Audio bucket list

opusk2k9

This might not be the right place to post, but it might result in me selling a lot of stuff.
Also, this is where I have met the people I know on the forum.

Some recent auditory issues have started me thinking.

If you knew that your hearing was going to decline sharply in the next 6 months,

What would you NEED to hear/rehear, before you won't be able to hear it properly?

Please include movies and specific songs/albums.
You might say all of Pink Floyd, but that might not leave room for other things, so be a bit picky.

What would you recommend for someone else?

I enjoy rock, classic rock, alternative, etc.
I am not as into jazz, but this is one of my favorite songs/performances of the last year or so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcUeothSPyc

Lastly, what system would you want to (re)experience the music on?
I will limit this to stock Klipsch and close variants (modded Belle, La Scala, Cornscala, etc.).

You can choose the electronics as well (VRDs, McIntosh, etc.).

Please keep is realistic though $5K-$15K total on the used market.
USNRET's system comes to mind.

I am interested to hear what you come up with (only a slight pun intended). :P

I'd like to hear a cross-section of music, especially great classical and more modern orchestral music, very well recorded.

Since I've never heard a Jub, I'd like to hear the above on a Jub three channel system, in a large, well treated room, probably with Audyssey XT32.

• Like 1

Well, I'd watch Metallica's Through The Never on my own system.  

Would want to hear a vintage'ish system play Weezer's blue album start to finish.  

I'd want to experience a nice booming car audio system one more time.  

I'd want to hear a good Poison and/or GnR cover band on a Marshall tube amp.  

I'd want to hear a good soul bass player on a nice Ampeg 8x10 with a tube amp.  Something like the stuff on Songs in the key of Life.  

Would want to hear a good slap bass player or even Flea himself on a Gallien Krueger bass setup.  

Would want to hear a good drummer in a typical rock concert setup where the double bass is boosted like crazy around 63 hz.  

Would want to experience some of the world's largest pipe organs where they can crank out 8 hz.  

Would like to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band on front and center balcony at the Ryman Auditorium.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Some recent auditory issues have started me thinking. If you knew that your hearing was going to decline sharply in the next 6 months,

I am sorry to hear about the health issues Brandon.  You have a knack for picking out great female vocalist.  I would like to her a pair of Khorns and the Palladiums on some nice Mac gear setup correctly. to get everything from the speakers and amp.  Stay strong my friend. :)  I can't pick one or two types of music.  Maybe a host of music from my collection.

Being a rock-n-roller, it may come as a surprise that the song would be The Londonderry Air by Mantovani and his Orchestra.  

p.s. my hearing is 80% gone...hearing aids in both ears.  don’t think i hear things as “natural” but at least i can hear it.

Good luck to you my friend.

Edited by BigStewMan

I'd recommend a setup like mikebse2a3 has using Jubilees and TAD 4002s, which is in your price range:

DSC_2911-resize3.jpg

If you look at the setup in my profile, it will also reproduce like Mike's setup--only in 5.1 using upgraded and bi/tri-amplified Klipsch Heritage and better drivers/horns and time alignment in the other loudspeaker array positions. 

I've found that amplifiers by Nelson Pass' First Watt name brand sound quite good.  You may be a tube guy--if so then I'd recommend a high quality push-pull design, like Mike has shown in the picture above.

For music of the genre's that you've identified, I'd recommend Buddy Guy - Blues Singer, Flim & the BB's - Big Notes, or James Newton Howard & Friends CDs.  Additionally, any of the Toto Albums from their fourth album and later have pretty high dynamic range for rock albums, surprisingly. Any of the 1980s versions of the Dire Straits CDs (Brothers in Arms comes to mind), but not the remastered versions done later. Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries (1984 version) is tough to beat in terms of dynamic range of any genre.

As far as the best sounding CDs, I have a longer list of suggestions, but they've all been "unmastered" at home by yours truly.  Some of these CDs are really spectacular once they've been rid of their bass-crippling and treble-boosted EQ curves, as well as line noise removed and clipped peaks (if any) restored via Audacity. YMMV.

If you're thinking about a 5.1 setup, then I'd recommend Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City (Blu-Ray), among others.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check them out.

The Jubes likely have the lowest wife approval factor.  However, she hasn't had much of a say in what I have bought thus far.  :P

I have a bunch of gear and the hearing issues will motivate me to appreciate and enjoy it more.

MCM bass bins with 402's on top with 2 x 24" or bigger THT's filling in the low end.

Maybe the big Klipsch horn sub could be a replacement but i have not heard it yet so hard to comment on how it sounds.

Your Mac you just had serviced could power the mains & any good sub amp would do nicely for the THT's

Music is subjective, just add your favorites.

For the money i can't see much room for improvement.

I think it would be Jubs with a serious horn loaded sub, or it might be? a gentleman's system I bought a sub box from. He runs a mtm with dual AE 18's, with I think is a seos horn, bms coaxs and a pair of gjallarhorns and a pair of othorns.... Specs look pretty good....

Edited by juniper

• 5 weeks later...