WTB Oppo XXX

InVeNtOr

Ok, let me be honest, i "want" an Oppo player, i don't "need" an Oppo player...

i am currently using the PS3 for a Do-It-All.  so far, i've been very happy with it, but i also have no idea of it's playing quality vs. others...

i only have a 3.1 set up, so most of the nice 7.1 features are out the window... 

i read Willand's response to "Recommended Blu-Ray player"...

i am thinking of getting a PS4, but i already found out the blu-ray HT player ability is on the low/sucky (that's a real term by the way...lol)...

so considering Willand's list, is there a player that would be sub $300? is that even possible.  Ebay had the 93/95 for $500...

i saw an Oppo BDP-83 for $410 + shipping, but most thought that was too much, would that player be a good choice considering i'm only a 3.1?

suggestions appreciated....

thanks again

**just looked at Audiogon, Oppo 83 for $275**

Edited by InVeNtOr

This is a good choice for a brand new player.  Street price would be less than retail for it.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/bdp-s7200

$198 at Amazon.  Have enjoyed my Sony Blu-Ray player pondered an OPPO but could not justify the $$$ for my usage. 

Reviews aren't great seems like they cheapened it over my BDP-S790 that has dual HDMI outs.  Pioneer and Yamaha make similar units.

Edited by Frzninvt

**just looked at Audiogon, Oppo 83 for $275**

$275 for the 83 is a very good price. The 83SE on the 'Gon for $350 is also a good deal. I remember people talking about going from the PS3 to "better than department store" players and being pleased with improvement. You'll definitely see/hear a difference with the Oppo.

Hey, who "needs" any of this stuff, right...

Oppo now sells the bdp-101ci... a no frills drive only unit without any bells and whistles and is supposed to come to the user as that user specifies as opposed to the user configured as a 103 or 105.

I want a 105, but do not want darbee or any network and application BS. I think I will look into this 101ci after prices drop a bit.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

If cost is an issue, I'd either go with the 83 mentioned in the OP, or the Sony S7200 mentioned as well. The S7200 is a very capable player and should provide you with some better video functionality over the PS3. Think of it as a half-step if you will between the PS3 and the Oppo. Still a great deal for the price.

...and just throwing this out there.

I can only reference my experience with the 103, but just letting everyone know that for how great the OPPO product is, it's not the end-all-be-all either.

I came from a long line of Sony DVD players and Panasonic blu-ray players , so the switch to OPPO was a big deal for me cost wise.

The Sony where hands-down the fastest all around. The Panasonics threw one helluva nice picture, DVD upscaling was/is unparalleled.....but I could bake a cake faster than any of the Panasonic models took to load a disc.

The OPPO clearly has the best hardware. You get what pay for there, and it's very nice stuff. I've got the region free chip installed which is a great add-on...but YouTube Ads continue to crash the network app on an almost daily basis, and I've run into an occassional CD lock-up here and there. :ph34r:

• Like 1

specs on the Sony look amazing.  "Super WiFi", what ever that is, i want that! lmao! "super quick start", sounds great, just curious if you really start watching your movie in a minute...."Screen Mirroring" sounds cool.  maybe if i'm watching NFL mobile on the phone, it would transfer???

I was in same boat not long ago and decided to get the Oppo 105. It is nice BUT, I have some older DVD's (not BR) that I still watch. Mostly concerts that arent out on BR. I swear, that PS 3 would play any disc I threw in there. I'm talking about scratches on the disc. No skips whatsoever. I cant say the same for the Panasonic and the Oppo. I  tried (many times with many different DVD's) playing the same disk in all 3 players. The PS 3 was the only one that not only didnt freeze like the other two, but didnt even skip.

For me, and for that reason above only, I wish I wouldve stayed with the PS3. I have a ton of old classic concerts on DVD that I cant enjoy now because it cant get past the scratches. Some of the DVD's are barely scratched and some have some pretty good cuts/scratches in them and quite honestly was surprised any player could play them without skipping. But again, that PS 3 was a work horse and was flawless.

Stay as far away as possible from Pioneer Elite players, I was gonna go Oppo but went Pioneer about a year ago... I swear I have unplugged it roughly 600 times so far because it doesn't shut down properly. It even says in the manual to plug it into an easily accessible place as if they knew you would be unplugging it 3 times a day...

I needed a player that put out HDMI for video and RCA for audio and the pioneer and the Oppo were the only players left that had those outs.

Edited by cradeldorf
  • Like 1

i also have no idea of it's playing quality vs. others...

you need only read the technical reviews and accolades.

I've been through a bunch of DVD players, including an over priced Denon unit. I've only owned 2 BluRay players (sony and Philips, because they were cheap), but I did my reviews and junked the junk, and currently own 3 OPPO's, they are excellent players, and no troubles or dislikes, other than my OPPO 83SE having issues with the slide-out tray. It's been acting up for over a year, but not bad enough for me to want to let it go.

Edited by Gilbert

other than my OPPO 83SE having issues with the slide-out tray

Oppo mentions this here on their website.  Maybe sending it in won't be too expensive.....?

Oppo makes great players!  I have a 103, 83, and my son has a DV-981HD for CDs in his room.  Haven't had any read problems.

Edited by Rivernuggets

I have a few Oppo DVD players, then got the 83, 95, 103 and 103D.

The 83 will play SACD and MP3 files, but not FLAC. 

The 95 will play MP3, FLAC, etc. from the USB and has the better DAC and balanced outputs.

The 103/105 series added a LOT.  HDMI ins, USB in, toslink in, etc. It is a true media server.

I would hold out for 103.  Oppo has them refurbished for $419 (just keep checking inventory). 

They come with the full 2yr warranty.

Oppo warranties are not transferable.