Sub for RF35's

Pete H

A good friend of mine has a pair of RF35's that I sold to him a few years back and loves them but is itching to add a sub for music and HT and I only have experience with the RSW 15's, and the SPUD that I built and I'm not sure what direction to point him in.  I don't think that either of the two that I have are going to be a good choice to go with his mains, so I'm reaching out for some advise.  He really doesn't want to spend more than $500 and if that's a build, that would include the amp.  He's a builder too, so doing a DIY isn't a problem. This doesn't have to be the lowest, loudest or the "best" at anything, just a solid return on a $500 outlay that will work will with the 35's.  Any thoughts?

Need to know how big of a room he has to know. 500 is a tough budget for DIY unless he goes with a small driver and lower power amp. Horn is also an option. Otherwise Svs makes a solid ported sub at 499$. Hsu has options at that price. I think just about every other big ID name doesn't offer much until the 800$ range

Here's a link to a nice DIY kit with a 15" Dayton driver and a 500 watt BASH amp for $580 shipped:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1/15-cube/dayton15-cube-kit.html

Thanks for the link.  I have plans for all the Tuba subs as well as others so my question about a kit like this or any of the builds is about how it's going to fit in with his mains.  Do you have experience with this sub and if so, what was it matched with? 

I don't have any experience with that kit myself, It's just one of those I found awhile back surfing the web. I've had the RF-35's before and thought they did a good job in the mid-bass to upper low bass regions so I would suspect all he would really need is some low end fill.

• 4 weeks later...

Kinda of a late response, but I have a pair of RF-3 towers paired with a diy subwoofer, and absolutely love the results. My setup is an Alpine Type R 15" (SWR-1522d) and a dayton SPA-1000 950watt amplifier. Setup was about $550 (if you find a deal on the woofer online) +cost of mdf. Output response is very flat, sails way past 120db, and completely has its way with my 19x14 listening space. The apline woofer sounds fantastic, and since it cools so well, it can be played near the limit for extended periods without breaking a sweat. Originally I had used the Dayton RSS-390HO, it too performed pretty well, but the the coil wasn't up to the task apparently. The setup blends seamlessly into the system with the RF-3.

Rob,

Why not have him get 2 used 12's? He should be able to find a decent pair,even if it's only 1 the 12 should be OK if he's not looking to shake the paint off the walls. My living room is 18 x 26 and is open to my dining room which is 15 x 18, and I only use 2 10's and they are Yamaha. They provided more than enough punch for my RF-25's. He can get an older unit from Klipsch if he went that way.Maybe 2.

• 2 weeks later...

For something simple to build, the Eminence LAB15 in a 4 cu ft enclosure will extend to 34 at -3db while taking a lot of power (600 watts RMS, 1200 watts peak).  You can get a precut sub box here for $160:  http://www.parts-express.com/denovo-audio-knock-down-mdf-40-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-with-blank-baffle--300-7088 

The LAB 15 driver is here:  http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-lab15-15-pro-audio-subwoofer-speaker--290-575%C2'> $285

The 4 ohm version is discounted right now to $199.  With a 11 cu ft box the -3db point is 26.  A more realistic (for me) 5 cu ft box will give a -3db of 32.  I'm strongly considering building the 4 ohm version in a 5 cu ft box.