pulsating tinnitus

A1UC

On 5/26/2017 at 1:07 AM, JL Sargent said:

Rodney, maybe try a mouthpiece like football players wear.

@ACV92 try this. I wear one when doing chores around the homestead cuz my wife said I'm always clenching my teeth. It helps alot. Also I wear hearing protection when using power tools ----weedwhacker, lawnmower, jackhammer etc....

I'll try to say this so it makes sense.  Audiologist said the tenitius is caused by not hearing due to hearing loss, ok?  High frequency was gone in both ears and almost everything sounded muddy.  Hearing aids will restore the hearing she said and tenitius will be better.  She was right but hearing aid are expensive, annoying to wear and they tend to pack in the wax if you have wax, some people don't.  I tried them at an outdoor concert and was amazed, I was able to hear all the music again.  I don't use them often but hearing loss and therefore, tenitius is reduced when I do.  The volume can be turned down in loud surrounding and a wifi device is available that connects with phone so they can be used as ear buds that are calibrated to your hearing ability. Good Luck to all that suffer.

I've had it for as long as I can remember, even as a young kid. I'd recognize the hiss whenever it got quiet. Don't think I've ever heard what silence sound like. It must be louder now than when I was young but there's no way to know for sure. Most days it doesn't bother me because it's been part of daily life the whole time.

Get good at falling asleep while thinking. Light thoughts about a hobby, a good friend you haven't seen in a while, (the positive things about :D) your kids, or fun plans going on tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Rivernuggets said:

I've had it for as long as I can remember, even as a young kid. Don't think I've ever heard what silence sound like.

Yep, that's exactly my situation also. That's what led me to listening to music thru headphones. I found that if I concentrate on the musical notes, I barely even notice the ringing noise.

YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great topic.  What level should we set as a goal for music and movies.  THX, perhaps is the best guideline.  An average of 85 db with 20 db. of headroom on either side seems reasonable for spirited listening sessions.   Cheaper gear or poorly recorded material will tend to sound louder due to distortion.  If this level sounds loud, back off.  It is only a rough guide.

I don't follow this guide and a great majority of time, my listening level is around 65 db. and will peak at 85 db or go down to around 45-50 db. on quiet passages.  I have no need to mimic a live concert venue the majority of time.  At those levels, OSHA has time limits for those levels.  Common sense tells you that you should not need to look up time limits and be sensible in our listening.  The real question is not how loud you can go but, why you can't achieve it at a safe level.

• 5 years later...

Holy Necropost, Batman!

I have tinnitus ringing badly in both ears.  It's really loud, and the "chords" don't match.  So I constantly hear a

I was leaning over my motorcycle putting air in the front tire, and it exploded inches from my head. 

I lost most of the range above 9k.  At the time, I was working as a sound man for an amusement park.  I tried to hide the issue, but it soon became obvious to management.  Time for a career change at that point.  They gave me an invitation to the rest of the world...

On 10/26/2022 at 11:42 AM, Schu said:

damaged nerves CAN NOT be regenerated...

the sound is the brain trying to 'fill in' missing information.

They nerves can be restored with the new steroid based stuff the MIT people created and sold the rights to for 160 million bucks

Check the internet for details.

JJK.