Help choosing a sub

qwank

I've been looking for a sub and two have come up recently on my local craigslist. One is the KSW-15, and the other is the KSW-300.

Poking around online it seems the KSW-300 is a better sub, not sure how much better though.  The 15 is $100 and close to home, the 300 is $250 and over an hour away. The speakers I'm going to be using this with are a pair of KG 5.5 and a KV-3 Center channel.  I don't have any rear speakers yet. 

So should I take the drive and get the 300, or buy the cheaper 15 and spend the money somewhere else. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.  

Both of these subs are 15 years or older.  Failure is a real possibility for the amps.  I don't know if it is possible to spend a little more but, I would go for something newer.  First, how large is the room?   Large room vented sub, small rooms can get by with a good sealed sub.  Where are you located?  Will this be for movies and music?  This will give the forum a better ideal or what to recommend.  Guys on the forum may help you find a nice sub.  Welcome to the forum and ask a lot of question.

Personally I'd get the $100 KSW-15 and save the extra $150 for a new BASH 300 plate amp for when that old Klipsch amp dies out. The KSW subs were designed for movies more than music but the 5.5's do pretty good on their own. I'd just crossover the sub really low to fill in that last little bit, maybe at 40-45hz and it should be OK, hard to beat for that kind of money anyway. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Jesse

Your room isn't huge, but is it sealed? Meaning, does it open up to other rooms in the house or is it a dedicated room. I would go with a 15" or 18". No replacement for displacemeant. I'd check out parts express, they have sub kits. Might be much better bang for your dollar.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130

Have heard several people rave about this, including one guy who halfway knows what he's doing and usually buys pretty expensive stuff. $169 is hard to beat. You can't even buy the amp separately for that. It's a 300 watt BASH amp.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130

Have heard several people rave about this, including one guy who halfway knows what he's doing and usually buys pretty expensive stuff. $169 is hard to beat. You can't even buy the amp separately for that. It's a 300 watt BASH amp.

Polk audio

Foam surround

Bash amplifier

Be sure to buy the extended warranty if this is purchased.

Polk audio

Foam surround

Bash amplifier

Be sure to buy the extended warranty if this is purchased.

It's also $169 brand new. I thought we were on a strict budget here for some reason, and having to be limited to 15 year old subs.

Let's think about that for a minute more. 15 year old cheap subs. Or, this. The KSW-300 is more like 17 years old minimum.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Old, weak, tired 15's are really not that great sounding in my opinion. They can be slow, sloppy and hard to match with main speakers unless you cross them over really low for rumble effect. With cheaper, lower end subwoofers it seems its easier to get better sound out of smaller drivers like 10's or 12's. Of course you don't get as much room shake so its kind of a trade off. Cheap subwoofers seem to do one or the other; sound good with music or shake the room for home theater. If you want both from a single sub the price goes up quite a bit, this has been my experience anyway.

Old, weak, tired 15's are really not that great sounding in my opinion. They can be slow, sloppy and hard to match with main speakers unless you cross them over really low for rumble effect. With cheaper, lower end subwoofers it seems its easier to get better sound out of smaller drivers like 10's or 12's. Of course you don't get as much room shake so its kind of a trade off. Cheap subwoofers seem to do one or the other; sound good with music or shake the room for home theater. If you want both from a single sub the price goes up quite a bit, this has been my experience anyway.

+1, but we're talking about supplementing some KG5.5's on the low end which are already rated for 34hz-20Khz.

quank - did you ever look into these that I had suggested through PM?

Velodyne FSR-12 - very fair price @ $100 and I wouldn't hesitate on this especially for HT and a "right now" void fill.

http://nh.craigslist.org/ele/5303343742.html

Velodyne F-1500 (Montreal) - Listed @ $500 - location probably an issue for acquisition 

http://montreal.craigslist.ca/ele/5330478284.html

SVS PB-12nsd - $600 will kill your budget, but these have a good following

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/5297646261.html