Curious again

Kelly McAloney

Kelly, I don't believe anyone is angry but rather trying to give you as much applicable information based upon personal experience and knowledge.

Add in some usual ribbing amongst the seasoned forum members, and you have a well rounded assembly of responses.  Stick around, enjoy the banter, and continue to ask questions when needed - this coming from a "newbie" myself.

Post count rising……...

• Like 1

Kelly, I don't believe anyone is angry but rather trying to give you as much applicable information based upon personal experience and knowledge.

Add in some usual ribbing amongst the seasoned forum members, and you have a well rounded assembly of responses. Stick around, enjoy the banter, and continue to ask questions when needed - this coming from a "newbie" myself.

Post count rising……...

i got a little winky guy, like this[emoji12]I'm just trying to explain why the question came up and not to lose patience [emoji111]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea,

Stick around..... As far as your friend.... Tell him to get his hands off your Fricken nobbs. As far as power. I currently run a 200 watt X 7 system only one pair of my speakers are rated to handle more than 100 continusly. I listen to everything from classical to rock..... I love my Montrose LOUD..... I think my ears give in before my Klipsch do...... But then again.. The average age of my Klipsch speakers is about 20 years old.... And I am almost 60. So maybe my ears are shot... I know my Chorus II's aren't.

G.E.M

Edited by oldred
  • Like 4

I didn't read through all of the posts but if your amp has an rms power of 125wpc that might be into an 8 ohm load. Your speakers might dip down to 4 ohms at lower frequencies, that is the problem. With a low impedance output amplifier you are now almost doubling the power to 250 watts!

in theory could I turn the volume to max without damaging anything

NO! As everyone here has mostly already said, there is no such thing as a meaningful "max." The VC isn't like a water faucet, with a pre-determined maximum outflow that all the other components could be designed to work with. If there was an industry standard for "max" (measured amplifier/receiver v. out), then you might be able to think of all-the-way-up as the reasonable "max" setting for that system. However, speaker efficiency is just one of the huge unknowns in this equation, probably makes an industry standard impossible.

Lacking such a standard, one receiver's max can take the amp and speaker output beyond the moon and blow everything out, while another's might not do that. Depending on speaker efficiency, too. The industry will tend to go too far rather than fall short.

With apologies for putting it this way, you are very unclear regarding just what "max" means. You would harm your setup if you took your concept seriously. Like blowing out all your woofers.

I am not planing on doing this, I ask questions because I don't know the answer(have to start somewhere) the reason I ask, after I hooked up my new sub and receiver I had a friend that wanted me to turn it up all the way, I said no because I have no idea what would happen, so I got thinking about it and thought this would be a good place to ask, thanks for your feedback, sorry for making u angry [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottom line is it is obvious your friend doesn't know anything about audio equipment if they want to turn it up all the way because they would know max is not a point on the dial or a number on the screen.  It is all relative to the output of your amps.  If your amps clip at 1/3 volume (some high gain equipment does this) then you are maxed out right there, at 1/3 volume per the knob or screen.  End of story.

Now the more wattage you have, the less likely you will be able to tolerate max volume because of your ears or distortion.  With a very large amp usually you will hear signs of distress when your speakers get to their MAX threshold.  Just listen for that and turn it down.  Lower wattage amplifiers may not sound in distress but may blow things up.

Edited by pzannucci
  • Like 1