Just to close the loop...

I restore a lot of vintage speakers...

I have some good ones too

I am slowly realizing these RB-5s are some dynamic and wonderful speakers to listen to. I completely agree they do not need a Subwoofer.  I am listening to Boz Skaggs "DIG" cd tonight and they are just blowing me away.

Very happy with them

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, jjptkd said:

No need to get upset here, this is clearly some kind of misunderstanding and I'm just trying to clear things up.

I get that the "measured" ohm rating is different than the "stated" ohm rating and what I'm telling you is that across the Klipsch speaker models there is two versions of this diaphragm; one with a "stated" ohm rating of 8 ohms which typically measures around 6.8 ohms and another with a "stated" rating of 4 ohms, which measures at 3.3 or so. The ones that measure lower are not worn versions of the same diaphragm they are different from the factory--  

JJPTKD

Sorry I was looking back over this thread tonight and reprocessing the wonderful information that was shared...and I tripped over this section of the thread.  I WAS IN ERROR. I was having a bad week and took it off in a weird direction.  You are 100% correct and I was trying to make a point that was not entirely on track with what you were trying to tell me.  Ya I know better now.  Thanks for your patience.

• Thanks 1

Here is another issue to mull over...

Picked up a pair of crossover boards to use for a recap project

I believe that the P/N: 116436 is for the RB-5 and P/N: 116487 (the new pair I got) are for the RB-5 II.

Can anyone confirm?

I will say this about the two crossovers, the overall board condition of the new right-hand boards (one is shown) was dreadful. It has been cleaned and is ready for reassembling to backplate.

P/N: 116436 - 

• Looked like it had a better enviromental life
  • Better Connection Hardware (no rust or corrosion evident)
  • 18 AWG wiring to horn and driver

P/N: 116487

• Back of Circuit Board (CB) had solder connection crude - had to use Electrical cleaner and a copper brush to clean the crude off the solder joints.
  • Connection Hardware (CB hold-down screws, "CB to backplate" connector jumpers, nuts and lock washers for back plate) had traces of rust on them.
  • 14AWG wiring to horn and driver
  • 16752988_Taleoftwocrossovers.thumb.JPG.a50e7ea26642ea41e2607de13a349910.JPG

WIth Credit to "AMPED" on his November 3rd post on page two of this thread

It is also my understanding that there are three caps to be replaced.

a 20.0 mfd cap (the black one) and two red Mylar caps. 

- The small red Mylar cap between the chokes is a 3.0mfd cap

- The large red Mylar cap under the black one is a 12.0mfd cap

My choices are SOLEN CAPS (5% TOL), Dayton Audio (5% TOL), or Dayton Audio (1% TOL)

Is this also correct?

I may have a second pair of RB-5 speakers here in the near future.  more to come

Edited by duburonf@gmail.com
context

On 11/3/2021 at 12:19 AM, amped said:

...I recapped my RB-5 Mahogany(s) about two years ago. I got the parts from Crites andschematic was included....

HI AMPED  great post you made on November 3rd last year (pg2 of this thread)... by any chance... do you still have a copy of that RB-5 schematic that you can post???

I love my RB-5s!  have used them in my bedroom system driven by a pair of Dynaco MkIV monoblocks (my wife complained about both the size and loud sound!  They now reside in my office system driven by a McIntosh MA6400 integrated amplifier.  wow can I rock my office now!  These speakers continue to bring me enormous musical enjoyment. I have never heard any bad comments about them from anyone who owns them and has compiled any extended listening experience with them. Warm regard from sunny El Salvador, Tony 

On 9/29/2022 at 9:18 PM, duburonf@gmail.com said:

On 9/29/2022 at 9:18 PM, duburonf@gmail.com said:

HI AMPED  great post you made on November 3rd last year (pg2 of this thread)... by any chance... do you still have a copy of that RB-5 schematic that you can post???

Here it is.  Yes, 3 caps per board- values listed in the pics on pg 2 on the receipt. 2 Sonicaps, 1 Erse.

Klipsch RB-5 Crossover Schematic.pdf

Edited by amped
upload
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, amped said:

I'll see if I can find the schematic tomorrow. Yes, 3 caps per board- values listed in the pics on pg 2 on the receipt. 2 Sonicaps, 1 Erse.

That would be great maybe post it in the pinned crossover thread too? I checked yesterday and could not find it there thanks.

• Like 1

Now lets look at the RB-5 Horns

On the left is the K-124-K Horn used in the RB-5 II

On the right is the K-105-K Horn used in the RB-5

Interesting that the only difference i can see visually is the way the ribbing of the horn casting is formed.

Looking at them at first glance I would expect the K-124-K horn casting with the extra bracing runs branching off the main ribs (in red) would sound more subdued or muted that the K-105-K casting with its single deep ribs (in yellow).

The surprise was after tapping both horns with the handle of my screw driver revealed that the K-105-K horn was the more muted or dead sounding. 

Not very hi-tech and it would not reveal what happed at higher frequencys.

I still found it interesting.

Anyway... I had never run across a comparison of the two horn structures so I thought I would post the pictures for discussion.

RB-5 Crossover and Horn-small_2.JPG

RB5Horn comparison -small.JPG

• Like 2