see what happens when you mock Ketchup

BigStewMan

But in 1933, Kraft Foods though differently. Inventor Charles Chapman's patented emulsifying machine allowed regular mayonnaise to be evenly blended with cheaper dressings and more than 20 different spices (plus sugar). The result was Miracle Whip, which debuted at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair. Promising to create "Salad Miracles with Miracle Whip Salad Dressing," the Whip was an instant hit (Note: It's not known if the dressing is responsible for any non-salad-related miracles.)

The main difference between Miracle Whip and mayonnaise are the sweeteners: high-fructose corn syrup and sugar are the fourth and fifth ingredients, respectively, of Miracle Whip.

Oy very, high fructose corn syrup!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Anyone who has any taste at all knows that burgers need mayo and mustard

Yes, both make for a great flavor together. 

I realize that this is the wrong thread but I agree totally and found dipping my fries in this combination most excellent! That said, along with ketchup all three are on the table when we have Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and the best food of all, French Fries.

{Random Note: The worst French Fry mistake I've witnessed in my lifetime is whatever Wendy's does to their fries when they changed to sea salt and whatever the heck they do to make them soggy.}

Texans not like food?  Talk about inflammatory! 

As to mustard and Miracle Whip, they are to be used separately and not mixed any more than you would white and red wine.  MW shines on BLTs, Smoked Turkey, and ham sandwiches...sort of the same choices as to whether to have white or red wine.  Mustard for strong meats, like hamburger or beef in general.  Roast beef?  Depends on the mood, as it is not strong beef and may work well with either.  Choice du jour.

Dave

• Like 1

My wife would disagree with that as she's a big mustard fan. As in mustard and peanut butter sandwiches.

She does, however, put ketchup on her French Toast. But what can I say....she's British.

Sounds like you're a lucky man.  Love the accent...do you ever just sit there and ask her to talk?

Edited by BigStewMan

My wife would disagree with that as she's a big mustard fan. As in mustard and peanut butter sandwiches.

She does, however, put ketchup on her French Toast. But what can I say....she's British.

Sounds like you're a lucky man.  Love the accent...do you ever just sit there and ask her to talk?

LOL! Before I met her, she was very new to our area. She had a CB radio in her pickup truck and would ask for directions from the semi-truck drivers on the nearby highway. See......she also has one of those 1-900 phone number voices and probably had a few of those truck drivers in a skid.

Edited by Mighty Favog

Ever try taking a boat load of fresh black pepper and stirring it into your ketchup until the mixture looks pretty much black?It is great for French fries! ;)Roger

how big of a boat do you recommend?

Experiment and add what tastes best to you, I like it where it looks more black than red :)

Roger

• Like 1

Getting old isn't for *******.  Watching things like the holy hamburger degenerate into haute cuisine over a lifetime has been hard.  Texans generally agree it originated in Athens, Texas.  That account is fair and balanced, IMHO, even if it is Texas Monthly. 

He describes it right, to a point:  mustard, lettuce, onions, pickles, tomato on a toasted bun.  The only part that is modern is "buttered" toasted bun.  It's quite good, but the real deal is this:

Hand made patties of no more than 80/20 ground chuck fried in a cast iron skillet just big enough for the number you need to cook.  When the burgers are done, the buns are then placed right in the accumulated fat to fry/brown to a nice crust and the rest assembled as quickly as possible. 

THAT is the quintessential American hamburger.  My mother first made them in the 1930s precisely that way on the beach in Galveston, Texas and that's how she made them at home.  The story of her baked Coney Island hot dogs is another way to a sweet and early death I have passed down to my son.  

Dave

Whataburger.

Or a Texas Dairy Queen.  Both default to that recipe for the basic burger...just like God intended. 

Both of those are amongst the best of the chain burgers.  But both only hint at the home made perfection of a Texas hamburger made AT HOME.

Dave

• Like 2