You're On Facebook?

oldtimer

The bolded line was quite funny---

Was meant to be.

....My guess is there would be a lot more carnage if Facebook foes were having discussions in person.

Most discussions would be different if conducted in person.  Cojones increase in size exponentially as anonymity increases. 

• Like 3

You don't understand big numbers do you? $45 Billion? not even a drop in the bucket! Try over $18 trillion in debt, there is 1,000 Billion in a Trillion, that is over $18,000 Billion in debt, and you think $45 Billion is going to make a dent in the infrastructure or the economy?

I am not saying pay off the "national debt" so maybe learn to read before typing. I am talking about starting a company to either fix roads and bridges or make cell phones. Reading comprehension is key my friend ;)

I am fairly certain if you wanted to produce cell phones in this country $40 billion dollars would be enough.

Yeah, how did "debt" get into this? Read, read, read, read, folks!

Read, Read, Read??? 

It was discussed that this $45 Billion dollar venture could have an improved impact on the infrastructure!

With the national debt involved there is no possible way that one would see a noticeable improvement.

As someone already stated that they deal with a lot of wealthy clients, I have some friends in the 8 and 9 figure bracket and I don't see a comprehension of large numbers going on here :)

Roger

Most discussions would be different if conducted in person. Cojones increase in size exponentially as anonymity increases.

Yep. I don't say anything online that I wouldn't say in person as long as I am having a discussion with a person I know isn't packin'.

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 2

Is $45B a little or a lot? It's a good question. It's both. It's not enough to wage a war, but it's more by far than most venture capitalist funds, and more than most charitable trusts.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

The richest man in the world is the Mexican who owns the cell phone company, under #100 Billion I believe.

If the "Commodore", Cornelius Vanderbilt were alive today, his adjusted net worth would be north of $430 Billion, (a dyslexic moment) a time before property tax.

You think the wealthy are the enemy, and to a small extent that may be true, but the Government is what is really holding you down from a prosperous life style. 

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 2

Most discussions would be different if conducted in person. Cojones increase in size exponentially as anonymity increases.

Yep. I don't say anything online that I wouldn't say in person as long as I am having a discussion with a person I know isn't packin'.

I am packin' even when I'm not.

• Like 1

With the national debt involved there is no possible way that one would see a noticeable improvement

It's not involved so why do you keep bringing it up?

As someone already stated that they deal with a lot of wealthy clients, I have some friends in the 8 and 9 figure bracket and I don't see a comprehension of large numbers going on here

So please enlighten us? How did your wealthy friends succeed if $45 billion isn't enough for a business venture? They must have started out with a serious advantage ;) What are you saying about their success? You can't succeed and pay taxes at the same time? If taxes are the problem then the system is set up wrong and clearly favors people with >$45 billion to start a business. All you people are the same, you make it sound like it's so easy to succeed and make a fortune in the land of the "free" but when it comes to doing some good it's real easy to say no it's too hard and can't be done without trillions of dollars. That's the pi$$ poor attitude that got our country messed up to begin with.

With the national debt involved there is no possible way that one would see a noticeable improvement

It's not involved so why do you keep bringing it up?

As someone already stated that they deal with a lot of wealthy clients, I have some friends in the 8 and 9 figure bracket and I don't see a comprehension of large numbers going on here

So please enlighten us? How did your wealthy friends succeed if $45 billion isn't enough for a business venture? They must have started out with a serious advantage ;) What are you saying about their success? You can't succeed and pay taxes at the same time? If taxes are the problem then the system is set up wrong and clearly favors people with >$45 billion to start a business. All you people are the same, you make it sound like it's so easy to succeed and make a fortune in the land of the "free" but when it comes to doing some good it's real easy to say no it's too hard and can't be done without trillions of dollars. That's the pi$$ poor attitude that got our country messed up to begin with.

Neither of these two guys went beyond High school with their educations.

I already asked, but I will ask again, WHAT charitable donations, what part of your net income do you actually spend since you have all of these charitable ideas with money you don't have?

If Bill Gates only donates 5% of his net worth and you donate 10%, I'll say you are a great human being!

Christ did not say that only the rich should give but that all should tithe, and my 8 figure friend and his 7 figure son both tithe every week, so how about you?

Charity does not just Blossom in people after they become wealthy, if you don't do it when you are poor, then you wont do it if you make it!

Roger

Most discussions would be different if conducted in person.  Cojones increase in size exponentially as anonymity increases. 

nope. i have naturally large testicles in real life. 

Alright Michael,

YOU KNOW THE DRILL!!!

Pictures or it NEVER happened! :)

Rog

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

You don't understand big numbers do you? $45 Billion? not even a drop in the bucket! Try over $18 trillion in debt, there is 1,000 Billion in a Trillion, that is over $18,000 Billion in debt, and you think $45 Billion is going to make a dent in the infrastructure or the economy?

I am not saying pay off the "national debt" so maybe learn to read before typing. I am talking about starting a company to either fix roads and bridges or make cell phones. Reading comprehension is key my friend ;)

I am fairly certain if you wanted to produce cell phones in this country $40 billion dollars would be enough.

Yeah, how did "debt" get into this? Read, read, read, read, folks!

Read, Read, Read???

It was discussed that this $45 Billion dollar venture could have an improved impact on the infrastructure!

With the national debt involved there is no possible way that one would see a noticeable improvement.

As someone already stated that they deal with a lot of wealthy clients, I have some friends in the 8 and 9 figure bracket and I don't see a comprehension of large numbers going on here :)

Roger

He never said the national debt was involved.

nope. i have naturally large testicles in real life. 

Alright Michael,

YOU KNOW THE DRILL!!!

Pictures or it NEVER happened! :)

Rog

Reading this challange, i wish i would have eatin the Celery my wife offered me yesterday.

(She and i at the Time, did NOT know it was part of the massive E-Coli outbreak recall till this morning)

• Like 1

Is $45B a little or a lot? It's a good question. It's both. It's not enough to wage a war, but it's more by far than most venture capitalist funds, and more than most charitable trusts.

The richest man in the world is the Mexican who owns the cell phone company, under #100 Billion I believe.

If the "Commodore", Cornelius Vanderbilt were alive today, his adjusted net worth would be north of $430 Billion, (a dyslexic moment) a time before property tax.

You think the wealthy are the enemy, and to a small extent that may be true, but the Government is what is really holding you down from a prosperous life style.

Roger

Not sure where any of that is coming from. I was following a discussion of how billionaires establish means it giving away their money.

Charity does not just Blossom in people after they become wealthy, if you don't do it when you are poor, then you wont do it if you make it!

I had to go back and look to see what this part of the discussion is about but, again, this is why I bring up the difference between Charity and Taxes--- insofar as the National Debt and Infrastructure repairs are concerned...How do you increase revenue to pay for those costs? Charity is when you cloth and feed the poor but the National Debt and infrastructure are covered by Taxes....

Of course, all of this is OT but it seems several of you are talking past each other and not really addressing the problem...Then again, a discussion on Charity probably won't shut down this thread but if we start talking about a Tax increase for the wealthy (or the poor) my guess this thread will go downhill fast.

• Like 1

As I sit in my cubicle in our company cube farm leading my middle class life...I think it a lot harsh to demonize some of these wealthy folks.

Many of these folks started with nothing but an idea in their parents basement/garage and turned it into a very successful business.  These business provide employment and benefits which support significant numbers of workers.  To me, if you can come up with the idea, see it through, take all of the big risks of failure, and then see it blossom...kudos.  Those folks deserve to reap the rewards of their labor.  It's easy to criticize from the peanut gallery what they do with their money...but neither you or I have taken the risks that they've taken nor have we come up with that valuable idea/process that they came up with. 

If we want to live in a communist society where everyone is capped at a certain level for every idea, see how much innovation that will lead to.  I didn't see Silicon Valley housed in the USSR/Cuba/N Korea/etc. 

You can also decry the "donation" of their wealth, but why don't you use Google and actually read about where some of it is going before you criticize.  Providing clean water to people in third world countries...I'd say that's a noble project.  Providing valuable funding for research to cure deadly diseases...I don't think that should be criticized.  If it's your money, spend it/donate it how you like, but don't criticize someone else for how they choose to donate their wealth...especially when you & I live in the richest country in the world...our poor are still richer than much of the world. 

Edited by kapsnb01
  • Like 4

Not sure where any of that is coming from. I was following a discussion of how billionaires establish means it giving away their money.

Wait--If they are having a problem with that then I have admittedly a selfish answer on where they could send it--I could find at least a million ways to spend it and the rest I would give to Charity after I paid the tax. Heck, I may even give a chunk of it to Charity first to establish good karma as well as fulfil my moral obligation. :)

• Like 1

As I sit in my cubicle in our company cube farm leading my middle class life...I think it a lot harsh to demonize some of these wealthy folks.

Many of these folks started with nothing but an idea in their parents basement/garage and turned it into a very successful business. These business provide employment and benefits which support significant numbers of workers. To me, if you can come up with the idea, see it through, take all of the big risks of failure, and then see it blossom...kudos. Those folks deserve to reap the rewards of their labor. It's easy to criticize from the peanut gallery what they do with their money...but neither you or I have taken the risks that they've taken nor have we come up with that valuable idea/process that they came up with.

If we want to live in a communist society where everyone is capped at a certain level for every idea, see how much innovation that will lead to. I didn't see Silicon Valley housed in the USSR/Cuba/N Korea/etc.

You can also decry the "donation" of their wealth, but why don't you use Google and actually read about where some of it is going before you criticize. Providing clean water to people in third world countries...I'd say that's a noble project. Providing valuable funding for research to cure deadly diseases...I don't think that should be criticized. If it's your money, spend it/donate it how you like, but don't criticize someone else for how they choose to donate their wealth...especially when you & I live in the richest country in the world...our poor are still richer than much of the world.

Actually, criticism and dissent are the cornerstone of an open and free society. Only self righteous dictators demand that they are above criticism.

Billionaires do not exist in a vacuum. They are a part of a larger community. Some in that community, like soldiers, even give their entire life so that billionaires can be free to make those billions. That's why we ask have the right of criticism.

Actually, criticism and dissent are the cornerstone of an open and free society. Only self righteous dictators demand that they are above criticism.

Billionaires do not exist in a vacuum. They are a part of a larger community. Some in that community, like soldiers, even give their entire life so that billionaires can be free to make those billions. That's why we ask have the right of criticism.

Criticism and dissent are indeed effective tools and rights of those in a free society, however, why is criticism warranted when someone is donating their wealth for good projects that help many?  That type of criticism becomes background noise.  How does it encourage others to donate their wealth when they'll be criticized anyway? 

• Like 1

Question

why is criticism warranted when someone is donating their wealth for good projects that help many?

Answer:

Criticism and dissent are indeed effective tools and rights of those in a free society

No one expects you to necessarily agree with any particular critique. You have the right to offer your own. I spelled out my specific criticism in a previous post. That's the whole idea behind the meaning of a free and open society.