Downfiring Tuba home theater (THTLP)

jason str

So not to muck up another thread.

After discussing the Tuba home theater yesterday it reminded me to start my own one off version of the long style THT.

It will be a downfiring version, final size will be 90" high x 21" wide x 18" deep. Great use of floorspace.

After lunch i drew up the model & started with the sawdust.

Cut up a bunch of panels and glued a few up.

post-28570-0-79180000-1448844208_thumb.jpost-28570-0-85620000-1448844236_thumb.j

More work done today, pictures coming soon.

• Like 2

Clamping method perfected, bucket of gravel, big bag of salt & battery for good measure.

Redneck builds are the best.  I tend to use concrete blocks and dumbbells.  

Nothing to clamp to building this section, the weight takes the warps out of the 1/2" plywood and assures the braces are secured properly.

I Cut up tons of panels last night, looked inside my new driver box to find out the T/S parameters were listed improperly on the Sonic electronics websight.

RE-Audio REX12s4

That is not the right price either, just click bait for the websight.

Turns out the QTS is way too high, Listed is 38 QTS when its actually 72. Way too high.

VAS listed @ 182 Liters is actually 69.82 too low for the THT.

BL is off as well.

Good think i looked over the owners manual and found the discrepancy in the specs though after i made the motorboard & spacer for the dam thing.

Ordering the Dayton RSS390HF-4 so i can finish the build, i was saving for new woofers for the Heresy build but now that project will have to wait a while longer as i can't have this big cabinet taking space in the workshop area.

A few more pictures to look at while the driver situation is worked on.

post-28570-0-72940000-1448981410_thumb.j post-28570-0-44940000-1448981429_thumb.j

This is junk.

post-28570-0-68700000-1449002828_thumb.j

Just sell this i guess, new but its been sitting for some time.

Edited by jason str

Is it possible to convert the Tuba HT design so the exit is at the side instead of the end?  That would mean one more bend but in my application I have a 6 foot height limit so I'd have no room left for legs.  Looking at the drawing I don't really see how but I'm hopeful there might be some ideas.

Is it possible to convert the Tuba HT design so the exit is at the side instead of the end?  

It would need to be redesigned.

That would mean one more bend but in my application I have a 6 foot height limit so I'd have no room left for legs.  Looking at the drawing I don't really see how but I'm hopeful there might be some ideas.

With a 6 foot height limit go with a Table Tuba, 5 Ft horn & 1 Ft boundry. The eight is great but use a 10" version or double 8 for plenty of headroom even in large rooms.

Edited by jason str

Are you mounting the legs to some type of baseplate? (like SVS)

I thought about that, my first plan was to do something like what is on the David.

But with this kind of output it would just flop around so decided to just do legs.

New Dayton should be here on Tuesday, i got as far as i could on the build without it so now its just a wait.

Here is where I'm at.

post-28570-0-58460000-1449347067_thumb.j   post-28570-0-06300000-1449347081_thumb.j

All the panels are cut and dry fitted besides some braces for the driver chamber.

Waiting until i measure for interference with the motorboard, spacer & new driver before i cut any of those.

Think i will finish it with some 1/4" oak plywood to match most of the other speakers.