Buy new or not

wife-said-no

I currently have the original RF-7 series.  They need new grills and some cosmetic driver issues.  i.e. the dust caps are pushed in and some of the cones are dented.  They sound fine, no distortion, no popping, nothing.  I was thinking about just fixing them but I was looking at the Klipsch website and it looks like they have been replaced with the RP-280 Dolby Atmos series.  I am curious which route is better, to stick with my RF-7s or to upgrade to the RP-280s?  Unfortunately, I live an hour away from the closest Klipsch dealer and they may not even have them on the show floor to listen to.

• Moderators
I was looking at the Klipsch website and it looks like they have been replaced with the RP-280 Dolby Atmos series.

No, the RP Series is not a replacement for the RF-7's.  The RF-83 replaced the original RF-7's and then the RF-83's were replaced by the current RF-7ii.  The RF-7ii are still in production and Klipsch has not stated they are being replaced as of yet.

I am curious which route is better, to stick with my RF-7s or to upgrade to the RP-280s?

I have not heard the RP Series but I would not think they would necessarily be an "Upgrade" to the RF-7's.  Dual 8" vs Dual 10" woofers.  1" tweeter vs 1.75" tweeter.  150/600 vs 250/1000 power handling. I believe The RP-280 is closer to an RF-82ii with an Atmos Speaker built into the top. 

• Like 2

ok, good to know.  The rf7-II aren't listed in the HT section anymore, just the floor standing section.  That's why I thought they were being replaced.  Not sure how hard it is to get replacement parts, I know a very long time ago, I looked at replacing a driver for my surround and they gave me a number to call.  I really like the way the RF7-II look compared to my RF7 but the sound may not be worth the money to swap them out.

• Moderators
ok, good to know. The rf7-II aren't listed in the HT section anymore, just the floor standing section. That's why I thought they were being replaced.

No problem, Chad has been redesigning the website.  Some things may have changed.

I really like the way the RF7-II look compared to my RF7 but the sound may not be worth the money to swap them out.

Take a look at my RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison Thread.  I posted a lot of photos showing size & appearance comparison as well as my thoughts on how they compare in sound.  They cost considerably more than what you could purchase a used pair of mint RF-7's for.  The only reason I have a pair right now is I found this Complete RF-7ii System Purchase (Best Deal of My Life).

They need new grills and some cosmetic driver issues. i.e. the dust caps are pushed in and some of the cones are dented

Fix them up......and this time keep them out of traffic....probable going to cost less than a grand to fix....better than a lot of things out there.

Drivers can be had....

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-rf7-k1089av-10-woofer/

G.E.M.

Edited by oldred

ok, good to know. The rf7-II aren't listed in the HT section anymore, just the floor standing section. That's why I thought they were being replaced.

No problem, Chad has been redesigning the website.  Some things may have changed.

I really like the way the RF7-II look compared to my RF7 but the sound may not be worth the money to swap them out.

Take a look at my RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison Thread.  I posted a lot of photos showing size & appearance comparison as well as my thoughts on how they compare in sound.  They cost considerably more than what you could purchase a used pair of mint RF-7's for.  The only reason I have a pair right now is I found this Complete RF-7ii System Purchase (Best Deal of My Life).

Not to be bitter, but that wasn't the best deal of your life, that was STEALING

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mark

• Moderators
Not to be bitter, but that wasn't the best deal of your life, that was STEALING

LOL....nah.  Stealing is when you take something that isn't yours.  I simply made an offer on something that wasn't mine and she gladly accepted.  She just wanted them out of her garage and I just happened to be the recipient of an incredible deal.  She knew her ex-husband paid a lot of money for that setup but she just wanted to wash her hands clean from him and his stuff and move on with her life.