Listening party

justinsweber

I told Steve Lefkowicz about my headphone amp and the new Eliptrac 240s... He wanted to come hear and brought along some friends. Russ, Stratton, Steve Lefkowicz, and Mike Mercer. My 2 close friends join in to aid with setup. Andy Mawhinney, Art Acosta. My wife and daughter were out of town so setting up the whole house to audition was pretty amazing. After comparing my reference pair of Cornscalas to the pair getting ready to be shipped to NYC all agreed that the big boys were better in every respect. (I still love my pair more :-) ). The big Eliptrac 240 and BMS 4592 throws a huge immersive sound stage. ALK crossing over 300hz and 4500hz proved a wise choice giving the cornscalas a bass speed I haven't heard before. Drinks, Chocolate, and beagles had by all. The system was thunderous with 3 watts of SE goodness. (Ken-Rad 6B4Gs). MBP and Pono as source. 

gallery_36992_301_50755.jpg

gallery_36992_301_6202.jpg

gallery_36992_301_26809.jpg

Edited by justinsweber
  • Like 1

Mike Mercer was kind enough to listen to my Kenzie headphone amp with Mr. Speaker Ether C headphones. I've used Audezze LCDs before and loved, but the Ether C took out the room interaction and we so light and comfortable. If  you need a reference headphone it might be the one. Mike had the volume 10:30 and the Ether Cs were jaw dropping. Headphones are truly a way to taste reference level sound without the need of big speakers or complex systems. 

Never had some many good ears listening. They brought and left some great music, fun time by all.

gallery_36992_301_12494.jpg

Edited by justinsweber

In remembering my impressions on the earlier listening session on the same speakers we had with you and I and two others I had mixed feelings. The first, the positive, related to the mid range. Absolutely won me over. The air and detail - a real sense of "live performance" on the vocals - it was a real treat. I could have listened to that mid range all night. The base, well, not so much. Just seemed to lack punch and definition. Didn't hammer as well as I thought it might (my set has the same Eminance KappaPro 15c speakers and a very similar crossover with the ALK ES500's . . . . .albeit a higher crossover point . . . .but I was expecting very similar). Seemed a bit lacking in energy and defined power. Maybe the listening room (hard concrete floors and that garage door behind us . . . . gotta be a terrible environment). But, man, the midrange. I've been wanting to duplicate that ever since I left. Think about it often. Maybe the BMS 4592 drivers? If yes, might they have a similar impact on my Eliptrac 400's? If so, I'm definitely going to pick up a pair. The midrange was stunning. Gotta have it - however I get there !!