Hersey III crossover ...

elviszappa

I just sent an email to your Klipsch account - can you read it from home?

I thought the 402 was merciless, with poorly recorded material as well as what they did with the entry level polypropylenes I used in my first passive build.

It's not the transients or in the imaging, it's down in the area where you expect quiet and micro-detail. I realize this sounds like "audiophile" talk, but I'm not going to pretend that I don't hear this. Besides, I am an "audiophile", and don't know any other way of talking. As for customers, the only time I've been told that a difference wasn't heard, was with those who wear hearing aids. I now ask, and if I'm told they wear them, I warn them that they may not hear an improvement.

Am I really going to have to come to Arkansas yet again to prove that I'm not crazy?

Deano deano. Qualify it for me. Are we talking 10% distortion, 1% distortion, .1% distortion, .01% distortion, .001% distortion?

Just like our R&D guys. "The Xenon flash lamp quartz bulb cover can't be fogging up! There's nothing in the design that would outgas." Um, here are several affected lamps. "Shit, we can reproduce the failure mode, but we don't know why it's happening". They will figure out what to measure, eventually.
Well that was unclear. My point being, distortion may not be the measurement that quantifies the symptom. Determining what to measure is often the most difficult part of the troubleshooting process.

+1 - my stock H3s sound really good to my ears too - with a sub.  My daughter had the new Adele album cranked up last night on them.  Two ways they could sound better:  1) fly Adele over and put her in our family room, or 2) spend a boatload of coin for incremental upgrades or better speakers to squeeze out that last 10% in sound quality.  Maybe in 5 or 10 or 15 years, I'll tinker with various crossover and capacitor options, but I'm enjoying them stock for now while they are in-spec.  Kudos to whoever designed such an enjoyable speaker at this price point  :D

• Like 1

+1 - my stock H3s sound really good to my ears too - with a sub.  My daughter had the new Adele album cranked up last night on them.  Two ways they could sound better:  1) fly Adele over and put her in our family room, or 2) spend a boatload of coin for incremental upgrades or better speakers to squeeze out that last 10% in sound quality.  Maybe in 5 or 10 or 15 years, I'll tinker with various crossover and capacitor options, but I'm enjoying them stock for now while they are in-spec.  Kudos to whoever designed such an enjoyable speaker at this price point  :D

Ha, that's what is important, and the point you raise about cost vs performance is a significant one.