compare with the RF7's or 81's. But size wise they seem they would fit nicely and be concealed giving a nice clean look. Anyone have any experience with these? Opinions or concerns? 

Some other members may chime in that had the THX and Reference system.  Post a pic to give people a better ideal of the space and room layout.  Nothing wrong with a THX system but, if you want to play music sometime, the Reference system would be better.  Both should sound very nice.

Edited by derrickdj1

I currently have both in two different rooms, and have used both in the same room. Thx is nice for dialogue and nicely mixed movies such as star wars. But, on lots of material, especially rock music, they are pretty boring. Personally I prefer the rf-7ii's. However, the thx is a better center than the 64 in my opinion. I built a custom vertical center out of rf-7ii components and like the results. You can't go wrong with either, eq and system integration goes a long way, but thx is remarkably flat comparatively. Whether that's good or bad hinges on your personal tastes.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Thx is nice for dialogue and nicely mixed movies such as star wars
i think they are great on all movies.  

But, on lots of material, especially rock music, they are pretty boring.
yes if its a music with alot of music they can be a bit dull

the thx is a better center than the 64 in my opinion.
this! we all preach center being the number one speaker. and if you are wanting a home theater over a music listening experience then go with the thx ultra.  

BE AWARE though. thx ultras are power hungry. id plan on a 200 WPC amplifier for them to really shine. 

They sound good on most non-musical movies but certain aggressive and bright mixes really make them sound great. Think of the laser battles and light sabre scenes on the star wars movies and cartoons. These things really shine and are not fatiguing when you crank them with this material.

To sound their absolute best, the THX speakers require a listening space designed and setup according to THX guidelines....which is typically an expensive endevor.

The speakers are only part of a bigger picture.

I've seen way too many photos of people employing THX speakers where they simply hung or placed them wherever they looked good. :emotion-45:

I currently have both in two different rooms, and have used both in the same room. Thx is nice for dialogue and nicely mixed movies such as star wars. But, on lots of material, especially rock music, they are pretty boring. Personally I prefer the rf-7ii's. However, the thx is a better center than the 64 in my opinion. I built a custom vertical center out of rf-7ii components and like the results. You can't go wrong with either, eq and system integration goes a long way, but thx is remarkably flat comparatively. Whether that's good or bad hinges on your personal tastes.

thanks everyone for the info,the more the better. Yes these are for home theater- but I also enjoy a lot of music, two channel and multichannel and have an extensive collection. So that factor come into play.

I am in massachusetts

To sound their absolute best, the THX speakers require a listening space designed and setup according to THX guidelines....which is typically an expensive endevor.

The speakers are only part of a bigger picture.

I've seen way too many photos of people employing THX speakers where they simply hung or placed them wherever they looked good. :emotion-45:

did not know this. would have to look into this to see if it would be doable in my space then.

Also not to throw a wrench into this- but what are your thought about just using RB81II's for the mains? would they up to the task in a 14x23 room? They are a lot less wide than the THX setup and would allow me more options maybe someday if I wanted a larger screen. 

Also not to throw a wrench into this- but what are your thought about just using RB81II's for the mains?
might work for some. wouldnt work for me. i require a bit more from a main than what that bookshelf has to offer. if music is a big deal to you i would just forget about thx line right now. trust me everyone says the same thing about them. 

are you just trying everything possible to talk yourself out of using the rf-7ii? cause that is what it seems like. i mean you could get away with 81's but i wouldnt personally do it. do we have any pics of your room? id like to see what yoyu are working with  

here is a quote from your other thread:

My first plan was to purchase RF7-RC64 for my front three once my room is done. I don't have a false wall,  so speakers will be exposed. no biggie. But was wondering if I could save some room up front and maybe have a cleaner appearance. So was wondering If I have some enclosures built along the side of screen instead that would house some RB81ii's instead. having the front portion enclosed with some black speaker cloth to hide the speakers. I saw these pics online and was wondering if would be a good idea or not. will it affect the sound quality of the speaker a lot you think. Or maybe just stick to my original plan?

you said no biggie. i would go with your original plan. its going to yield the best results. 

Also not to throw a wrench into this- but what are your thought about just using RB81II's for the mains?
might work for some. wouldnt work for me. i require a bit more from a main than what that bookshelf has to offer. if music is a big deal to you i would just forget about thx line right now. trust me everyone says the same thing about them. 

are you just trying everything possible to talk yourself out of using the rf-7ii? cause that is what it seems like. i mean you could get away with 81's but i wouldnt personally do it. do we have any pics of your room? id like to see what yoyu are working with  

Ha, no, I didn't mean to sound like I am talking myself out of the RF7's just being indecisive, which I hate. It was my original goal all along. I already have a pair of RS62II's and 61's for surrounds. Its just that when the cabinet frame started to take shape it seemed things were filling up quickly up front space-wise. So I was thinking of maybe finding another avenue to utilize more wall space and not floor space I guess. House reno/addition is pretty extensive, so unfortunately I can't focus all my attention on the home theater so sometimes things get overlooked. And also working with contractors who have no experience with this type of room leaves all the brain work to me ( dangerous). Another factor is this room was never supposed to be full-fledged Home theater- but slowly started turning into one. I'm at work now, but I can get a pic tonight and post if you like. 

here is a quote from your other thread:

My first plan was to purchase RF7-RC64 for my front three once my room is done. I don't have a false wall,  so speakers will be exposed. no biggie. But was wondering if I could save some room up front and maybe have a cleaner appearance. So was wondering If I have some enclosures built along the side of screen instead that would house some RB81ii's instead. having the front portion enclosed with some black speaker cloth to hide the speakers. I saw these pics online and was wondering if would be a good idea or not. will it affect the sound quality of the speaker a lot you think. Or maybe just stick to my original plan?

you said no biggie. i would go with your original plan. its going to yield the best results. 

scrappy you may be right. It seems they are still making the RF7II's for now, So I have time still to purchase. unless those are going to be replaced this upcoming year with another Premier product. 

Edited by Kman

Biggest thing about these thx is that there's hardly any midbass comparatively. You need to blend them with a sub really well, up fairly high. Rf-7ii's run all over them in the midbass department.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Biggest thing about these thx is that there's hardly any midbass comparatively. You need to blend them with a sub really well, up fairly high. Rf-7ii's run all over them in the midbass department.

good to know.  most likely going with original plan. the only other alternative if I am looking to save some space/improve Aesthetics would be in-walls of some sort. but don;t think I want to cut any more holes, unless I build a false wall of some sort for them and install. Again impact wise- most likely not the same as the RF7's. 

here are a few pics. placed in a RF7 for scale. the white board on the left is the same width of the tower.  subwoofers will most likely sit out almost mid point of room- one on either side wall. not sure how this will work but I think if I place in corner the towers will stick out too much.  most likely go with dual SVS SB13 ultras. 

zxl3dx.jpg

v6rb4h.jpg

Edited by Kman

here are a few pics. placed in a RF7 for scale. the white board on the left is the same width of the tower.  subwoofers will most likely sit out almost mid point of room- one on either side wall. not sure how this will work but I think if I place in corner the towers will stick out too much.  most likely go with dual SVS SB13 ultras. 

zxl3dx.jpg

v6rb4h.jpg

I think that will be perfect placement for the 7II's.

I have my largest subs(SB13 Plus, Revel B15) out in the room on the side walls nearfield and they do a jam up job in my 5500ft3 room.

Bill

good to know Willand. I might be able to run a line in the rear for a subwoofer but as of now it will most likely be on sides. After the cabinets started to be framed in,  I started getting all kinds of ideas as to what to do with the corners. My brain began racing. Thats why I was thinking maybe a two sided false fabric wall which would frame out the screen area nicely. Or maybe place the subwoofers in the corners in the false wall and get something smaller or maybe built-ins for the side speakers, which would sit above the subs.  

Biggest thing about these thx is that there's hardly any midbass comparatively. You need to blend them with a sub really well, up fairly high.

Four or more THX-rated subs is the ideal.  :emotion-21:  Two are OK on the small end of the design spectrum.....and one simply doesn't factor into the equation.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

I would not recommend the RB-81's for mains. They are OK for lower volumes in a smaller room but when you start to turn them up they really don't sound that great in my opinion. I recently replaced my 81 II's with a pair of RB-75's and the difference was night and day, my jaw is still hanging low in disbelieve. I personally would go with the RF-7 II's first choice or a pair of RB-75's or a set of three RC-7's for L C R, that would be a killer front end line up.

Jesse

Edited by jjptkd