New receiver for the shop

Pete H

The Carver has been a bit unreliable on the left channel, so I've been casually looking to take it out of service and replace it with something that had some better switching capability and came across this Marantz 6003 with a bad HDMI board (don't care about that at all for the shop), so I picked it up for $71.00 and now I'm not even going to fix the Carver, I'll just sell it for parts. What a nice sounding receiver. It's hooked up to a pair of RB 5's and I'm going to cart the SPUD out there, just to play, but I have to say, I'm tempted to bring it inside and do an A/B with the Onkyo because it has a much more inviting sound (at least that's my perception in the shop) This thing sounds like my Sansui 8080DB, and that has been my favorite for a few years. This is the first Marantz I've owned and definitely requires some head to head listening.

Just nice to have the switching, which will result in moving a lot of my speakers back to the shop to be able to A/B many combinations more easily. Hope some of you Marantz guys chime in and give me some of your thoughts.

post-32129-0-27100000-1449187636_thumb.j

• Moderators

Never had a Marantz but for that price I don't see how you could say no, for what your doing with it it's perfect.

Very nice and with about any connection you could ever want to use, $71, that's great . One day I will need to break down and get a new Ht receiver for Ht,(with HDMI) been putting it off for years since it rarely gets used..

I've only had a couple vintage Marantz.  Haven't heard a newer model yet.  Good to know, I'll casually look for one with a similar blown HDMI board.

Excellent garage setup you have!

I recently upgraded my garage receiver from an old JVC HT receiver to a Harman Kardon 3270 two channel (also an older unit).  Definitely an improvement!

Never had a Marantz but for that price I don't see how you could say no, for what your doing with it it's perfect.

Very nice and with about any connection you could ever want to use, $71, that's great . One day I will need to break down and get a new Ht receiver for Ht,(with HDMI) been putting it off for years since it rarely gets used..

That's what my thoughts were too.  There are so many used HT receivers out there that you can buy for next to nothing, I would just start trolling the bay and the list and you will find something.  I run all of my video signals directly to the TV with HDMI from the blu-ray and satellite receiver and run the audio directly from those units to my HT receiver and have never used the HDMI switching in the receiver, I just don't see the point, or why I would want another board in the signal chain, but that works for me, I'm sure there are others that would have specific reasons for using the HDMI on the receiver, but I haven't come across one yet.

• Moderators

That's what my thoughts were too.  There are so many used HT receivers out there that you can buy for next to nothing, I would just start trolling the bay and the list and you will find something.  I run all of my video signals directly to the TV with HDMI from the blu-ray and satellite receiver and run the audio directly from those units to my HT receiver and have never used the HDMI switching in the receiver, I just don't see the point, or why I would want another board in the signal chain, but that works for me, I'm sure there are others that would have specific reasons for using the HDMI on the receiver, but I haven't come across one yet.

For what your using it for there is no reason.

My HTR is so old it has no HDMI and has no processing for the new sound of the BR disc, I use a BR player and without the HDMI connection I can only go 6.1 separate cables as an input to the old receiver and it still  can't decode the new formats. One day I will get a new or used HTR.