Restore or Mod A Maggie 6V6 Console Pull

thebes

Welcome Noremac, you'll like it here. 

This is the perfect place to be asking these questions.  I'm intending to do the build this winter, so we can do this together if you are going push/pull or Maynard and the folks can do you proud if you are going SEP..

You can get some decent mileage out of those 6V6 console amps, provided you are able to undo the EQ'ing they have in them.  I just did a pair of 169's for a friend and he's super happy with them, but they were pretty heavily EQ'd for both the speakers and a ceramic phono cartridge IIRC.

20160928_184250_HDR_zps9nkrwilv.jpg

In these I went ahead and had an ABS front plate made for each one, as I wanted to add a power switch and to cover up the inconsistencies between them.  I also added some thin ABS plates internally to cover up some of the holes, as well as to provide a proper mating surface for the binding posts.  Internally, I reduced the number of grounding points to two (it would've been one but I forgot the HV CT connection, oops!), I installed a new old stock 9 pin socket in each amp, and all new caps/resistors without the EQ.  A big weak link on these amps is the ceramic capacitor at the input to the first stage; just replacing it with a polystyrene does wonders for these little guys.  I used a lot of teflon sleeving because I didn't want to add a bunch of terminal strips that would take up any more space in the amp.  

I dumped the twist-lock and went with a conventional can cap for the high voltage section, and you can see the last power supply electrolytic has been relocated close to the driver stage.  

20160928_184315_zpsgbhrigs2.jpg

• 1 year later...

I really wished I loved closer to some of you on this thread.  I would like to hang out for a few weekends and learn about tub amp construction.  I ran across this thread when I searched to forum for Magnavox Amp 175-67.  I wanted to learn more about removing one from a console and rebuilding.  I must admin, I am a bit overwhelmed and in awe of ya'll. 

4 hours ago, Forte Too said:

I really wished I loved closer to some of you on this thread.  I would like to hang out for a few weekends and learn about tub amp construction.  I ran across this thread when I searched to forum for Magnavox Amp 175-67.  I wanted to learn more about removing one from a console and rebuilding.  I must admin, I am a bit overwhelmed and in awe of ya'll. 

Where are you located?

Maynard