New RP-280's for 2 channel?

crouse

I did a search in the forums and didn't really find the info I'm looking for.  What are your opinions of the new Reference Premiere towers for 2 channel listening?  They would never be used as part of a HT set up.  Crutchfield has them on sale right now and I am tempted.

I did a search in the forums and didn't really find the info I'm looking for.  What are your opinions of the new Reference Premiere towers for 2 channel listening?  They would never be used as part of a HT set up.  Crutchfield has them on sale right now and I am tempted.

Though I have never heard the RP-280F's myself, I have heard/read that they sound wonderful with stereo music.

One review here, take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2012897-klipsch-rp-280f-tower-speakers-official-avs-forum-review.html

Bill

I did a search in the forums and didn't really find the info I'm looking for. What are your opinions of the new Reference Premiere towers for 2 channel listening? They would never be used as part of a HT set up. Crutchfield has them on sale right now and I am tempted.

What's your alternative speaker?

I've listen to these at high volume in a open and expansive space... they were very powerful and sapce filling if that is your concern.

Edited by Schu

I did a search in the forums and didn't really find the info I'm looking for. What are your opinions of the new Reference Premiere towers for 2 channel listening? They would never be used as part of a HT set up. Crutchfield has them on sale right now and I am tempted.

I've listen to these at high volume in a open and expansive space... they were very powerful and sapce filling if that is your concern.

I have a pair of Spendor SP/1's that I will be keeping to rotate with the new speakers.  I had a pair of La Scalas and sold them because I was sensitive to the upper midrange/lower treble harshness.  However, I really miss the dynamics of the LS -- they could sound more like live music than anything else I've heard.  I may try to find another pair of LS, or maybe Cornwalls, but really would like something smaller.  I am also considering Tekton speakers.

I have the RP 280F's and really love 'em.  I've had them for a month, so I'm still breaking them in, but they sounded great right out of the box.  I have a sub available, but I ended up moving it to the bedroom system.  These do not require a sub unless you have to have chuffing, knock the pictures off the wall bass.  For stereo listening, these give a LOT of bang for the buck.  Crisp highs, clear mids, and bass, while I wouldn't call it massive, is quite abundant and clear.  I listen to jazz, classical, and mostly, 60's and 70's rock.  Best speaker choice I've ever made.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Spendor SP/1's that I will be keeping to rotate with the new speakers. I had a pair of La Scalas and sold them because I was sensitive to the upper midrange/lower treble harshness. However, I really miss the dynamics of the LS -- they could sound more like live music than anything else I've heard. I may try to find another pair of LS, or maybe Cornwalls, but really would like something smaller. I am also considering Tekton speakers.

Rp's are no la scala... it's really that simple.

The beaming of the LS can be tamed, but it takes a bit of work... same with the cornwall.

I find the heritage really great for highly nuanced and acoustical music and slightly less so for the wall of sound of heavy loud rock.

There are better speakers for rock than the heritage because of the on axis performance imho

Edited by Schu

The RP280 is an outstanding speaker. The new horn material that Klipsch is using has really refined highs. At full retail I believe they are a good value. At what Klipsch has them for right now ($419 as mentioned above) makes them a great buy. Even though I just bought speakers, if I had the cash I'd buy a pair for $838. Wow!