Wax on

awsjr

this idea started when I bought a pair of the wax impregnated 3670 autoformers from Dean... after installing they seems to add a positive benefit... and after some reading it seemed to me that there is indeed a benefit of eliminating any mechanical vibration or as much as possible...

so this holiday weekend I spent taking my crossovers apart and soaking all the inductors in wax.... got a crock pot with a low setting, put in 3lbs of bees wax and let it melt which took a couple hours... preheated the inductors at 125 prior (this is critical), removed 2 or 3 of the wire ties and let them soak in the crock pot one at a time until the tiny air bubbles stopped, which was 15-20 minutes on average... after removing from the crock pot and wiping down I immediately replaced all the wire ties... caution : hot hot hot.... let them dry for 24hrs before reassembly....

perhaps a total waste of time ?... but to me well worth the effort.... this is obviously subjective as I cannot or do not know if its even possible to measure anything related to this... but I am happy with the result...

top left diy ALK es5800 .... top right original ALK Universals

bottom left diy mid and low ALK es400... bottom right diy "new ALK universal (48uF cap and 1.3 mH inductor)

post-14752-0-59180000-1448723066_thumb.j

I thought maybe the louder a person listened the higher the likihood they might notice a difference. Coils are prone to microphonic effects, both from noise and voltage - but probably not from the kind of voltages we normally use. Still the back section of a Klipshorn can get fairly loud.

Most use straight paraffin, bees wax seems like it might not have the same viscosity, but you were clearly displacing quite a bit of air.

I don't know about your car, but you should consider doing your guitars pickups - if you have any.

Edited by Deang

See https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/154013-external-crossovers/#entry1806612

If the crossovers are mounted inside of bass bins, then it can certainly get a bit microphonic, but mostly the capacitors...

...if you calculate the peak SPL inside a closed box, you'll be quite amazed at how loud it gets...

Chris

I believe the EV Georgian and Patrician had networks packed with tar. All of the old schoolers used SOMETHING.

"Coil noise" is a well know phenomenon. It's the reason inductors are potted, dipped, whatever. If It didn't exist, there wouldn't be any point in doing it.

Some capacitors are microphonic, some aren't. Wost offenders are the Micas.

I thought maybe the louder a person listened the higher the likihood they might notice a difference. Coils are prone to microphonic effects, both from noise and voltage - but probably not from the kind of voltages we normally use. Still the back section of a Klipshorn can get fairly loud.

Most use straight paraffin, bees wax seems like it might not have the same viscosity, but you were clearly displacing quite a bit of air.

I don't know about your car, but you should consider doing your guitars pickups - if you have any.

two reasons for the bees wax... 1) I already had it..  2) paraffin is petroleum based and dangerous around an open flame, even though I used a crock pot... bees wax is way more expensive though...

both the viscosity and melt temp of both are very close... 

with regard to potting guitar pickups I have read the best is a ration of paraffin and bees wax... and very important to pre heat the coil...

I do like it loud...