You're On Facebook?

oldtimer

Thanks for catching those mistakes. So I learned one thing, no one goes to my website. The Facebook link works, and so far it looks like I have quite a few going out there.

A little depressing in a way, I kind of like my website. Oh well.

Thanks for catching those mistakes. So I learned one thing, no one goes to my website. The Facebook link works, and so far it looks like I have quite a few going out there.

A little depressing in a way, I kind of like my website. Oh well.

Part of what I've been discovering is that web site for small guys (not amazon) is old way, and FB is the new way to get attention. FWIW. I'm learning to really like the way FB works compared to browsers.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Nothing today competes with Facebook. That's my final conclusion. Not newspapers, not TV, not Google, not anything I can think of can do what FB does easily and painlessly, but at a price, of course. 

Facebook is nominally free. But of course they make hundreds of billions of dollars. Advertisers are willing to pay handsomly to have a shot at your eyeballs, and so the cost to you is that you rent out your personality. No doubt, I can see the downsides to this exchange. But, the upside is substantial, especially for curious people with lots of interests. I can aggregate all my varied interests in a matter of minutes, and then enjoy one smooth, seamless, consistent flow of content that would for me normally involve public libraries, newspapers, TV, and the old fashioned idea of "web surfing" - which is surely going to die very soon. In addition to the aggregation, which I can certainly choose to do in a silo, I can exchange communications with others of the same interest. All that, and I can say "Merry Christmas" to dad as well. 

The programming is superlative if we compare it to other software giants and other large code projects. It's miles superior to "browsers" which now look like antiques to me. It's far superior to the ludicrously stupid "GUI" of Windows and OS/X. Now, if they can just avoid "mission creep" and keep this thing simple! 

The double edged sword is privacy. We are social beings and sharing is part of life. But we want to have razor sharp control over that, which is easy in face to face  comms. I hope they continue to sharpen this edge, but of course it must always favor advertisers who pay the substantial cost of running this service. They want what they want. And now of course, there is the NSA also which is back doored into all these services, including this one we are reading. Whether that matters or not is based on philosophical and political science beliefs, and I have sympathy for all sides of that argument. However, right now in 2015, it doesn't look like there is any turning back as we race for the cliff. Just ask Ted Kachzinsky. 

This is not your father's Oldsmobile. 

• Like 1

Nothing today competes with Facebook. That's my final conclusion. Not newspapers, not TV, not Google, not anything I can think of can do what FB does easily and painlessly, but at a price, of course. 

Facebook is nominally free. But of course they make hundreds of billions of dollars. Advertisers are willing to pay handsomly to have a shot at your eyeballs, and so the cost to you is that you rent out your personality. No doubt, I can see the downsides to this exchange. But, the upside is substantial, especially for curious people with lots of interests. I can aggregate all my varied interests in a matter of minutes, and then enjoy one smooth, seamless, consistent flow of content that would for me normally involve public libraries, newspapers, TV, and the old fashioned idea of "web surfing" - which is surely going to die very soon. In addition to the aggregation, which I can certainly choose to do in a silo, I can exchange communications with others of the same interest. All that, and I can say "Merry Christmas" to dad as well. 

Continue to keep an open mind and don't limit your sources too aggressively or you'll essentially be putting blinders on.

Seek balance & accuracy.

Edited by Arrow#422

• Moderators

It's a good way to keep track of family too, especially if you have a big one, with a lot of kids like I do. I'm frankly kind of surprised by the lack of involvement from this group. Does anyone here ever look at my business site - yeah, consider it a poll of sorts, I'm curious.

I have, and I have always liked it.

• Like 1

How do you check news on facebook? Do you join different news outlets?

Yes. Millions upon millions of publishers have a FB "Like" button on their online product. Each time you "like" thou will get their posts into your feed. Each post is usually a photo with a short synopsis of the story. If interested you tap the item and then within FB it opens to the full content inside FB and perfectly rendered. Even if you are on small screen mobile.

Magazines, papers, institutions, gallery, businesses, clubs, anything you can imagine has a FB feed.

• Like 1

Continue to keep an open mind and don't limit your sources too aggressively or you'll essentially be putting blinders on.

Seek balance & accuracy.

Hmmmm? I don't know what you mean? I read and follow an extremely wide range of publications on philosophy, economics, writing, art, current events and science. I don't think I have any blinders on.

Seek balance & accuracy.

Hmmmm? I don't know what you mean? I read and follow an extremely wide range of publications on philosophy, economics, writing, art, current events and science. I don't think I have any blinders on.

I think what he means is, have you included any material that you would normally find repugnant - views that are contrary to your beliefs. It's easy to see yourself as well-rounded and without blinders but if all you take in is what you agree with, then you have blinders on.

I think all College's should offer a course (mandatory) that requires the student to assume the antithesis of what they believe for at least 6 months. All consumption must be from the opposite point of view from which they naturally view the world. And then write a paper on the experience and whether it helped them gain a wider understanding of the world in which we all must live and get along.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 2

Insofar as Facebook is concerned-- with business it's like the need to have a Yellow page ad site with a digital feed for information and it's invaluable....for the record, I only clicked on this thread because I was looking for political news and discussion that had been circumvented and I'm not on Facebook because I don't want old girlfriends to looking  me up...

I read an article at home this morning.  It was about a study linking facebook to depression.  It took 2 groups, one used fb normally and one was made to stop visiting the site for a week.  The group that stopped using was overall much happier and the normal users more depressed.  They think people generally post more positive things and images about themselves creating a more ideal online persona that normal people generally don't match up well to.  I believe there's been several other studies that reached the same conclusions.

• Like 1

It's a comparison effect - oh my, look how wonderful everyone else's life is (in comparison).

They vacationed there, bought a such & such, moved to a new house, accomplished this or that, etc. 

FB can overwhelm & literally bombard you with that kind of noise, and I can see where the depression mode could set in.

FB can overwhelm & literally bombard you with that kind of noise, and I can see where the depression mode could set in.

That doesn't even take into consideration the effect that bullying can have.  It's rampant with kids.  I had to get involved in a situation with my youngest daughter once for just such a circumstance.

• Like 2

• Moderators

That doesn't even take into consideration the effect that bullying can have. It's rampant with kids. I had to get involved in a situation with my youngest daughter once for just such a circumstance.

I have had people imitate my niece that I had to get involved in, other situations as well, there are a lot of very strange things on there. If you are in a law suit it is the first place that attorneys check.

Edited by dwilawyer

facebook is what you make it.

age group and maturity feed directly into it.  younger folks may obsess, judge, feel judged - directly affects self esteem

more mature people can keep up with family and friends.

and, of course, there are always the crazies that come in all ages -- relatives, neighbors, everywhere

i have reasonable contacts (aka family members)  and slightly crazy ones (aka family members).  

i can turn off 'notifications' and filter out the CRAP i don't want to see.

i like some of the jokes and motivational things,

and i save the best video clips for lunchtime with MKP:-)

https://www.facebook.com/CampfireStories/photos/a.263532007016521.57807.139496192753437/693791253990592/?type=3

i do like the connection (most of the time)

• Like 3