Hit by Ransomware

Islander

Rules of engagment = internet

1. Never click/open any pop up.

2. Run and pay for "Disconnect", i donate $5bucks a month, it's well worth their effort and their beliefs in open source.

3. Run the "Tor Browser" it's free but you can donate, this is not you're momma's browser, this browser is "Clean" no news no weather no ads and NO BS.

4. you can still keep you're yahoo/MsN browser(s), disconnect and Tor are simply on the desktop when you wish to run them.

I run disconnect all the time but only run Tor for the net/web at large, i close the Tor browser and open Yahoo for email.

Https: connections rule, even this forum is Https.

West of the mississippi, im am but one of the 5K Tor Contribitors/Moderators.

Nobody is going to protect you but you.

All time spent for an education on a little security is NEVER a waste.

What stands out running Disconnect and the TOR browser, is, you do NOT exist, pretty hard to send you Chit if no one knows you are there.

P.S. i adapted the idea a long time ago, if i wish to save something, stick it on a back up Disk/CD/Stick, and when i get a crash it's usualy time to build a new Pc anyway. 

When my Pc dies, it's hardware, not malware.

Follow the simple two steps above and you will be in the same boat: Disconect and the Tor browser. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

This seems a good time to remind folks what i do every dam year.

Simply spend one hour on security.

When is the last time you checked every window in you're house?

Is you're garage really that secure?

Door locks ?

Camers i run, because it's my hobby, but they are indeed priceless.

With cameras and a small motion sensing Dvr, you come home and find something amiss on you're property, you simply run back the Dvr and have all the ansers. Costco and the Bay are the best deals. and there is nothing wrong with wireless these days.

PC? well, i givin you what i do, keep it simple. but do take the time, Americans neighborhood security is getting worse, not better. you have the choice to make you'rs better.

Every neighbor i have has come over and ask me to run back my Dvr over the last six yeasrs for one reason or another, every time we saw what they were questioning.

I realize now i have quite a Rep in the neighborhood, one for High Spl once in a wile, and two, Cameras covered neighborhood. word gets around, and bad guy's lookout for these things.

Edited by minermark

Does someone have links for disconnect and Tor handy, I know I can google them but would just lie to be sure I am going to what is actually being recommended.

Google it.

Disconnect: https://disconnect.me/#get-cta

Tor Browser: https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en

Since I've used neither application, I don't know if these links are pointing to the same products that were referenced above.

YMMV.

Chris

• Like 1

I was thinking about getting an External dual 1T RAID external drive.

Is there protection you can put on an external drive?

The only problem iv ever had with anything that plugs in to back up is, REMEMBERING the dam thing is plugged in!

When i wish to save something, i reach in my desk drawer, pull out the stick, and done, once loaded, pull it out and back in the drawer, to date, never lost anything i care about.

Lets face it if you have a back up or some sort of external plugged in if/when the Disease comes down the pipe, can you trust you're external not to have the same infection?

Plug in when needed, pull out when not, easy.

My Pc has failed i think three times in 15 years, each time it;s hardware, i really do not care what iv lost Picture wise i likely had too many anyway. nice to start fresh once in a wile, it's just the suprise of the crash that kind of bothers me, you NEVER expect that when pushin on the power button. that reminds me, this one is pushin 5 years.....i could be due soon.

Edited by minermark

Does someone have links for disconnect and Tor handy, I know I can google them but would just lie to be sure I am going to what is actually being recommended.

Google it.

Since I've used neither application, I don't know if these links are pointing to the same products that were referenced above.

YMMV.

Chris

Very nice, thanx Chris :emotion-21:

P.S.  Read these pages well, you will like what you read, it's all about you.

Google it.

YMMV.

Chris

P.S.  Read these pages well, you will like what you read, it's all about you.

I just checked you're links, they ARE correct.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Google it.

YMMV.

Chris

P.S. Read these pages well, you will like what you read, it's all about you.

I just checked you're links, they ARE correct.

Thank you Chris and Mark

• Like 1

Backblaze is fine as long as you have another computer to get to it.

A memory stick can hold an entire Pc for back up/restart/refresh, and it's in you're drawer.

Paying anybody to hold something for me is BS. whata mean ? Like fkn Rent? you just do what makes you happy.

Im drinkin, and you and i still have this holiday to get through, i will adress you're issues in The BS thread at promised time.

A note on the "Tor" browser,

"You are now free to browse the Internet anonymously"

This being their Creed, the only nuance iv found is Copy/paste sometimes.

This being said, anonymous the Key word here, sometimes if you try and copy/paste

a link such as the CL as we do, The Link WILL NOT work.

Door locks ?

With cameras and a small motion sensing Dvr, you come home and find something amiss on you're property, you simply run back the Dvr and have all the ansers. Costco and the Bay are the best deals. and there is nothing wrong with wireless these days.

I need to pick your mind about long distance security.  Like cameras 1/4 mile away or more.  Have not found a feasible solution.  

Also, I've never heard of ransomware, even being in I.T.  Scary stuff.  I've heard of files being deleted and more importantly new files being downloaded or cmd.exe being executed, but holy crap.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Door locks ?

I need to pick your mind about long distance security.  Like cameras 1/4 mile away or more.  Have not found a feasible solution.  

Also, I've never heard of ransomware, even being in I.T.  Scary stuff.  I've heard of files being deleted and more importantly new files being downloaded or cmd.exe being executed, but holy crap.  

Well it should be obvious never an EXE unless you WANT that command to install something.

As far as 1/4 mile viewing, a MeggaPixel cam w/telephoto works well, night vision sucks on them, but megga Pixel cams can read lic plates, most any cam you buy anywhere will not see a lic plate, meggaPixel cams are becoming very popular and their price is coming down by the year.

Shop the Bay for makes/models and watch a lot of youtube Vids on cameras, you can get quite an education with what everyone has posted.

Im always here for questions w/40+ years in video CCTV,

• Like 2