Shopping new AV Receiver to replace Onkyo txsr805

dks5276

Ive read every review i can, whats your opinion on the best AV Receiver for around $1000

"Best" $1000.00 AVR is hard to define being opinions are so subjective.

Have you been happy with your TX-SR805?

Is Atmos and 4K a must have?

Are you planning on using your new AVR as a preamp/processor with an outboard amp/amps?

What is you room size?

What speakers are you going to drive with the AVR?

Bill

Ive read every review i can, whats your opinion on the best AV Receiver for around $1000

"Best" $1000.00 AVR is hard to define being opinions are so subjective.

Have you been happy with your TX-SR805?

Is Atmos and 4K a must have?

Are you planning on using your new AVR as a preamp/processor with an outboard amp/amps?

What is you room size?

What speakers are you going to drive with the AVR?

Bill

im very happy with the 805, no atmos and 4k is not a must have at all, i plan on running an amp in the future but dont have one at the moment, ive just had the itch for something new, im in an open basement approx 600-800 sq ft...

im running all klipsch speakers

fronts rf83, rears rf82, rc64 center, r-115sw sub (on its way, just Purchased)

Edited by dks5276

im very happy with the 805, no atmos and 4k is not a must have at all, i plan on running an amp in the future but dont have one at the moment, ive just had the itch for something new

Since you have been so pleased with your Onkyo 805, look for a flagship(or near flagship) Onkyo or Integra that has Audyssey MultEQ XT-32 instead of the Onkyo proprietary AccuEQ.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr704/integra-dtr-70.4-thx-9.2-140-watt-network-a/v-receiver-sale-reduced-100/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr605/integra-dtr-60.5-thx-9.2-135wpc-wi-fi/bluetooth-receiver-like-tx-nr929-sale-reduced-100/1.html#!more

Bill

• Like 1

im very happy with the 805, no atmos and 4k is not a must have at all, i plan on running an amp in the future but dont have one at the moment, ive just had the itch for something new

Since you have been so pleased with your Onkyo 805, look for a flagship(or near flagship) Onkyo or Integra that has Audyssey MultEQ XT-32 instead of the Onkyo proprietary AccuEQ.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr704/integra-dtr-70.4-thx-9.2-140-watt-network-a/v-receiver-sale-reduced-100/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr605/integra-dtr-60.5-thx-9.2-135wpc-wi-fi/bluetooth-receiver-like-tx-nr929-sale-reduced-100/1.html#!more

Bill

i have been shopping Integras (onkyos) better half, not too many used ones fro sale so i take that as a good thing....i really appreciate your help ;-)

I own an 805 and it still runs like a champ. Personally unless you need some new feature you don't have I'd rock it till it's no longer kickin. 805 is a dang good receiver.

the only issue ive had with it is a humming from my sub that i eliminated with a ground loop isolator but afraid its a sign of things t come

I own an 805 and it still runs like a champ. Personally unless you need some new feature you don't have I'd rock it till it's no longer kickin. 805 is a dang good receiver.

the only issue ive had with it is a humming from my sub that i eliminated with a ground loop isolator but afraid its a sign of things t come
sounds like a sub issue to me.

sounds like a sub issue to me.

i will soon find out when i get my new sub in r-115sw ;-)...but if it is my sub, what should i look for?

Edited by dks5276

What sub do you currently have?

AAD by phil Jones M series m-10s. i got it free a long time ago when i bought a tv from ultimate electronics, its been very impressive, only reason I havent replaced it until now

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-586087808-subwoofer-activo-aad-m10s-110w-imperdible-unico-en-mercado-_JM

Edited by dks5276

maybe i just need to add an amp, im getting the itch for more power so maybe a new receiver isnt needed....?

More power is not going to make your speakers sound any better, louder maybe, but only slightly.  I would get another AVR if there were some listening mode you felt you wanted, such as Atmos, or if you had 5.1 and wanted 7.1, that sort of thing.

ALL of us here can identify with having that itch, though.  B)

More power is not going to make your speakers sound any better, louder maybe, but only slightly. 

Not totally true.

Adding a 200w/ch B&K 3-channel amp to my RF-63/RC-64 rig was very noticeable especially in the midrange.  Replaced the B&K's with my current Acurus amps and the grip they have on the midbass and the detail in the midrange is incredible.

Again, the Onkyo TX-SR805 is a beast that was way overbuilt for it's price point.

Bill

Not totally true.   Adding a 200w/ch B&K 3-channel amp to my RF-63/RC-64 rig was very noticeable especially in the midrange.  

Bill,

Please help me understand.  Specifically, are you saying that a 200w/ch amp is likely to help ANY signal quality, regardless of volume level?  -40, -30, -20, for instance?

Or, are you saying that AT REFERENCE LEVEL that the additional power will be a pronounced improvement (vs reference level without the amp)? 

I ask because I continue to try to understand what I am "missing".  I have a large ft3 area, a 140wpc Yamaha driving supposedly "power hungry" speakers (5.1).  I have read, and been advised numerous times by people whom I acknowledge are far more informed than I am, that I need a 200wpc amp at a minimum to get things to "open up", and to drive the speakers properly without distortion.

And yet, when I had a good friend over (who knows his stuff) last week, we experimented a bit with the volume and settings.  The AVR seemed to drive things superbly--at levels that would have had me doing my Manuel Noriega imitation, running out of the house, hands up, surrendering to the torture police, and thrilling the psyops warfare people.

Understand that my ignorance may account, in part, for my bliss, but am willing to trade some of it for better "understanding".  Thanks!

Edited by JiminSTL

Not totally true. Adding a 200w/ch B&K 3-channel amp to my RF-63/RC-64 rig was very noticeable especially in the midrange.

Bill,

Please help me understand. Specifically, are you saying that a 200w/ch amp is likely to help ANY signal quality, regardless of volume level? -40, -30, -20, for instance?

Or, are you saying that AT REFERENCE LEVEL that the additional power will be a pronounced improvement (vs reference level without the amp)?

I ask because I continue to try to understand what I am "missing". I have a large ft3 area, a 140wpc Yamaha driving supposedly "power hungry" speakers (5.1). I have read, and been advised numerous times by people whom I acknowledge are far more informed than I am, that I need a 200wpc amp at a minimum to get things to "open up", and to drive the speakers properly without distortion.

And yet, when I had a good friend over (who knows his stuff) last week, we experimented a bit with the volume and settings. The AVR seemed to drive things superbly--at levels that would have had me doing my Manuel Noriega imitation, running out of the house, hands up, surrendering to the torture police, and thrilling the psyops warfare people.

Understand that my ignorance may account, in part, for my bliss, but am willing to trade some of it for better "understanding". Thanks!

i sent you a text

Bill, Please help me understand. Specifically, are you saying that a 200w/ch amp is likely to help ANY signal quality, regardless of volume level? -40, -30, -20, for instance?

I am saying my experience is better separation, more detail, and definitely better grip and punch in the bass and midbass dept.  Low, medium, and high volumes.

Now when I added the B&K to my Onkyo TX-SR705 is where I got the most improvement.  When I swapped from the B&K's to the Acurus amps I got even more detail(warmish amp to neutral amp) and better bass drive.  My buddy who did not know I swapped out amps was the first to clearly notice the difference.

Bill