You're On Facebook?

oldtimer

FB is fast becoming the largest media company in the world. It has more users than anyone else, and already 30% of those users get their news from FB. They own the mobile space. And the average user spends 55 minutes a day on that platform.

It is fast becoming the most essential medium for companies. More important than mere web site. Facebook is now going to offer native news content from all the leading newspapers direct within the FB mobile environment.

It long ago left "social networking" behind. It's market cap is already greater than WalMart.

I've never used it. But I probably will in the future.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I absolutely hate Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg. All these people with vast amounts of money say they give it away but where does it show up? With just his fortune alone he could single handedly change either the healthcare system or the educational system, then there is our countries infrastructure. Actually with 45 billion dollars I am almost certain he could single handedly improve all three. If you think about it, if him, BIll Gates, and a few other of the ultra rich each chipped in they could make this country absolutely amazing and still have enough money left over to keep them and their children filthy rich for a long time.

I can't stand when you search for these billionaires on google that's it's no coincidence that their charity involvement are the first to come up, yet in all my travels across this country I still see failing infrastructure and far more poverty than I care to.

I would like to tweet his severed head on a spike.

• Like 1

I absolutely hate Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg. All these people with vast amounts of money say they give it away but where does it show up? With just his fortune alone he could single handedly change either the healthcare system or the educational system, then there is our countries infrastructure. Actually with 45 billion dollars I am almost certain he could single handedly improve all three. If you think about it, if him, BIll Gates, and a few other of the ultra rich each chipped in they could make this country absolutely amazing and still have enough money left over to keep them and their children filthy rich for a long time.

I can't stand when you search for these billionaires on google that's it's no coincidence that their charity involvement are the first to come up, yet in all my travels across this country I still see failing infrastructure and far more poverty than I care to.

Hear! Hear!

For example. When Gates first announced in 1999 he was giving his money away, he had about $38B. Now he was $59B! He is making money faster than giving it away. With any luck, he will give away his whole fortune and have a mere $100B left over! <---that's a joke. 

The trick for all of these guys is that they do not not put the money in a public trust, they put it in private trusts. So, "giving it away" is essentially a simple lie, but the press never bothers with that. So, in fact what happens, is that the private trust selects very narrow interests, which may have nothing at all to do with the public need, or even public interest. This is the ultimate expression of authoritarianism, and it mirrors the feudal age. 

• Like 1

I agree completely.

Seriously even if it was going to charity I still think it's the wrong way of going about it. I had that amount of scratch laying around I wouldn't even focus on profit. Let's start with infrastructure. Instead of "giving" away $15Bn to "charity" build a national company with it's main focus on rebuilding roads and bridges etc...Our own people of this country in need of jobs can then work and earn a living wage doing something worthwhile. At the end of the day it helps you sleep good at night knowing you put in a hard days work and earned your paycheck doing something positive. That's what our country needs, goals. So that will kill so many birds with one stone; It makes the rich feel good by giving to charity, it gives people jobs that earn them a liveable wage, and our countries infrastructure is all the better :) Win, Win, Win!

Again, if I was a billionaire I would probably do something crazy like try and manufacture cell phones here in the USA. That's right you heard me. I would buy Detroit, set up shop and start making the best phones in the world. And don't tell me they would then cost $1000ea because that's just rubbish, they cost what you charge..........Remember the charity part? The first few years would be all loss (out of my pocket) but over time I am certain there would be profits to be made, or hell just break even. Is it really that hard to compete or have we just completely given up?

Edited by xxJPMxx

For teens it's just another method to bully someone, as if they actually needed another way.  God forbid you post something about someone and they forget to like it.  I've never seen so much inane content in my life.  The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Idle gossip is never good and that is what most use it for. It is ridiculous to me, the people I see walking around with their phone in there hand staring at the screen. I saw a wreck a few years back where the SUV rolled a few times and the occupant was thrown out the window with the phone still in her hand.

If I saw that, I would have taken a pic and put it on my facebook.........................

MKP :-)

I got rid of Facebook a long time ago and have never looked back. If I want to share photos I just send them to dropbox then give my family the link. It was funny when I deleted it some of my buddies called me freaking out thinking I died. Besides, who really wants a permanent photo record of all the stupid **** they did in College for future employers etc to rifle through.

This pretty much sums it up:

Edited by twk123
  • Like 2

You don't understand big numbers do you?

$45 Billion? not even a drop in the bucket!

Try over $18 trillion in debt, there is 1,000 Billion in a Trillion, that is over $18,000 Billion in debt, and you think $45 Billion is going to make a dent in the infrastructure or the economy?

If you have $18,000 dollars in your pocket and loose $45, is it going to crimp your style???

Exactly what percentage of your net profit are you spending on charity??

It is really easy to point fingers isn't it? But what charitable donations are you making?

Roger

• Like 3

I agree completely.

Seriously even if it was going to charity I still think it's the wrong way of going about it. I had that amount of scratch laying around I wouldn't even focus on profit. Let's start with infrastructure. Instead of "giving" away $15Bn to "charity" build a national company with it's main focus on rebuilding roads and bridges etc...Our own people of this country in need of jobs can then work and earn a living wage doing something worthwhile. At the end of the day it helps you sleep good at night knowing you put in a hard days work and earned your paycheck doing something positive. That's what our country needs, goals. So that will kill so many birds with one stone; It makes the rich feel good by giving to charity, it gives people jobs that earn them a liveable wage, and our countries infrastructure is all the better :) Win, Win, Win!

Again, if I was a billionaire I would probably do something crazy like try and manufacture cell phones here in the USA. That's right you heard me. I would buy Detroit, set up shop and start making the best phones in the world. And don't tell me they would then cost $1000ea because that's just rubbish, they cost what you charge..........Remember the charity part? The first few years would be all loss (out of my pocket) but over time I am certain there would be profits to be made, or hell just break even. Is it really that hard to compete or have we just completely given up?

Have you been to Detroit lately???? Most of the working class moved out long ago! Plus the thing you don't understand about that $100 phone is it is not the high cost of labor driving that price as it is the hidden tax in this country. The average citizen works for the first 6 months of the year for the government because of all the hidden taxes. How else do you think a mere 310,000,000 people come up with Trillions of dollars to run this country?

Roger

• Like 1

Try over $18 trillion in debt, there is 1,000 Billion in a Trillion, that is over $18,000 Billion in debt, and you think $45 Billion is going to make a dent in the infrastructure or the economy?

....The average citizen works for the first 6 months of the year for the government because of all the hidden taxes. How else do you think a mere 310,000,000 people come up with Trillions of dollars to run this country?

Roger

If that's the case, I think this discussion should be about Taxes and not Charity...Charity is not going to erase National Debt.

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

You don't understand big numbers do you? $45 Billion? not even a drop in the bucket! Try over $18 trillion in debt, there is 1,000 Billion in a Trillion, that is over $18,000 Billion in debt, and you think $45 Billion is going to make a dent in the infrastructure or the economy?

I am not saying pay off the "national debt" so maybe learn to read before typing. I am talking about starting a company to either fix roads and bridges or make cell phones. Reading comprehension is key my friend ;)

I am fairly certain if you wanted to produce cell phones in this country $40 billion dollars would be enough.

• Like 1

I work in development.  If they gave it all away, $100 Billion would be a drop in the bucket for what you want done.  A fast food restaurant or a Starbucks cost a few million.  An office building is $25M for something that is relatively modest.   A mile of road in the middle of nowhere is $3M to $5m.  A bridge is $100M. 

I work with very wealthy people and see them give a lot of money away. 

• Like 3

Plus the thing you don't understand about that $100 [EDIT: He said $1,000] phone is it is not the high cost of labor driving that price as it is the hidden tax in this country.

Assuming you meant $1000 phone, what's the hidden tax that causes that? I've been under the impression the prices was influenced by Apple's 45% margins.

You don't understand big numbers do you? $45 Billion? not even a drop in the bucket! Try over $18 trillion in debt, there is 1,000 Billion in a Trillion, that is over $18,000 Billion in debt, and you think $45 Billion is going to make a dent in the infrastructure or the economy?

I am not saying pay off the "national debt" so maybe learn to read before typing. I am talking about starting a company to either fix roads and bridges or make cell phones. Reading comprehension is key my friend ;)

I am fairly certain if you wanted to produce cell phones in this country $40 billion dollars would be enough.

Yeah, how did "debt" get into this? Read, read, read, read, folks!

Getting back on topic!

I get my news at least 2 or 3 days before it hits the TV or the Paper, and as long as you are willing to research what you are reading is true, you will learn a heck of a lot that censored and biased media will not report!

Yes, it is a terrific place to stay in touch with and find old lost friends, have run across many.

I have several long distance friends that we extremely regularly check in with one another.

I belong to several great groups that cover my various interests: "The HORN Loudspeaker Forum", "Vintage Audio", "The Nakamichi Group", "Silver Faced Pioneer"," The V-Max group" and several others! Some of these groups are closed and you have to be invited in, and it keeps a lot of the BS from going on :)

AND, as previously stated, many ideas, and friendships are enjoyed on this format if you know how to use it :)

Roger

I'll believe it when you make your first Billion, have you even netted a Million yet?

As far as insulting the intellect thing, you may want to ask around, as your gun is not loaded my friend :)

Roger

As far as insulting the intellect thing, you may want to ask around, as your gun is not loaded my friend

That sounds like the kind of thing you'd read on facebook.  I guess I should have stepped in after the intellect comment.  Oh well, I'm stepping in now.  Play nice guys.

• Like 4

Plus the thing you don't understand about that $100 [EDIT: He said $1,000] phone is it is not the high cost of labor driving that price as it is the hidden tax in this country.

Assuming you meant $1000 phone, what's the hidden tax that causes that? I've been under the impression the prices was influenced by Apple's 45% margins.

No, you are correct, a typo and meant $100.

As for hidden taxes, take the idea of a simple writing pen. The company that makes those pens pays their workers AND those workers taxes. That company pays taxes on their profits, and the building they own and their machinery albeit on a depreciating scale. Now that pen company didn't make the gel grip, they sourced that out, and the grip makers had to pay all of those same taxes we just talked about to produce their product. That pen has a plastic body and plastic tube filled with ink. The pen manufacturer probably molded the body, but they outsource the cartridge to another company that has to pay all of those same taxes previously listed to make there product, and the pen manufacturer who formed the pen body has to buy their plastic from someone who makes plastic and the cartridge company has to buy the plastic from a manufacturer to make their cylinder cartridges and all these companies have to pay tax on all the afore mentioned things. Then their is the company who makes the springs, the company that makes the steal to make the spring, the company that mines the iron, the company that that makes the coke to heat the furnaces, the electric companies that provide power to all of these companies are taxed, the ink company pays all of those taxes, the miners who get the minerals for color and the chemical companies pay all of those taxes. ALL of these companies have to pay their employees enough to pay all of their workers taxes for all the taxes we normally think about such as food, gasoline, heat, property, automobile, license plates, and if you die, your benificeries get to pay an inheritance tax for the things you worked for and paid tax on all of your life. But think of all the hidden taxes that that all add up to the sale price of that new pan, and we never even addressed packaging involved taxes or advertising involved taxes, or shipping taxes or marketing taxes.... Do you begin to get it yet?

Roger

As far as insulting the intellect thing, you may want to ask around, as your gun is not loaded my friend

That sounds like the kind of thing you'd read on facebook.  I guess I should have stepped in after the intellect comment.  Oh well, I'm stepping in now.  Play nice guys.

The bolded line was quite funny---Insofar as gun analogies go....My guess is there would be a lot more carnage if Facebook foes were having discussions in person. Seriously, folks get so riled up that one of the reasons I'm not on Facebook is....{Edited for fear of getting political or shot :ph34r: } 

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1