Replacement Woofers....

SWL

About a year ago I talked to 'Simply Speakers' over the phone asking them about replacement woofers (K-31) for KLF-30's. He said that basically, the original woofers were "throw away woofers". They don't have ANY type of replacement. I know that Klipsch is pretty much out of the K-31 "E" version and Bob Crites is the only source left.

I have done business with Bob in the past and won't hesitate to buy from him in the future, but......

......how can there be NOBODY else out there that supplies a woofer to match these specs? Seems odd....and disappointing. Now, even the Jub's have different woofers where as before they were interchangeable with the 30's.

Most likely I'll be buying some from Bob but just found this to be questionable. Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Scott

Are they making noise ? Grinding, popping scraping ?

Surrounds OK ?

Any air leaks in the cabinet ? Play a 20 Hz tone & go around the cabinet with a small hose to your ear and you will hear a chuffing noise wherever there are leaks present.

The only throw away speakers i have seen were ones that rebuilding kits are not available for or anything made by Bose.

No defects whatsoever.....but when I do blow one, hopefully Bob stays healthy for years to come.

"Throw away speakers" was a phrase they used. Apparently because nobody but Klipsch made replacements at the time.....and now they no longer do. Good thing Bob is doing his thing.

• Like 1

I blew up a couple of these drivers a few years ago, I was lucky enough to find used replacements on eBay. I took the woofers to my local speaker repair guy and he turned them away saying they were probably custom made by Klipsch? and he couldn't locate parts. He also stressed that regular paper cones would not have the same frequency response or sound. This is the main reason I steer away from the KLF and CF line of speakers.

I took the woofers to my local speaker repair guy and he turned them away saying they were probably custom made by Klipsch? and he couldn't locate parts.

That was it. I asked if they could just repair them. I have four extras that are all blown. He said he couldn't repair them for the same reasons you stated.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat with the Heresy's i recently picked up, i could throw some aftermarket recone kits in but they will never be the same as they were new and Klipsch kits are no longer available.

Just going to pick up some new drivers and do some mods.

If Bob has replacements it may be the way to go if you don't want to monkey around.

I'm in the same boat with the Heresy's i recently picked up,

From Bob's site:

"Our CW1228 12 inch Stamped Steel Frame Woofers.  Replacement woofer for the Heresy 1 and Heresy II speakers.  Also works good in the KLF-30 and the KLipsch Jubilee."

From Bob's site:

"Our CW1228 12 inch Stamped Steel Frame Woofers.  Replacement woofer for the Heresy 1 and Heresy II speakers.  Also works good in the KLF-30 and the KLipsch Jubilee."

I saw that, thank you Scott.

If I'm going to spend $200 for new woofers I'm going to pick up some Eminence Delta pro 12A's as i will be running a sub and dont really need the bass.

The Delta's will excel in midrange detail and is a far better replacement for my needs.

Maybe something for you to consider as well but not sure it would work as a direct replacement in your KLF-30's.

Edited by jason str

I think Klipsch had to find another vendor for their version.  I think I was also told that the current version is the same as the prior so, if you ordered their replacement for the K31, it would work in both the KLF30 as well as the Jubilee.

I don't however, mean to speak on their behalf as I don't know that to be factual.  I think however, it was Roy that gave the info.

From Bob's site:

If I'm going to spend $200 for new woofers I'm going to pick up some Eminence Delta pro 12A's as i will be running a sub and dont really need the bass.

The Delta's will excel in midrange detail and is a far better replacement for my needs.

Maybe something for you to consider as well but not sure it would work as a direct replacement in your KLF-30's.

Jason,

Erich at DIYSoundGroup has had Eminence come up custom 12" driver for midbass. Might be worth checking out?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/replacement-parts/mag-12.html

I think I was also told that the current version is the same as the prior so, if you ordered their replacement for the K31, it would work in both the KLF30 as well as the Jubilee.

I wish that were the case. I talked to a guy at Klipsch about a year ago.....he said the new version is not the same. He wasn't some kid answering phones and seemed very knowledgable and helpful. If this is not the case hopefully someone will chime in.

From Bob's site:

Jason,

Erich at DIYSoundGroup has had Eminence come up custom 12" driver for midbass. Might be worth checking out?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/replacement-parts/mag-12.html

Sensitivity is way too low among other negatives but thank you for the link.

Good thing Bob is doing his thing.
+2 :emotion-21:

This is the main reason I steer away from the KLF and CF line of speakers.
Talk to the Chief about them. He and Jesse were quite eager to talk about their development at the last gathering.

In spades. :blink2::emotion-21:

Draw from this what you will.

Me on 6/18/2012 directly to Roy: I presume you now have the replacements for the K31 all figured out.

Is their performance identical? If not, is there any benefit to buying a quad of them and swapping them out?

Roy's verbose response on 6/27/2012: no.  the same.

Draw from this what you will.

Me on 6/18/2012 directly to Roy: I presume you now have the replacements for the K31 all figured out.

Is their performance identical? If not, is there any benefit to buying a quad of them and swapping them out?

Roy's verbose response on 6/27/2012: no.  the same.

Thanks Coytee.

Apparently, this lasted until the end of 2014 because like I said....Klipsch told me over the phone that the 'new' woofers for the Jubs were now different and that the only K-31's that were left were the "E" version and there were only a few. KLF-30 owners were SOL....

I suppose I could contact Roy...or call Klipsch again.

I see, so the "new" version that was referenced to me, (from what you understand) is no longer available.

I hadn't thought of that possibility!

Yeah....now go hook up your K2!

Blows me away how good a stereo amp this is. Carl better get on the ball, too. :)

Oh, I have two of them already hooked up.  My third (in closet) is for my center channel.....which....  is sitting in the garage without any drivers, but....the drivers (K33) are also sitting boxed in the garage.  I have five of them.  The K510 and TAD driver for 2-way use are sitting in the closet.

As much as I'd like to get it done, this isn't a big priority for me.  Been finishing a full bath in an area that was converted so don't have much time to finish up the LaScala.  Besides, it's starting to get cold out and I'm allergic to cold.  (would really detest what you might have to put up with!)

• Like 1