How old is your daily driver?

Arrow#422

Only brand I've ever heard a mechanic type of person voluntarily buy for their own use is Toyota, especially when it comes to cars.  Apparently all their stuff is engineered in such a way that when there is an issue, it's an easy-ish fix instead of being catastrophic.  Example being Ford Probes, having to literally unbolt some of the engine mounts and tilt the entire engine forward just to get to the back 3 spark plugs.  It seems that small cars are getting bad about this, but supposedly Toyota never does stupid stuff like that.  

Just got back from having a new AGM battery installed... now I just need shocks, a new back door, fix the transmission, possibly new transfer case, brake controller, and some new tires.   ;)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Only brand I've ever heard a mechanic type of person voluntarily buy for their own use is Toyota, especially when it comes to cars.  Apparently all their stuff is engineered in such a way that when there is an issue, it's an easy-ish fix instead of being catastrophic.  Example being Ford Probes, having to literally unbolt some of the engine mounts and tilt the entire engine forward just to get to the back 3 spark plugs.  It seems that small cars are getting bad about this, but supposedly Toyota never does stupid stuff like that.  

Just got back from having a new AGM battery installed... now I just need shocks, a new back door, fix the transmission, possibly new transfer case, brake controller, and some new tires.   ;)

Its not as bad as that but Subaru Boxxer flat 4 engines are a PITA to do the spark plugs on. I have a 2006Impreza 2.5i with about 150K miles on it and its run great except for the head gasket thing that every Subaru owner goes though. My Wife has a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder with 180K miles and that thing runs like the day it pulled out of the lot as far as the engine goes. The notorious "death wobbles" on the freeway is a different story though. It does have real 4-low and a limited slip diff which is nice for trails so we usually just use it for camping.

It seems that small cars are getting bad about this,

You have no idea.

You got that right Carl......

Metro.....there are few Toyota fubar's out there....many many years ago I took a job at a Toyota shop that wanted to branch into the Honda line. Until the Honds's started coming in I worked on all the Toyota stuff...a lot of it was great...but the old mid 80's Toyota vans.... I told the owner he could work on those... I would not work on them

Now I loved the Landcruiser's.....I did most of the Landcruiser work....I owned a couple...

MKP :-)

Saw this thread yesterday, so i went out and finished the Dodge 3500 today.

Brake job, right rear, took a week.   well i work an hour and take two days off, fk it, im retired, if im not fetchin speakers from god knows where, i do not have much reason to drive anywhere.

• Like 1

Now I loved the Landcruiser's

Back in the day I worked at a Toyota store.  We called them Landcrushers.

In the late 1970's I bought a 1977 Toyota LandCruiser FJ40 for hunting use. It looked good. On the road it got 10MPG. Off road it got 10MPG. Drifting in space it would probably get 10MPG. Off road it did good until you got in mud, then it sank like a boat anchor. After a couple years I was on the way home from a hunting trip and noticed an old VW Bettle in a sage pasture. I stopped and asked the guy if he wanted to sell it. I bought it and added a Baja kit, engine work, transaxle work, tube bumpers w/skid plates, paint, big tires and lots more. It would go where a farm tractor wouldn't. I sold the LandSinker and never considered buying another rice-rocket. 

Keith

• Like 1

I greatly appreciate all of your replies on this topic because, quite frankly, I thought the site was getting a bit dull.  That was the reason for starting this topic, and it has clearly opened up a friendly discussion without the need to debate any completely un-winnable argument(s).

Now I loved the Landcruiser's

Back in the day I worked at a Toyota store.  We called them Landcrushers.

In the late 1970's I bought a 1977 Toyota LandCruiser FJ40 for hunting use. It looked good. On the road it got 10MPG. Off road it got 10MPG. Drifting in space it would probably get 10MPG. Off road it did good until you got in mud, then it sank like a boat anchor. After a couple years I was on the way home from a hunting trip and noticed an old VW Bettle in a sage pasture. I stopped and asked the guy if he wanted to sell it. I bought it and added a Baja kit, engine work, transaxle work, tube bumpers w/skid plates, paint, big tires and lots more. It would go where a farm tractor wouldn't. I sold the LandSinker and never considered buying another rice-rocket. 

Keith

Yea Carl... the guys with the jeeps in my old 4x4 club would say... here comes mark with his Landcrusher..lol lol

I have owed over 20 FJ-40's.... wheeled them hard.... at one point that's all we drove... my wife had her 77

fj-40 with 35's I had my 77 fj-40 with 34's and the family wagon was a 86 FJ-60..... I have sold most all of my Cruiser's... still have the FJ-60 behind the shop.... but the Cruiser I really want to get on the road is my 67 FJ-45 pick-up...

But now I play with some old Suzuki Samurai's... there fun

MKP :-)

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

97 Merc Grand Marquis rolled 150K on Thanksgiving on the way to Mom's house.

It was her car and she gave it to me 10 years ago w/ 20K on it.

Took it from Illinoyed to Colorado a month ago and drifted it around some back country mountain roads - nothing like the torque of a V-8 and rear wheel drive for fun.

Oil, tires, brakes, a couple of rusted out brake lines, Bilsteins and exhaust, manifold to mufflers is all it's ever required.

It's so good that this summer I picked up another to have in reserve. 2010 Crown Vic Police Interceptor w/ 126K, spent its life w/ one Illinois State Trooper. So nice it's not going out in the winter salt.

I'll be the guy we hate to meet on the highway. Creeps me out just seeing it parked out back.

post-33164-0-58820000-1449029556_thumb.p

• Like 1

I thought they qualify- They are both daily drivers.

Can't include my 1994 Park Avenue that was sold with 374k on the clock, Or the 88 Olds 88 Royale that I don't know actual mileage - odometer never worked while I owned it.

So I got a diesel so I could have a reliable daily driver & run her for 400k-500k if need be.... But then we moved and now I like 16 minutes from work... So will be trading in and buying something LESS practical for the commute.

• Like 1