Jubilees: Alternative Package

PrestonTom

I like it!  What caught my eye more than the light fabric was the wood trim.  Tastefully done!

Might even show it to the wife.

(grunt grunt)  I ain't skeered to walk into Joann's fabric alone...

(I usually hold her purse while she's shopping....  I'll drape it around my neck like a horse feed-bag.  I've had many women (and sometimes a couple guys) make a comment about liking my purse....  I smile, thank them and say "it matches my shoes!" and we all got a chuckle)

Well Coytee,

Sonja does not even think I can match a shirt and tie. When she hears that someone actually thinks that I had a design that was "tastefully done", she will have a good chuckle. Thanks for your kind words.

Looks like I forgot one. 

The room is about 11 ft wide and 27 ft deep. One half is listening room and the other half is my office/study. The ceiling is low, about 7.5 ft tall. If you have ever done a basement re-model, you know why the ceiling is so low.

Okay, so were the huge Jubilees the first thing you noticed. Did it take at least 300 milliseconds to notice them? You see my point. It is not easy hiding the big beasts.

attachicon.gifJubilees in Room.jpg

WOW Dude are those Magnepans? :wacko:

Looks like I forgot one. 

The room is about 11 ft wide and 27 ft deep. One half is listening room and the other half is my office/study. The ceiling is low, about 7.5 ft tall. If you have ever done a basement re-model, you know why the ceiling is so low.

Okay, so were the huge Jubilees the first thing you noticed. Did it take at least 300 milliseconds to notice them? You see my point. It is not easy hiding the big beasts.

I will confess that at one time I did own Maggies and also Vandersteens. What can I say .... I was influenced. These sound better however.

Looks like I forgot one. 

Haha, I thought the same thing at first....I was surprised to see Tom go to the dark side, but I see that's not the case, haha.

I really like the curved front Tom, that's a really cool look. Especially with wood trim.

It's got me thinking of some other ideas (which I hope you don't mind me sharing). I know some of us are gear heads and I was just thinking that something like this could be incorporated as part of the room instead of the speakers themselves. You could basically have a big scrim that went floor to ceiling, and front wall to side wall that was removable - and then you put whatever speakers you want behind it. That way us gear heads could swap through equipment all the time and the significant other would never know the difference. How many guys are always worried about their wives seeing another new set of speakers in the house? Just keep it hidden!

You really gotta take a set of Jubilees like this to one of them trade shows - everyone is gonna think they're planar speakers, but be floored when they hear the sound.

Which drivers you got in your Jubilees, Tom?

• Like 1

They look super nice Tom......I also like the wood trim.....Great job for sure...

I would love to have a set of Jub's one day......one day.....

Hey DrWho.....there's no hiding new speakers from my wife.....being I work with her and she just joind the forum this morning.....there's not hiding a whole lot from her.... lol lol.....hell she was the one that found our LaScala's some 23+ years ago....

MKP :-)

Looks like I forgot one. 

Haha, I thought the same thing at first....I was surprised to see Tom go to the dark side, but I see that's not the case, haha.

I really like the curved front Tom, that's a really cool look. Especially with wood trim.

It's got me thinking of some other ideas (which I hope you don't mind me sharing). I know some of us are gear heads and I was just thinking that something like this could be incorporated as part of the room instead of the speakers themselves. You could basically have a big scrim that went floor to ceiling, and front wall to side wall that was removable - and then you put whatever speakers you want behind it. That way us gear heads could swap through equipment all the time and the significant other would never know the difference. How many guys are always worried about their wives seeing another new set of speakers in the house? Just keep it hidden!

You really gotta take a set of Jubilees like this to one of them trade shows - everyone is gonna think they're planar speakers, but be floored when they hear the sound.

Which drivers you got in your Jubilees, Tom?

Thanks for the kind words.

I had also toyed with the idea of a sheet mounted to a frame with a piece of crown molding on top and baseboard on the bottom and painted the same color as the trim. Then tuck this into the corner at a diagonal to hide the speaker. The joints would not be tight of course, but it would disguise things and you could swap speakers in and out.

I did swap out the K-69 driver for a JBL 2446. The JBL is better, but I was still amazed how well the less expensive K-69 did.

Edited by PrestonTom
  • Like 1

Looks real nice.

I think you were very successful.

Do you notice any frequency generated vibrations?

Thanks for the kind words. 

You raise a good point. I was quite concerned about rattles when I attached the panels to the sides and the grill to the front. This is why I left 1/2 inch gaps so the pieces would not rattle against each other and I also used some foam strips where necessary. 

Edited by PrestonTom
  • Like 1

Tom... Very nicely done. Rather elegant way of hiding them. If your room was larger, the speakers would look smaller, of course.

When my parents retired, the put in a modular/prefab home on a basement/foundation. When it was built, my dad a one or two extra rows of block put in. The result was a nice high ceiling for the basement. Never finished it off, but he did have a reasonable workshop down there. It was nice being able to handle wood in a room with a high ceiling

Bruce

Tom... Very nicely done. Rather elegant way of hiding them. If your room was larger, the speakers would look smaller, of course.

When my parents retired, the put in a modular/prefab home on a basement/foundation. When it was built, my dad a one or two extra rows of block put in. The result was a nice high ceiling for the basement. Never finished it off, but he did have a reasonable workshop down there. It was nice being able to handle wood in a room with a high ceiling

Bruce

A nice tall ceiling would have been nice, but you have to go with what you have. 

If my room was substantially larger I probably would have done the cosmetics in a manner similar to what Rigma did - exposed black horn on a bass bin with black grill cloth and a nice hardwood veneer on the baffle and top. Those have a nice combination of industrial and elegance in the design. 

A nice tall ceiling would have been nice, but you have to go with what you have.

You've got possibly one of two loudspeaker types (the other being Synergy/Unity horns) that don't care about low ceilings like the K-400/K-55 series of midrange horns/drivers do...among all the other loudspeaker types that don't control their polars like the K-402s. 

If you get a chance, you might try putting up something fuzzy on the side walls right next to the K-402 mouths  that is at least a foot wide.  Then listen for changes in the center imaging performance.  Those treatments can be very easily done using tapestries or something that is fuzzy.  It made an extremely large difference in my room.  Putting something on the front wall at the K-402 height also helps, but not to the degree that the side wall treatments do.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

You've got possibly one of two loudspeaker types (the other being Synergy/Unity horns) that don't care about low ceilings like the K-400/K-55 series of midrange horns/drivers do...among all the other loudspeaker types that don't control their polars like the K-402s. 

If you get a chance, you might try putting up something fuzzy on the side walls right next to the K-402 mouths  that is at least a foot wide.  Then listen for changes in the center imaging performance.  Those treatments can be very easily done using tapestries or something that is fuzzy.  It made an extremely large difference in my room.  Putting something on the front wall at the K-402 height also helps, but not to the degree that the side wall treatments do.

Chris

You are absolutely correct. I had something cobbled together for the side wall reflections and there was an improvement, but I took it down for the photos.

I am working on some cosmetics for the room treatments right now. Since the cabinets are towed out, I did not find much effect when I treated the front wall (between the cabinets). I agree with all you are saying.

• Like 1

Very nice Tom..!!!

Any method of creating the visual space that allows the brain to relax seems to always benefit the perceived sounds reproduction in my experience.  I especially enjoy listening late at night in a dark or dimly lit room with the light source behind me. I also have used lighting in the front of the room to help give the illusion of space and depth for a more relaxed experience.

miketn  

Very nice Tom..!!!

Any method of creating the visual space that allows the brain to relax seems to always benefit the perceived sounds reproduction in my experience.  I especially enjoy listening late at night in a dark or dimly lit room with the light source behind me. I also have used lighting in the front of the room to help give the illusion of space and depth for a more relaxed experience.

miketn  

Mike, Thanks for your kind words. 

One advantage to a basement listening room was that I was able to achieve some sound isolation from the rest of the house. Enough isolation so I can listen to music late at night and not disturb others. As you know, it is a nice escape.

• Like 1

Those are very nice IMO Tom. (Is your real name Tom?)  I have always (well at least since I've known about them) dreamed if I had a pair of Jubs I would do something similar.

Thank you.

My real intent to is to get others to take the plunge and get Jubilees. Drink the kool aid and order some today.

Right now a new pair of Jubilees can be shipped to your home and cost less that the new Klipschorns (even with the crossover and simple cosmetics).

Yes, they do sound better. I have owned both.

I agree with all of your notions here. Loud applause please!