Hit by Ransomware

Islander

I just got the Win10 update popup yesterday. Not gonna do it.

Nor me. I can't for the life of me figure out the fascination people have with changing OS. I just run my few programs.  

Look at some of my old posts.  I hate Miscrosoft.  That said, Win 10 is worth changing to.  Boots very fast with SS drive, and pretty intuitive.  Best OS since XP and better than XP. 

Now if they would just get rid of that dam ribbon in Office...

I just got the Win10 update popup yesterday. Not gonna do it.

Nor me. I can't for the life of me figure out the fascination people have with changing OS. I just run my few programs.  

For me it's along the lines of tinkering...I like Windows 10, much better than 8.0 or 8.1

Also, must say, this latest windows 10 update is horrible, major update being pushed out for early adopters, and you can't opt out.  Been wreaking havoc on my system.  

I am still on Win7 with no plans to update.

Are you saying the update from 7/8 to 10 is horrible?  Or are you saying once you have Win10, the Win10 itself now requires an update which is horrible?

What seems to be the problem with Win10?

They are pushing Windows 10 to revitalize the computer hardware business. I guess if an operating system was "Omni-Hardware-Adaptable" we would still be on DOS. Gee, I just invented another three letter dingus---"OHA".

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

Or are you saying once you have Win10, the Win10 itself now requires an update which is horrible?
Windows 10 has had one update that is pretty much like a new install and, depending on your system, can take a while to update. It will do a couple of restarts along the way as well.

Mine have gone smoothly so far. Systems run smoother and faster than they did with Windows 7.

Bruce

Back from the islands Bruce?  It seems like they are getting hit by a typhoon every other week.

Missed this one. We were only there for three weeks, but considering how I've not taken a three week trip there, it was wonderful.

Weather has cleared up, temps down to 75 at night, close to 90 during the day. We're looking at 5-7 more years here before we move over there.

Bruce

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I'm finally back!  It took over five weeks for the tech to do the data recovery, reload Windows 7 onto the two drives of the RAID, reload the files that were still useable, and set up the email program.

Most of my documents were lost, along with many jpeg images.  Quite a few recovered jpeg images were corrupted, so only part of the image is visible, and all of them had their filenames stripped off and replaced with something like "file1234".  Luckily, I can identify the subjects and approximate dates of most of the images, so it's just a matter of renaming thousands of pictures when I find the time.

On the bright side, the TIFF images seem to have been untouched, and they're the ones that I had spent time editing.

Bad as the situation is, it would have been worse if I had not shut down the computer fairly quickly.  The encryption process takes quite a bit of time, so the longer you keep your computer running, the more trouble you'll have.  If you think something like that is happening to your machine, turn it off instantly!  Don't waste time going through the shutdown procedure, since that just lets more encryption happen.

I was surprised that it took so long to fix the machine, but I had company visiting, plus it was time for Christmas and the associated preparations, so I had lots on my plate at the time, or I would have been complaining about it.  Even the email setup went wrong, and it wasn't until today that I got that sorted.

At least I got to do some reading, and I got caught up on the TV shows that I had recorded but hadn't had time to watch.

Now I have to get into the habit of using the new 1 Terabyte external drive that I bought to back up my files.