PS3 Slim or AVR? No longer decoding Dolby TrueHD

timdog5000

"Straight" on a Yamaha amp means that it's simply spitting out whatever the source is sending it, it's the same as Direct mode on many other units. Think of it as an "Auto" for surround formats. Straight will never openly identify if the source material is Dolby TruHD or other formats, because it's basically receiving the audio the same as it would in multi-channel in...just without all the wires.

What would be your suggestions on how to go about fixing the problem? I'm not sure how long it's been going on, the last movie I watched was in Atmos and it decoded as Straight as well. I thought it decoded it like that because I do not have an Atmos enabled receiver. So tonight I put on a movie that I know decodes as Dolby true HD. As far as I can tell my settings are still the same

For both of these, it would be whatever your PS3 sent for playback. For the Atmos one, I'd venture a guess it was probably downmixed to either 2 channel or TrueHD. TrueHD probably was sent as TrueHD. The only real difference is one setting has all of the lights come on receiver, the other it just says straight. Same sound, different methods of getting there.

ETA: Some Yamaha receivers will let you switch directly out of that mode with one of the sound format buttons, others you have to hit the straight button first, before switching sound profiles.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Usually when I hit the Surround decode button it will go to Dolby Truehd or DTS MASTER or whatever. Just went downstairs and tried hitting the straight button and then surround decode didn't make a difference unfortunately. I'm honestly perplexed, I went to the manual numerous times I know this receiver pretty well the PS3 I'm not as familiar with but I checked the settings against the settings suggested for home theater on the AVS forum and it looks right,

If it is TRULY being decoded properly even though it says straight I don't have a problem with it I'm just worried it is not being decoded properly and I am missing out on some of the audio aspects , why would it all the sudden stop saying it on the front of the AVR. I was reading on some forums that I should just set it to Linear PCM Because I will not get Dolby true HD anyway, but I think they were talking about the bigger style not the PS3 slim

My V663BL will automatically default to Straight when I disconnect/reconnect an HDMI source for that specific input, so if for some reason the wire was bumped at either end, that could have done it. I'd add that the V663BL continues to process in TrueHD when "Straight" displays as outlined on the source-indicators (speaker indicators). By far the best thing IMO, since it ensures that you're always listening to the correct format (and good for those of us who live with people who don't know what a surround format is).

• Moderators

I don't think I actually answered your question Michael, yes I do want to see it on the front of the receiver it may make no difference whatsoever and be a total marketing gimmick but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I see it :-)

I was the same way with my (Fat) PS3.  I hated seeing PCM thinking I too was missing something.  Just had to research online and found that I was getting a full Dolby TrueHD signal with PCM.  Your situation is a little different with it saying Straight.  Nothing wrong with questioning it to make sure you are getting the full HD Audio.

What would be your suggestions on how to go about fixing the problem? I'm not sure how long it's been going on, the last movie I watched was in Atmos and it decoded as Straight as well. I thought it decoded it like that because I do not have an Atmos enabled receiver. So tonight I put on a movie that I know decodes as Dolby true HD. As far as I can tell my settings are still the same

Return the Atmos?

Mark

Thanks for suggestions everyone, i hit the INFO button and now it is reading Dolby TrueHD. Dont remember doing that before, but fine by me. Easy fix, even though I was tempted by Scrappys suggestion to get a new AVR, I would MUCH rather spend my money on bigger subs.