You're On Facebook?

oldtimer

Is $45B a little or a lot? It's a good question. It's both. It's not enough to wage a war, but it's more by far than most venture capitalist funds, and more than most charitable trusts.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

The richest man in the world is the Mexican who owns the cell phone company, under #100 Billion I believe.

If the "Commodore", Cornelius Vanderbilt were alive today, his adjusted net worth would be north of $430 Billion, (a dyslexic moment) a time before property tax.

You think the wealthy are the enemy, and to a small extent that may be true, but the Government is what is really holding you down from a prosperous life style. 

Roger

Actually it's the IRS that is keeping you from prosperity. Why our government forces us to pay to employ people to collect taxes for a privately owned bank is beyond me. Sorry I didn't mean to get political.

I use facebook to bring cheer to my large harem of women friends Along with all my other friends. Also it can be amusing to see all the D-bags from my school days. 

• Like 1

Facebook

OK, I took a test drive with my wife's FB. it's not at all what I thought. It's much better. Sure, granny uses it to "keep up with the kids," but that's actually a minor and insignificant use. Same with gossip, and telling people which bottle of whiskey you drank this morning. All minor aspects.

What it does is integrate the internet on one beautiful screen, especially mobile screens. It's better than a browser by a mile for aggregating all the internet content that comes perfectly shaped and scaled on small mobile screens.

By selecting, of say searching, an interest, you can get stories, tweets, videos, pictures, and other content in full without leaving the app. No more pinching, squeezing, resizing screens as you go from one source to another. FB tames, organized, and beautifies unruly disparate content into a manageable form. In short, I would say it's what the browser never figured out what to do.

The good news is that you can quickly assemble all your varied interests in one place. The bad news is that all of that interest is communicated to the Mothership, which might be black or might be white, depending on your level of paranoia. Verdict is still out for me.

One thing is for sure, FB is at the bleeding edge of mobile. This is THE platform for tablets and phones. Everything looks right.

I might even sign up. It would save me lots of time in keeping up with my interests.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Regarding the question of billionaires giving away their money. I think this guy dissects it far better than I could have done. 

Exact phrasing: the stock, currently worth $45 billion, will be donated “during [he and his wife’s] lives.” He’s 31 and she’s 30, so actuarial tables being what they are, by approximately the year 2065.

If Facebook or the Internet or the earth still exist.

Whoop de doo.

I would be far more impressed if Facebook would put some money into the American economy. How? By hiring more workers — a lot more workers. Facebook’s market cap is $300 billion — almost ten times more than GM. GM has 216,000 employees. I’m not sure Facebook could find work for 2 million workers — but 12,000 is pathetic. They might start by hiring a few thousand 24-7 customer service reps so they could respond quickly when some antisocial pigposts your nude photo.

The part of the “ain’t Zuck nice” philanthropist suck-uppery thatreally has me annoyed is the “charity” bit.

.....and so much more. 

Facebook

OK, I took a test drive with my wife's FB. it's not at all what I thought. It's much better. Sure, granny uses it to "keep up with the kids," but that's actually a minor and insignificant use. Same with gossip, and telling people which bottle of whiskey you drank this morning. All minor aspects.

What it does is integrate the internet on one beautiful screen, especially mobile screens. It's better than a browser by a mile for aggregating all the internet content that comes perfectly shaped and scaled on small mobile screens.

By selecting, of say searching, an interest, you can get stories, tweets, videos, pictures, and other content in full without leaving the app. No more pinching, squeezing, resizing screens as you go from one source to another. FB tames, organized, and beautifies unruly disparate content into a manageable form. In short, I would say it's what the browser never figured out what to do.

The good news is that you can quickly assemble all your varied interests in one place. The bad news is that all of that interest is communicated to the Mothership, which might be black or might be white, depending on your level of paranoia. Verdict is still out for me.

One thing is for sure, FB is at the bleeding edge of mobile. This is THE platform for tablets and phones. Everything looks right.

I might even sign up. It would save me lots of time in keeping up with my interests.

Interesting conclusion, but I have to agree with you in that it offers (at this time) the best (most comprehensive & convenient) means to access content over mobile devices.  

I hadn't considered it, nor compared it to, a browser………… until now.

Just logged in after about 8 months. I just can't attempt to keep up with that many people that I haven't seen or spoken to in so long. I did find the guy that was the best man in my first wedding, many years ago, so I'll touch base with him and catch up, so that's cool!

Just logged in after about 8 months. I just can't attempt to keep up with that many people that I haven't seen or spoken to in so long. I did find the guy that was the best man in my first wedding, many years ago, so I'll touch base with him and catch up, so that's cool!

Welcome back Pete H

I must ask WHY?

My experience shows that after so many years both parties usually have little in common and have basically moved on.

If that is the case, a contact now would only serve to offer 1 last stroll down memory lane.

But then again, it may offer needed closure.

:(

Welcome back Pete H

I must ask WHY?

My experience shows that after so many years both parties usually have little in common and have basically moved on.

If that is the case, a contact now would only serve to offer 1 last stroll down memory lane.

Welcome back Pete H

I must ask WHY?

No closure needed. We end up connecting every 5 years or so, the last time was bidding on a Saba receiver on e-bay that we both figured out that it had to be the other one that they were bidding against, it was kinda funny. We'll get caught up on the major events with a phone call and then go back to our daily lives until we connect again.

Facebook 2

I've done a lot more poking around, and I like it even more than earlier. I have a lot of varied interests and using browsers trying to go to all those bizarre unruly web sites is a pain. FB totally streamlines the process and saves a lot of time.

Admittedly, I have no intention of gathering gossip circles and posting my lunch, and all that crap. But I do see it as a custom magazine I can build and read easily with all the stiff that interests me.

Jim Cramer has been saying about FB, "this is how people consume media today," and I can now see what he meant. He thinks it is helping to kill cable.

I'll probably sign up.

• Like 1

I have a business page out there. I can't post everything I'm thinking here, and it's a pain to continually modify my webpage. I do all of my whining and bitching out there, and man have you guys missed out.

Alethea (or however you spell it) the crossover builder has a FB page too. I used to check it out back when I was needing crossovers.

It's a good way to keep track of family too, especially if you have a big one, with a lot of kids like I do. I'm frankly kind of surprised by the lack of involvement from this group. Does anyone here ever look at my business site - yeah, consider it a poll of sorts, I'm curious.

Clicking on the middle link, I get "sorry but we are unable to find this website."  It needs the http:// to work.

I think it just needs another "a." One for the end of Aletheia, and one more for the beginning of audio...

That was the first thing I checked.  The spelling appears to be correct.