Hersey III crossover ...

elviszappa

Guest David H

It's been a number of years since Klipsch released the Heresy III ... has anybody gotten a schematic of its crossover? I have seen a few pictures and it looks very different from H II's. I would like to see what they have improved.

Because this is a current production speaker, I think the moderators would frown upon this schematic being shared here.

Dave

" I would like to see what they have improved."

No autoformer.

I like the autoformer. The new designs are solid, but while the steeper slopes reduce distortion, the higher part count with the Mylar capacitors just sucks the life out of the music. There is no technical way of describing that last part -- I just find myself getting a little fidgety in the listening chair, easily distracted, and then finally just bored.

Edited by Deang

"I like the autoformer. The new designs are solid, but while the steeper slopes reduce distortion, the higher part count with the Mylar capacitors just sucks the life out of the music. There is no technical way of describing that last part -- I just find myself getting a little fidgety in the listening chair, easily distracted, and then finally just bored. "

In general I would agree, I'm sure the change was mainly driven by cost.

I am extraordinarily happy with my H3's. I cannot tell you how happy I am that my ears stop just short of hearing all of the things you guys hear. And I wouldn't know what a mylar capacitor was if it bit me in the butt. Sitting here in ignorant bliss with no desire to rip open a perfectly great speaker to try to make it "better".

Edited by Kevin S
  • Like 2

• Klipsch Employees

" I would like to see what they have improved."

No autoformer.

I like the autoformer. The new designs are solid, but while the steeper slopes reduce distortion, the higher part count with the Mylar capacitors just sucks the life out of the music. There is no technical way of describing that last part -- I just find myself getting a little fidgety in the listening chair, easily distracted, and then finally just bored.

That is right deano!!! Our goal is too SUCK every bit of life out of the music....
  • Haha 1

• Klipsch Employees

"I like the autoformer. The new designs are solid, but while the steeper slopes reduce distortion, the higher part count with the Mylar capacitors just sucks the life out of the music. There is no technical way of describing that last part -- I just find myself getting a little fidgety in the listening chair, easily distracted, and then finally just bored. "

That is so true.....or......maybe....just by luck....with the stars lining up right..... Lifting my left leg up......holding my mouth just right.....we were trying to make it better!!!! Naw! No chance.
  • Like 1

Aw c'mon Roy, those Mylars are terrible and you know it. It's okay, we don't blame you, we know you're held hostage by the bean counters. :-)

The Heresy IIIs sound very good, I heard them in Indy when they were first released. Everyone thought they were much improved over the II. However, I still prefer the original Heresy with the Type E.

Deano deano. Qualify it for me. Are we talking 10% distortion, 1% distortion, .1% distortion, .01% distortion, .001% distortion?

Just like our R&D guys. "The Xenon flash lamp quartz bulb cover can't be fogging up! There's nothing in the design that would outgas." Um, here are several affected lamps. "Shit, we can reproduce the failure mode, but we don't know why it's happening". They will figure out what to measure, eventually.

Hi Roy, could I please have a little context with the question? Are you talking about the capacitors and their impact or total contribution to the distortion of the entire loudspeaker? If I'm remembering right, I think it's less than .001% or below the threshold of what the test equipment is capable of measuring. I paid for all of Bateman's articles and the tests published in Wireworld magazine -- all part of my search for an explanation of why I was hearing what I was hearing. Gratefully I've been relieved of this burden since learning it's all placebo and generated by my overactive imagination. Seriously though, with polyesters especially, I do hear what seems to be an issue related to noise -- a low level grainy quality, that miraculously disappears when I use film and foil or paper in oil.