Hit by Ransomware

Islander

Yes, I was charged around $300, plus the price of the 1 TB external hard drive that I bought to do backups in future.  The shop has a dedicated recovery computer, but its drive was too small for this job, so the tech had to upgrade it with a bigger drive to handle the job.  My drives are only 750 gig (mirrored pair in a RAID configuration) so that seemed a bit odd.

It had to run for days to do some of the data recovery.  I didn't understand everything that was done, which is why I took it to the shop in the first place.

• Like 1

I ran across one of these before.  I always get paranoid and hit alt + F4 since I don't even know if the x in the window will actually close it or install something.

I had no idea how dangerous these pop ups were.  Why the hell would it have full access to my file system?  So this exploits a flash vulnerability?

The popup itself was not dangerous.  Things went wrong when I clicked okay to download the "urgent security update" that the first popups announced.  That was where the virus was hidden.

Then came the bigger popup telling me my files were encrypted.

Sorry to hear of your situation.  I back up my important files on an external hard drive that is only on when I need to copy files.

As an added measure of redundancy, I have two of these hard drives stored at families' homes (storage is pretty cheap nowadays).  Whenever I go to visit, I bring along another hard drive with the latest backups and bring the other one back home with me to use as my local backup.  I do this as a measure to prevent total loss of my files in the event of fire, theft, other natural disasters, or even just me making a dumb mistake.  I don't bother backing up software or things of that nature -- just things like photos and files I ether can't recreate or don't want to take the time to do so.  So I basically have four copies of my data -- one on my PC, a backup on an external hard drive, and two other hard drives in separate locations.  I don't really need to have two separate locations, but I do it so that I would have the most recent backups possible since I don't visit either place that often.