New TV's - what say the Forum

richieb

And a Happy Thansgiving to All ---- /

So I think the wife and I are deserving of a new TV for Christmas. I have pretty much decided on three brands - Samsung, LG and Sony. 55 - 65 inch. Keeping it below 2 grand.

I've been reading on 4K vs 1080 and like most things on the interweb lots of opinions. Curve vs flat.

OLED vs LED. Right now I'm thinking LG, 55-60, OLED. The OLED technology seems to provide the best picture technology available in both 4K and 1080.

And with your opinion(s) actual experience/ownership will lend lots of credence.

I just bought the Samsung 55" 4k from bestbuy for the bedroom and love it. Smart TV, reads right from my hard drives, great picture with upscaling, I really can't say enough good things about this TV. It's on sale now for $899:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/3953148.p?id=1219609307256&skuId=3953148

As I understand it, the added resolution at this early a stage is probably not worth it.  They do not broadcast in such high definition, nor is there any timeline in the horizon for when broadcasts will support the additional definition.  I think the technology is ahead of the infrastructure.  Could be wrong.  Discuss....

I went from a few year old 50" Samsung 1080p Plasma to the new 4k LED and it blows it away in picture quality with the same quality material. Most of the movies and TV shows I watch are 720p downloads and they looked good on the 1080p plasma but they really look HD on the new TV, its night and day difference.

I went from a few year old 50" Samsung 1080p Plasma to the new 4k LED and it blows it away in picture quality with the same quality material. Most of the movies and TV shows I watch are 720p downloads and they looked good on the 1080p plasma but they really look HD on the new TV, its night and day difference.

If I understand the technology correctly, you are still watching 720p density in your new TV.  The only difference should be the going from plasma to LED.  LED is much brighter.  That is a plus, but the extra definition adds nothing.

• Moderators
You should check out the 65" Vizio 4K going for $999.

I agree, and we paid $200 more for it about a month ago and still think it was a good deal. It's normally  $1300-$1500 and at that price compare the spec's of other Tv's, this is a good Tv, it seems anyway.

Just another opinion, shopped for weeks reading features and spec's

This chart that Dave posted really says to me that 4K (2160P) should be aimed at the HT projector market, not so much the TV market, and the "wide projection" market at that.

resolution_chart.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Before buying 4k, consult this chart. Pretty solid science.

Dave

Pretty solid? Lol I think it is rock solid.

The working of the eye is pretty well understood.

Related,: Remember when a new TV was good for 10 years? The broadcast world is still on that schedule.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Moderators

There is little to no 4K to watch anyway, i was not shopping for 4K just happen to find one with great spec's for this price, it just happen to be 4K. It was narrowed down to 2 models one was 4K the other wasn't, we got the better deal on the 4K because the other was out of stock.  

Yes they do use more electricity, but I was not worried about that it was under 50 watts compared to the same size 1080I it replaced. 

Every Tv I researched had the same warranty 1 year, I agree it will only take a few years before something newer and fancier comes along, it's why we try to keep the cost reasonable. When we bought our last Tv 10 years ago it was 1080i  CRT rear projection 65", at the time a Plasma 50" was more than twice the cost. Things change fast, now a good 65" LED 4K is back to the price we paid for that same size 1080i Tv 10 years ago $1200.

• Like 1

Went to best buy yesterday to pick up the 50" Toshiba for the folks for $150.00, too far back in line to get one of course.

I got there @ 3:00 and already 100 in line in front of me and they only had a dozen or so, the guy in the front of the line was there before 9:00.

A fight dam near broke out 20 people in front of me as a couple of Hindu's ( not sure if that is the right name but not sure what else to call them) invited a half dozen of friends to cut in line with them and the Mexicans right behind them were pretty pissed off.

Glad it was not in front of me as i have no patience dealing with asshats at all.

Don't get how people can wait in line all day for a deal, time is worth money as well in my mind.

• Like 1

Right now I'm thinking LG, 55-60, OLED. The OLED technology seems to provide the best picture technology available in both 4K and 1080.

:emotion-21: This.

No need to rewind the clock 15 years, even though LCD is in it's prime.

Screen resolution isn't everything. Amongst other metrics, OLED smokes everything in response time, even CRT.

Just like transient response in horn speakers, it's the first major difference your eyes experience....the complete absence of any ghosting or motion blur while tracking an object across the screen, regardless of the object's speed.

Some "light" reading on the topic:

http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Response_Time_ShootOut.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/LG_OLED_TV_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1

Regarding the "motion smoothing" technologies used in many new TVs

I recently learned this is called "the soap opera effect." I always wondered why shows shot with digital camera looked oddly different than movies, and shows shot on film. It turns out, that our brains have concluded that 24fps = fiction( story telling). It's what we expect, because movies have forever been shot at 24fps. When we see this super smooth, or enhanced motion, it registers as "wrong" with respect to storytelling. Funny, isn't it? It also explains partially why the theater experience is different. Before all this motion smoothing came out, the used to make 24fps into 30 by only adding an extra frame each five for TV broadcast. It looked quite similar then to 24fps native. 

Man, our brains are something, ain't they?

Edited by MrCatsup

No. There's a difference there. Don't confuse the two.

Soap Opera Effect is not from improved pixel response time or reduced image latency.

Rather, it's from either a change in source frame rate, or a distortion of the source frame rate using an interpolation filter (motion enhancement).

IOW - Even at maximum frame rate, a moving picture can still suffer ghosting or image persistence. The problem is in the screen itself, not the signal.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow