R-115SW vs. R-112SW

stamatis87

• 1 month later...

I am planning buy new audio setup for my HT : 

Front: RP-260F

Rear: reused my old Infinity Alpha 40 - temporary solution, there will be ofcourse some Klipsch also :)

Center: no space, maybe later

Sub: probably R-115SW

but my room is small..cca 25m2, but I will move to new house in next 4 years...so maybe I will reuse the sub later... shall i buy the 15" or the 10" ? 

thanks

The 15 in. sub will have everything that the 12 In. sub will have and more.  Better to go large, than not have enough later.  It also helps break-in the significant other for more later, lol.  Welcome to the forum!

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

I'd say go for the 15" now, and save yourself time, money and aggravation of trading up later.

+1 I made that exact mistake and traded up within the same year. I started with a single 12 then added a second, then sold them both and bought 2 15's.

Edited by Mike M
  • Like 1

If the 12" is an older model it has a different gain control than the newer models.

I contacted Klipsch about my identical 15"'s that were purchased 6-8 months apart.

Klipsch advised me that the new R-1xxSW's had a gain knob revision after a few months due to a static noise that was evident when no data was being played.

So, yes- the 15" probably being newer than their older 12" demo model has a different gain, my two subs are about 4 notch marks different to have equal output!!

The 15" is a beast for a mass produced 'cheap' sub! $700 for a 15" that matches the copper woofer towers... Hellz yeah! (Yes I understand that DIY subs are more cost effective, and many I.D. Companies are a better value.... But if aesthetics are important, I think these subs are beauties!)

Any idea if they are doing anything for owners of the original version? My 112SW does this and it is audible. Have tried a few different things but no fixes. Will call klipsch tomorrow. Edited by BluBitRates

I opened a ticket and with my serial i think they could determined that i had one of the affected amps (which i knew already!). Sounds like they are going to send me a replacement amp. Klipsch is a really great company. Looking forward to getting some RP-280f speakers in the future. Just wondering if i should go black or cherry!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to getting some RP-280f speakers in the future. Just wondering if i should go black or cherry!

Get the RP-280FA's with the black or walnut real wood veneer. You're welcome. :)

I'm not a big fan of the normal black. The cherry is pretty in my opinion. You don't see much of it though. I just got some cherry bookshelves and I like them. But, they're sitting on furniture that is also fake cherry veneer. Kind of depends on what else is going on in your room.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters