Phono/Amp/Cables for RF-7s and Marantz TT-15s1?

bfjones01

Hello all,

I just moved and took the opportunity to get rid of my college gear and hand-me-downs.  I'm left with a pair of RF-7s (v1) and just got a great deal on a refurbished Marantz TT-15s1.

I'd welcome some recommendations on the rest of the system. A few narrowing points:

-I intend to use the included Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood (MM) cartridge, but I could always sell it and get something else. Music will be a mix of jazz, classic rock and new indie rock/electronic.

-Budget is flexible but I want to end up at the apex of the cost/performance curve. If I can get a great deal on something that I'll keep for decades and upgrade around, new or used, I'd be willing to invest.

-I'm completely ignorant on cables beyond stock RCAs & copper wire. Some education would be great.

-I'm thinking some tube amplification might pair nicely with the speakers, either in one stage or both. Opinions seem to differ on the best way to go.

I've been looking into:

Yaqin (phono & power stages)

Budgie (phono)

iFi SS phono mini

Jolida JD9ii

Emotiva

MFA (Magus C phono)

Decware (phono & power stages)

Audible Illusions

Cary Audio, McIntosh & other fantasy gear if the value prop is compelling

I should also mention that I've heard little in the way of quality systems.  I've gone to audition gear at a couple places and found the experience unenjoyable for various reasons. I'm just trying to read all I can.

If you've heard any of the above gear, or have other suggestions, I'd like to hear what you think.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by bfjones01

I think a McIntosh MA 5100 or MA 6200 would be a great Klipsch partner and be a unit you'd enjoy for many years to come. $1000-$1300 would buy you a nice example from Tom Manley at www.mcintoshaudio.com and you'd have great resale value. But you'd likely fall in love with it so much, you'd be hard pressed to get rid of it ever. 

• Like 1