Hesitant On New X-Overs....

SWL

After almost two weeks now since installing the new crossovers, a few things have become apparent. The port extensions are not needed anymore. The bass issue I was having prior to the new crossovers was apparently remedied by a 'band aid' with the port extensions. Although 90% of the time I listen at around 70db, if I do decide to turn up the volume it stays balanced at any volume. This wasn't the case with the original crossovers and was part of the reason the volume levels stayed low almost all of the time.

I've always had a little 'hump' in the 12k frequency range and although it's still a minor cut at about -3...I've never been able to boost this frequency range because it just wasn't smooth and didn't sound right. Now, to gain a little more clarity in the music I'm able to boost to +4 at 12k thanks to the new crossovers.

Although it doesn't sound like it needs it, this makes me tempted to experiment with other frequencies. It's cool how a small adjustment at 12k actually has a slight effect on how I'm hearing the bass as well.

Edited by SWL

Wvu80, Thanks for your comments on my post.

(respectful snip! just wanted to reference the post)

Here’s a link to the published study.  -Lee

Good analysis, Lee. 

I wish more people would be skeptical about "research" claims with the good eye and keen mind you have.

-Dave

"Harshness" is an interesting topic. We have everything from different hearing curves (some have a sensitivity to the increase in higher frequency output, while others don't even notice it due to high frequency hearing loss), source material, and finally, the quality of the parts employed in the network. If the source material is good and hasn't had a massive amount of compression applied to it - any source of harshness is due to the capacitors.

So if you were one of the people who were very sensitive to higher frequencies (me) and occasionally use the word "harshness" to describe such things, you're saying a capacitor upgrade will fix it?  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 1 month later...

Another benefit I've noticed since upgrading the crossovers is that I can make a 4db bump up in the 12k range for more clarity and it sounds great. I couldn't do that before with the original crossovers...just didn't sound right.