Jubilees: Alternative Package

PrestonTom

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I like the fabric. Might be too busy for some, but I think it fits well with your decor. Did you have to boost the high end any? I would think an upholstery fabric would be a bit heavy and dense for a grill cloth. 

Bruce

It does fit nicely with that decor.

Finding fabric that does not attenuate the high end is a tough one. The material that I used was a "faux" linen (mostly polyester) that had a loose weave. It knocked about 3/4 dB off at 8 kHz. I can live with that. Upholstery fabric would certainly attenuate more.

Thanks Bruce and Tom. The fabric did increase the WAF and has kept her off my backside in the 20 or so years since I installed it. I didn't have a way to measure how the fabric changed the sound compared to the original grill cloth, but I don't remember hearing a difference. I have a pair of K-400 horns and have plans for a center channel, though I'm not sure of which type to build. Fortunately I now live about an hour from Mr Crites and can get his opinion, as well as hear some Jubes.

• 3 years later...

My apologies, I do have some photos so it is doable.

You might be surprised how simple it is. 

Right now this morning I need to get out and cheer my kids on in their little league game. I hope everyone gets a hit, makes a spectacular catch, turns a double play, etc. Otherwise the drive home can be very quiet. 

-Tom

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Are you sure or did I miss them elsewhere?

I am afraid that you have caught me being lazy. 

When I get a chance I will follow through. In the last month we have had two big windstorms. I am still cleaning up after a couple of trees came down. It is funny how a vertical tree may not look all that big, however when it is horizontal and on the ground they "become much larger". 

-Tom

• Like 2

I'm "pushing back" the tree line a bit and thinning out a lot of the trees in the (dense) woods right behind the house.  Some because they're within striking range should they ever fall the wrong way, but mainly to thin out the canopy and let light get in there to (hopefully) alleviate some of the dampness we feel on that side of the house, since it hardly ever gets sunling.  It's in shade in morning, has maybe hour of direct light as sun is over head, then house casts shadow and back into the darkness....

My backhoe is out of commission right now and I'm waiting until I get it done so I can drag entire trees at a time or substantial portions of them out as one piece, to the burn pile.   

I'd consider burning in place but...  not sure I care about that so close to house.  (I'd do smaller controllable fires but that would just take that much longer as opposed to dragging trees down to my actual burn pile where I can pile them up.

The street I live on has one acre lots, and many of the houses have wooded buffers between the houses. Everyone refers to these as "wetlands" and no building is permitted. These portions adjacent to the street are "mowed" by the town (once in a while) and if one of those trees falls into the road, the town is quick to remove the portion on the street (and leave the rest), but will do very little to clear the other debris if it is off the road. As you can imagine certain portions of the road are a bit "rustic" looking. Once in a while, some of neighbors, myself included, will tackle this ourselves, but it is hard to get motivated to clean up what the town should have been on top of. Do I now get to complain about "where are my taxes going to ...." No, Tom don't complain ....