RCA Noise Stopper Caps/Plugs...

SWL

I've never even heard of these before. Anyone have experience with these or something similar? Are they a joke or are they actually effective?

I'm totally skeptical of this kind of stuff. However, I have three different kinds of interconnects in the house (here we go!) and they all sound different from each other. Why, I don't know but they do.....there's no doubt about that.

Thanks,

-Scott

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-RCA-Noise-Stopper-Caps-pack/dp/B00447ZOCE

Edited by SWL

The metal ones will shunt the input directly to ground eliminating noise only when that specific input is selected. Say you have a McIntosh C2200 and only have two things plugged in, a CD player and a record player, if you had shorting plugs in all the other inputs there would be no noise coming through your equipment if you accidentally choose a source that has nothing plugged into it. For instance you choose DVD on accident the plugs will have that input shunted to ground so it is dead quiet. Or you might not even hear anything and the no connection could start a high frequency oscillation that burns out your tweeters. That and they keep the dust and moisture out of the connector.

Edited by xxJPMxx

The metal ones will shunt the input directly to ground eliminating noise only when that specific input is selected. Say you have a McIntosh C2200 and only have two things plugged in, a CD player and a record player, if you had shorting plugs in all the other inputs there would be no noise coming through your equipment if you accidentally choose a source that has nothing plugged into it. For instance you choose DVD on accident the plugs will have that input shunted to ground so it is dead quiet. Or you might not even hear anything and the no connection could start a high frequency oscillation that burns out your tweeters. That and they keep the dust and moisture out of the connector.

The shorted one's i did not post for the same reason, dust caps is what i use.

Shorted pin rca's are a whole nuance themselfs, and i would recommend anyone condemplating using a shorted pin rca, dam sure you know what you are doing, because you will NOT get a second guess.

Stick with plastic/rubber, effective and harmless.

post-57941-0-93960000-1448214298_thumb.j

I have a dim recall of some publication from the '70s or earlier.

Assuming there are unused inputs there was a technique of using an RCA plug which had the center pin shorted to ground.  But the preferred set up was to have a 1000 ohm resistor or so wired there instead of a short.

Maybe phono inputs were susceptible to noise and a.c. pick up.  With a line level input it seems far fetched. 

What is being sold seems to have no connection to the center connection.

If you have a problem, maybe any of these would help. 

If you don't, I fall back on my bromide:  You can't make things better by solving a problem which does not exist.  Smile.

WMcD

• Like 1

If worried about noise just short your unused inputs to ground. If worried about dirt, I like minermarks rubber caps.

Or you might not even hear anything and the no connection could start a high frequency oscillation that burns out your tweeters.

If shorting an unused input to ground causes this your amp/preamp/receiver is not stable and you have larger fish to fry.

What is being sold seems to have no connection to the center connection.   If you have a problem, maybe any of these would help. 

Aluminum is supposed to block RFI, so I wonder if the idea was for the aluminum cap to stop RFI from entering through an open female jack.  Never worked for me ... 

Edited by LarryC

If the short causes problems, maybe that is why The Ancients were using a resistor.

Speaking as one of The Ancients, I think my old McIntosh C28 preamp (c.1974) came with metal RCA caps, already installed, on all inputs.  I think they were the shorting type, but can't be sure.  They always made me vaguely nervous.